Looking at an Electra Glide

STOC #
Took the WIC motorcycle shopping the other day. She felt very comfy on the new limited edition Ultra. Harley has come a long way in the last 10 years. It's 900 lbs and no canyon carver but I'm done chasing down sport bikes for fun. Harley has improved the transmission (must be made in Japan) to the point that it's as smooth as my 1986 FAZER. Big 103 cu inch motor is a thumper but isolated enough for a nice ride above idle with very determined and consistent power delivery. The fit and finish is Honda like (maybe better) and, other than a GPS, it needs nothing. The brakes don't measure up to those on the ST or BMW models and that's a concern. Also no wind-screen adjustment. This would be a two-up day cruiser, motel camper. I would keep the Versys for everyday and near adventure stuff and the LT for trans-continental trailer pulling camping jaunts. Would sell the Superhawk and remember it fondly as THE ONE that was never dropped.

OK Talk me out of it.

beatlejuice

site supporter IBA member
STOC #
sorry. cant talk ya out of it. had an electra glide. liked it. harleys are a good fun ride. choose the color ya like and go for it. part of riding is just having the bike YOU want.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
You gotta ride what calls you and he new HD touring bikes are nice. The new frame makes a big difference in the way the bike handles. It doesn't make it a sport bike, but they are stable now. The only question I'd have is the power, even the 110 inch CVO engine doesn't make a lot of HP.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I used to think H-D had come a long way when I bought my 2006 Sportster XL1200R. Then I had a 2006 Ultra-Glide loaner for a couple days when I took the Sportster in for its initial service. I found the Glide to be super cushy comfortable on the interstate highways, and a hog everywhere else. The 1200 Sportster was not an extremely fast bike ... and the V-Rod was the only H-D model which was supposed to be faster ... but the Glide felt like it could not get out of its own way. H-D did pump up the displacement later to offset the additional emissions controls, but the output is about the same. I'm not a speed-freak, but the Glide reminded me of an old Mercedes ... stop on the accelerator and take 5 minutes to get up to highway speed.

Both of those bikes taught me that H-D still has a long way to go. The Glide was a disappointment ... I'll never buy one. The Sportster had problems no motor vehicle should have, and the dealer could not fix one of 'em. I know H-D has a loyal following, but my H-D experience has convinced me to spend my $$$ elsewhere. YMMV.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Before you drop the coin on the HD, go take a look at a Wing ;) It does have a GPS in it :)

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Asking strangers to pick your bike is akin to having strangers pick your wife. Since you have a wife and those people have a proven track record of success, why don't you run this question by them?:D

Bike
2006 St1300
Before you drop the coin on the HD, go take a look at a Wing ;) It does have a GPS in it :)
I have a friend with a Wing who rides with some Harley folks. He said they would hang out way in the back and at one of the stops they asked if he had a hard time keepin up in the Honda. He told them they were hanging back because with all the noise they couldn't hear the audio books!

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
The HDs of new are a whole new animal, my wifes 07 has 49k on it and all we have done is change oil and filters. The new 6 speed and 96 inch motor will run right with my ST. The Ultra is a little heavier but has plenty of ooomph for interstate touring. They arent canyon carvers by any means, but they are very nice touring machines. The standard Ultra runs a little cheaper then the Wing so adding the GPS will still bring you out on top. The CVO Ultra probably doesnt have the range of the 96inch unit. With the 6 speed and 6 gallon tank you have an easy 300 mile range with the 96 anyway. Rent one for a weekend see how you feel after 1000 miles, most shops will put any rental charge towards the purchase price. Most good shops will give you one to use for the day if youre a serious buyer.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
If you're looking at a Electra-glide, why not save a bunch of bux, buy a Goldwing, and get a much better engineered, smoother, and more dependable ride in the bargain?

Heck, a 10 year old GW is still a better ride than a brand new shaker.

And, they're both made in the USA if that's your "thing." :D:D

Just sayin'...

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
NoBull wrote:

You are kidding.........right?

If not, I've got a grand that says that you are wrong!!!
Cough up the grand dude, I am the one who runs along with him with a FLHX Street Glide that runs with a 96 and 6 speed. I have taken it on several Iron Butt rides, 100,000' rides, LOE, IB'd to Moonshine in a day, on Mtn twistie rally rides and too many to count across the country jaunts with him. I love that pig, she gets me to where I am going and right back, I have averaged 20K per year on a HD, which would be doubled if I didn't have to work full time. I got the ST1100 to play with too.:D yup greedy gal.

