harley needs help

Bike
05 St 1300 Hond
I am servicing my 2003 Electra Glide Ultra. My ST is all done, but the Harley took a back seat. I am wondering what some of you other guys are using fork oil weight. Can't get any info from dealer except to use Harley Type E.They don't seem to know what weight it is. The left fork is a cartridge type, and when I drained the oil it was red like ATF. The right fork had a dirty oil, black, and dirty, and had a smell like cowpoop. I have owned this since new, and it now has 60,000 miles on it. I have obviously neglected it a bit over the past 10 years,but am puzzled by the difference in oil quality. I would appreciate knowing if the are others out there that may know what to use. The dealer did say there is a heavier oil than the std Type E, but not to use the Screaming Eagle Oil. I have not had good luck with dealers in the past, so I refer to the experts. Your comments are all welcome!!

John

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Can't help with the oil John but I have been meaning to give you a call, one Cochrane ite to another. A buddy of mine had some dealings with fork issues on his Harley I'll give him a call. Meantime I'm sure there'll be lots chiming in soon enough. Cheers Marty

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Regrettably, Harley doesn't exactly let their dealers know the weight of the fork oil. (along with some other stuff) They just say use Type "E", Heavy Duty, or Ultra Heavy Duty.........however, the type E stuff is approx a 15wt fork oil.

As far as why the two are different colors, not sure. It is possible that some contaminants managed to make their way past the oil seal but the seal maintained its seal. Just a theory.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I would go with what Solo says. I think 15w would be good.

I think I went over 100,000 before I changed mine. Didn't feel any different with new oil in it. Went another 40,000 on that oil still no change. I did wear out the steering head bearings though.

Unless your going roadracing with it I think it will be fine.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If you are not unhappy with the Harley fork oil, why change? The bike did not come with the SE fork oil and will ride a good bit stiffer with the SE oil. No idea on the color problem.

Tom

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
I changed mine at 60k and really noticed a big difference. My Road King has the cartridge type as well on one side, both oils were the same color when drained. IIRC the ultra has a different setup to support the extra weight of the fairing.

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
Well if you are going to change give redline synthetic a try. Give them a call to ask what you should use. Did quite a bit of research on this and redline does very well with viscosity, not foaming, etc. It is not really weight but viscosity you are concerned with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Type E should be great. Replace it a little closer to schedule than 100k.

If you were packin' your Electra Glide with about 1 years worth of junk then maybe go to the heavier grade but if you change it as recommended you should have a very responsive ride.

In my past when I rode with a club some of the older guys would use spent motor oil in their forks. That was a fiscal decision and not because it was to work better or longer. Back then I rode straight chopper bars.

Ride Well,

Top Bottom