PDA

View Full Version : Question about the evaporation canister

TXRoadRash
03-21-2010, 06:39 PM
I've read on the forum that filling the ST on the center stand can lead to damage of the evaporation canister. Is there a point to which the tank should be filled "and no further," or is this not an issue?

I have the habit of pulling up to the pump, sitting on my bike, filling it "as if on the center stand," and riding off. Do I need to change this habit?

:confused:

Big Red
03-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Never heard this one before TX ROAD RASH. The ST absorbs a lot of bumps on the road anyway so what difference does it make if you fill up on the center stand or not Bro

GetaHandleOnit
03-21-2010, 06:44 PM
I fill my ST1100 on the center stand, right up to the filler cap! No Issues so far!

Blrfl
03-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Is there a point to which the tank should be filled "and no further," or is this not an issue?

There is, and it's described in your owner's manual. If you overfill the tank, and enough fuel runs into the vent hoses, it can saturate the holding material in the canister.

I have the habit of pulling up to the pump, sitting on my bike, filling it "as if on the center stand," and riding off. Do I need to change this habit?

Yes, you want to change that habit, more for your own safety than anything else.

--Mark

TXRoadRash
03-21-2010, 07:43 PM
All that the OEM-OM tell me (pages 94-95) is:

"Add fuel until the level reaches the bottom of the filler neck.
Avoid overfilling the tank. There should be no fuel in the filler neck."
I guess that extra cup or two that "caps off" the tank isn't needed anyway. But I'm hoping that having filled'er up so many times already hasn't already affected the canister...

In all my years of riding, however, I've rarely dismounted to fuel up (unless getting something to eat/drink/or to "change the oil").