Lemon '09 Uly

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
So after 11 months of ownership, 8,450 mles of huge grins and big sighs my '09 Uly has gone back to HD under the CT Lemon Laws. The tale of woe, rear bearing and wheel assembly, shifter shaft seal and clutch all replaced between 4,000 and 4,550 mles. The nail in the coffin - at the end of October I took it in because the engine would run rough intermittently and die on disengaging the clutch..not good with a pantechnicon up your rear. All FI sensors, induction system, intake seals, ECM and ultimately the main wiring harness were replaced and it still was not running correctly. After about 35 days I pulled the plug and invoked the CT statute.

The thumbnail below is humor on the part of my daughters; I will get to relive the experience annually....LOL

That of course is a sample of N=1, I was unlucky and wish things had been different as it was a fun bike to ride; but s#$% happens and you have to move on. Now the good part - the dealership and HD were FANTASTIC, no hassles and everything settled in about two weeks, check in hand 12/22/09.

Sad to see the Buell brand go, sadder that my experience was flawed and good riding to those that have the Uly in their stable...as for me, sticking with used bikes from now on (ST13 has been flawless the 38K miles I have put on of the total 50K miles recorded). So that said I am looking to welcome an '05 R12GS to the garage next week - I hope for the same luck as the ST (yeah, I know FD issues; this one has had the bearing replaced under warranty).

Safe riding to all in this year of 2010. John.

Attachments

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Did you buy the Buell before or after they announced that they were being discontinued? If you bought it before the announcement, I bet the dealer wrote you a check larger than the price tag on any new ones that he may still have in stock. :eek:
Too bad you had to let go of a bike you liked. At least you were covered by the lemon law.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Yeah, Buell had some neat ideas and technology but atrocious execution and build quality. They were probably, on the average, the least reliable bike out there.

OP
OP
CTbrit

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
Did you buy the Buell before or after they announced that they were being discontinued? If you bought it before the announcement, I bet the dealer wrote you a check larger than the price tag on any new ones that he may still have in stock. :eek:
Too bad you had to let go of a bike you liked. At least you were covered by the lemon law.
I bought the Uly in Jan'09 so well before the shutdown announcement. After getting the check the dealer offered me the last Buell in the store an XB12XT at a good price..heck, I probably could have bought the one I had turned back for 1/3 of the original price I paid. However, once bitten....:p:

Top Bottom