And if you don't believe me, just ask team Colorado. (boyz plz cover me:ang1:) I even brought her to Campstock 08 after about a 3000 mile detour, ask Mellow I showed up on a HD.

P.S, she's not an old school rigid shaker. She is so comfy, everything from instrument panel to controls, I am a mere 5'2 and feel at home on her, my feet do not touch but there is more on the ground than the ST. Balance is awesome I can come to a stop and hold it if I want to and not have to put my feet on the ground.

Moderators: plz do not let this turn into a HD bashing, thxs

Attachments

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Cough up the grand dude, I am the one who runs along with him with a FLHX Street Glide that runs with a 96 and 6 speed. I have taken it on several Iron Butt rides, 100,000' rides, LOE, IB'd to Moonshine in a day, on Mtn twistie rally rides and too many to count across the country jaunts with him. I love that pig, she gets me to where I am going and right back, I have averaged 20K per year on a HD, which would be doubled if I didn't have to work full time. I got the ST1100 to play with too.:D yup greedy gal.

And if you don't believe me, just ask team Colorado. (boyz plz cover me:ang1:) I even brought her to Campstock 08 after about a 3000 mile detour, ask Mellow I showed up on a HD.

P.S, she's not an old school rigid shaker. She is so comfy, everything from instrument panel to controls, I am a mere 5'2 and feel at home on her, my feet do not touch but there is more on the ground than the ST. Balance is awesome I can come to a stop and hold it if I want to and not have to put my feet on the ground.

Moderators: plz do not let this turn into a HD bashing, thxs
Been there to see it... and riding with her too ;) This will not become a HD bashing thread... posting about another ride without bashing is acceptable ;)

Follow.........If you are going to quote me, quote the whole thing

NoBull wrote:

Quote:
The new 6 speed and 96 inch motor will run right with my ST.

You are kidding.........right?

If not, I've got a grand that says that you are wrong!!!
Like I said, there isn't a stock 96 HD with a six speed out there that will keep up with the stock ST1300.......accelleration, braking, or cornering. All day comfort stock for stock, I would most likely go with the HD........but as far as performance...........You would be down exactly $1000 on this bet.

The bottom line is this though.........everyone needs to ride what they like and what works for them....that's what I do. My point was directed at performance areas only.

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
Follow.........If you are going to quote me, quote the whole thing

Like I said, there isn't a stock 96 HD with a six speed out there that will keep up with the stock ST1300.......accelleration, braking, or cornering. All day comfort stock for stock, I would most likely go with the HD........but as far as performance...........You would be down exactly $1000 on this bet.

The bottom line is this though.........everyone needs to ride what they like and what works for them....that's what I do. My point was directed at performance areas only.
My apologies on the quote, I did push the quote button, but I do believe it copied your quote. As far as what you said above, I did not see that, I some how missed your point.:eek::.
However I do ride with NoBull and keep pace with him just fine.
As far as your bottom line...I whole heartely agree, everyone rides the ride that works for them, it's more enjoyable that way.

Thanks Sherob.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Cough up the grand dude, I am the one who runs along with him with a FLHX Street Glide that runs with a 96 and 6 speed.
Hmmmm. Let's look at published dyno and scale figures. One has 66.4 hp, 78.2 ft/lbs torque, 886 lbs. The other has 113 hp, 84.5 ft/lbs torque, 716 lbs. Cane them both hard and when one is gasping for air the other is only halfway to peak power.

Of course we buy motorcycles for reasons other than horsepower and torque. Buy what makes you smile while riding it and to heck with what we think.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Took the WIC motorcycle shopping the other day. She felt very comfy on the new limited edition Ultra. Harley has come a long way in the last 10 years. It's 900 lbs and no canyon carver but I'm done chasing down sport bikes for fun. Harley has improved the transmission (must be made in Japan) to the point that it's as smooth as my 1986 FAZER. Big 110 cu inch motor is a thumper but isolated enough for a nice ride above idle with very determined and consistent power delivery. The fit and finish is Honda like (maybe better) and, other than a GPS, it needs nothing. The brakes don't measure up to those on the ST or BMW models and that's a concern. Also no wind-screen adjustment. This would be a two-up day cruiser, motel camper. I would keep the Versys for everyday and near adventure stuff and the LT for trans-continental trailer pulling camping jaunts. Would sell the Superhawk and remember it fondly as THE ONE that was never dropped.

