Harley Code

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
NOTE: This is not in any way bashing Harley Davidson or those that ride them.

I was visiting the other day with two of my friends that ride Harleys. While standing in my driveway they were discussing Harleys new models and some of the old models that they have either owned or have ridden. What struck me as being interesting listening to this conversation was that I didn't have a clue what they were talking about because they used terms like FLXD, FLHS, FLSC, etc...... I'm pretty sure I looked and sounded a lot like Tim "The Toolman" Taylor with my chin in my hand, head bobbing, mumbling things like "oooh yeah, that's a nice bike" and "ooooh oooooh, oh yeah, great ride".

If they would have used words like Electra Glide, Fatboy, Sportster, etc... I would have at least understood what they were saying.

Questions:
1. Were they speaking Harley Code, kinda like a secret handshake for those who own a HD?
2. Is there any way to quickly decipher this code without having to purchase a HD or is that the only way?
Mike

Bike
09 ST1300A
I am baffled by all the Harley model numbers too: FXSHD etc. also; but then I think, what does a Harley dude think of ALL the Honda model ? VTX1300, 1500CD, ST1300
:?:?

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The funny part is, they are all really the same. Some have a fairing of sorts, some have bags, they all have a v-twin and 1970's suspension.

Ray

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I'm not sure it's easy for the Harley Owners to listen to us, either:

"How's that ST treating you?"

"ST1100 or ST1300?"

"ST1300P."

"Oh, Fine. How's your VFR riding?"

"Purdy good, but I still miss the old R1100RT."

"That was almost as nice as the YZF-R1 LE!"

"Not even close! Sheesh, you'd think you were riding a C109RT!"

Hello, Pot. I'd like you to meet Mr. Kettle. :D

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
The funny part is, they are all really the same. Some have a fairing of sorts, some have bags, they all have a v-twin and 1970's suspension.

Ray
70'S? I need new magazines, I missed that upgrade notice. :)

You could confuse them too, use big words like 80 horsepower, 115 horspower,...

Raymond

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Again, I'm not trying to slam H-D or those that ride them. I guess to a HD rider, those descriptions (FLHD, etc...) are just as descriptive to a Hondaholic spouting VTX or ST.

As a non-HD rider, I'm more familiar with Street Glide, Sportster, etc... I guess I'm wondering why they refer to them with the former and not the latter.
Mike

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Actually it's not too confusing after you get some of the basics.......

With the exclusion of the V-Rod and Sportster, all Harley nominclatures usually start with "F".

The second letter usually breaks down whether the bike has pegs or floorboards. If you see "FL" just think "FLoorboards". If you see an "FX", that means it usually has pegs.

The third letter usually break it down to which family of bike your looking at. "D" for Dyna's. "ST" for Softail. "H" is touring. (Think "H" for Heavy :D)

After that is the specific model in the family. Here's a good example....

FLHRC

The "FL" states it is a floorboard model. The "H" indicates it is a Touring model. The "R" indicates it is a Road King. And the "C" indicates it is a Road King Classic.

Pretty easy stuff once you get used to it.

Honda used a similar approach way back when, but some may not realize it.....

Honda was known for many of their offroad models. When they started making street versions, that classified them as "City Bike" or better known as "CB". They added the engine discplacement after it to indicate the size. When they introduced their racing models, they continued with the same idea but indicated it was a "City Bike Racer" or better known to us as "CBR".

STOC #
I'm not sure it's easy for the Harley Owners to listen to us, either:

"ST1100 or ST1300?"

"ST1300P."

"That was almost as nice as the YZF-R1 LE!"

Hello, Pot. I'd like you to meet Mr. Kettle. :D

You're all multi-lingual to me. I know ST1100 and ST1300 :eek::

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #

"11 or 13?"

"13P."

"That was almost as nice as the R1 LE!"

Had to correct that for you........our bikes are fast so we're more to the point....:D:D :D:D

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Freshly purloined from the H-D marketing department, I give you the next 50 model names:

FLBF Road Glide
FXBDG Fat Tail
FLCDG Custom Electra Rider
XCD Super Rod
FXCD Super Custom Tail
FXCF Custom Ultra Rod
FLBDG Classic Heritage Rider
FLBU Soft Electra Tail
XCD Springer Glide
FXCF Road Tail
FCF Hard Glide
FCS Low Classic Rider
FLBI Hard Convertible Rod
FLCF Springer Glide
FLBU Custom Tail
XBDG Night Custom Glide
FXBDG Night Low Rider
FCE Ultra Dyna Glide
FLCDG Heritage Tail
FLBDG Low Heritage Tail
FBE Super Hydra Rider
FXCS Custom Road Rider
FCU Road Rider
FXBE Standard Rod
FCD Springer Super Tail
FXBU Super Night Rod
FLBE Night Rider
FXBI Low Springer Rider
FLCDG Dyna Hard Rider
FCE Electra Rider
XCS Super Tail
FXCF Heritage Glide
FLCI Convertible Road Glide
FCU Night Rider
FLCDG Ultra Night Glide
FCI Heritage Tail
FXCI Dyna Electra Tail
FCS Super Tail
FBF Electra Rod
FLBS Fat Road Glide
XBD Convertible Glide
FXBE Fat Rider
XCU Classic Ultra Rod
FLCD Hydra Glide
XBDG Convertible Hard Tail
FLBI Hard Electra Tail
FCU Night Glide
FBS Road Tail
FBS Dyna Ultra Glide
XBD Electra Fat Tail

(Yes, those were computer-generated. How and why are a long story, but the program was written years ago...)

--Mark

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Speaking as a long time Harley owner and rider, those folks who normally use the "codes" are just trying to sound cool or sound like they know more than you by using them, OR they are employed by Harley and know them by Osmosis. I'm sure the latter comes due to hearing it all the time, so that's ok. Most of us called them Soft Tails, Electra Glides, Fat Boys, etc., or just "a harley".
Yup......as a current Harley employee, I can totally vouch for that. :D:D :D:D Even as an employee, we prefer the common names vs the "codes". I only have about 2-3 years experience with Harleys and there's nothing more annoying than a guy walking in with a 15 year old model..... that was a special edition.......... only made one year .........and he walks up and only states the code...... the complete code (complete with applicable dashes) but only the code.......no year ....... he then gets disgusted when you inquire as to the year...... and some other stuff to narrow down what he has.....

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
So Mark, judging by those names, it seems clear that a lot of Harley riders are going to be getting, well, a lot of Tail. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom