St new to me. Mirror zip tie?? Help

Help- I take the cover off of the mirror. The electrical blinker wires attached to it holds it from dropping to the floor.

There is what looks like a plactis zip tie about 6 inches long. One end is screwed to the mirror cover. The other end has a square female zip tie end on it. I assume it should be attached to something so if the mirror cover comes off it will hold it. The manual indicates " a short cable keeps the mirror assembly connected to the mirror bracket" (Page 91)

Where does the zip tie end (with the square on the end) attach too?????

Actual pictures would be very helpful. The one in the manual isn't very helpful.

Thank you in advance to all that reply

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm sure there's a better picture somewhere here... but, there is a notch where those wires are that should work. It's not the best design as it doesn't take much for it to come out of that notch..

Attachments

Byron

STOC #
Hold the turn signal wires out of the way but in the circular hole. Push the large end of the zip tie into the hole. Sort of side ways at the start and it will push through. Then slide it down into the slot. If the mirror housing gets hit and pops off the zip tie will keep it attached to the bike and your turn signal wires shouldn't be ripped out.

OP
OP
The plastic tie you refer to should be run through the same slot that feeds the wires to the turn signals and runing lights. The wire tie is what is supposed to hold up your housing when it is popped off.
Thanks Big Red: That was simple. I fed the square end of the zip tie through the wire hole and pulled the thin part of the plactic tie into the small slot at the bottom of the hole the blinker wires go through. I think that right.

OP
OP
I'm sure there's a better picture somewhere here... but, there is a notch where those wires are that should work. It's not the best design as it doesn't take much for it to come out of that notch..
Thanks for the replys from everyone. The pic helps too. I really appreciate the quick responses.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
In theory that should work; however, it didn't this morning for me! My right cover popped off doing 65 on the highway. After hitting a railroad crossing I've gone over a thousand times before the mirror cover bounced off, tearing the wires apart in the process. I think I'll be able to salvage it with some paint and new connectors, but I would recommend installing tie-straps connected to the cover and bike in a big loop.

Finished up making the turn signal less yesterday and installed. Pretty quick and easy.
Didn't really notice that the retention strap slot as described above. (PC800 has a nice steel cable).
So unscrewed the strap from the mirror, installed the LEDs, got ready to reassemble when i heard the zip tie rattling down inside the fairing. A little extra work with tupperware to retrieve.

I decided to put a slip a small o-ring over the zip tie so it was less likely to slip back through the slot next time.

Top Bottom