OK Talk me out of it.
There are no bad bikes, just wrong bikes for the type of riding you wanna do.

I currently work for a Harley dealership. When I got into riding I had heard (and believed) most of the bad rep Harley's got. My opinions have majorly changed. Harley HAS come a long way when comparing their current line up to their predecessors. The bikes are very solid and pretty reliable.......if you leave them stock. I'll warn you that it's amazing how many more problems the guys who started doing exhaust/downloads/chrome/ect have versus the guys that just keep them stock.

Something I would recommend doing is start checking out the maintenance costs and intervals. This is the one that gets the most sticker shock for new Harley riders, especially coming off less maintenance intensive brands/models such as the Honda ST. If you use the standard Harley oil, they recommend you change it out every 2500 miles. If you use Syn3, you got up to 5k between changes. Also, start hunting down an aftermarket source for tires such as Two Brothers Tires. The stock Harley tires are waaaaaaay overpriced and the only difference being they have "Harley-Davidson" molded on them.

Not sure if you're thinking of buying new or used but stick with 2008 or newer. The new frame and many of the updates are worth it. I also strongly advise getting the extended warranty. Harley's come with a 2 year warranty which is awesome but even if you're not planning on putting a lot of miles, if you get caught with a major issue outside of the warranty, the cost of parts and labor could be shocking.

If you're just looking to cruise in comfort, I think you'll really enjoy the Electra. Look into the rider backrest.....you'll thank me. :D

I think the Harley's have received the wrong kind of reputation and image as a result of both owners and Harley Inc. It annoys me when I see the almost elitist type attitude permeating the brand. It's treated as if the bike is better than anything out there..........it's not.....and quite frankly, no bike is. The more I look at the Harley bikes, I start to see past the corporate BS and bad boy/rebel images to see what the bike really is and should be treated as. It's about a simpler path in life. It's about slowing down and enjoying the ride that is life. Riding it is kind of like hopping in grampa's old beat up pickup/car and cruising down an old two lane at 40 mph. It wasn't the fastest, the best handling, the most high tech features, nor the greatest looking. It was just a simpler, slower pace of life to relax. There's just so many ways to ride that I think the merits of some bikes get lost.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I've met Follow.....I won't bash anything she rides... She might kick my butt...:eek:4:

Seriously though....ride what makes you happy. Most folks here don't care one way or another....:D

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I've got a dyna with the twinkie and six speed and there is no way on God's green earth it will keep up with my wing much less my ST so find it hard to believe that an Electra Glide will keep up with the ST seeing how its 200 lbs heavier.

The maintenance on a Harley is really pretty easy, the only adjustment you have to make is the clutch and its simple. You have a lot of fluids, but the interval is 5000 miles regardless of type of oil you use. At least that's what the shop manual says. I know my Honda dealer likes me to change oil at 3000 miles so I could see a dealer pushig 2500, but its not necessary. Everything else is checking and lubing which is pretty easy.

I use Michelin tires and they are way cheaper than the tires the stealer sells. My Honda dealer installs them for a lot less than my HD dealer wants to charge me. ?'ve had more issues with the Harley than either the wing or the ST, but they are more nuisances than real problems, the horn quit, a relay got stuck, and I had a small oil leak that was fixed (by me) for $2.43.

Byron

STOC #
Took the WIC motorcycle shopping the other day. She felt very comfy on the new limited edition Ultra. Harley has come a long way in the last 10 years. It's 900 lbs and no canyon carver but I'm done chasing down sport bikes for fun. Harley has improved the transmission (must be made in Japan) to the point that it's as smooth as my 1986 FAZER. Big 110 cu inch motor is a thumper but isolated enough for a nice ride above idle with very determined and consistent power delivery. The fit and finish is Honda like (maybe better) and, other than a GPS, it needs nothing. The brakes don't measure up to those on the ST or BMW models and that's a concern. Also no wind-screen adjustment. This would be a two-up day cruiser, motel camper. I would keep the Versys for everyday and near adventure stuff and the LT for trans-continental trailer pulling camping jaunts. Would sell the Superhawk and remember it fondly as THE ONE that was never dropped.

OK Talk me out of it.
And why would we do that, the more the merrier! :D

Top Bottom