Harley tire change?

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
Question for the HD affectionados.

My buddy has an 07 Heritage softail. He needs a new rear tire on his wire wheel. He was quoted approx. $130 to change it, hr. labor for tire ($88), $32 for tube, plus disposal fee not including tire (he can bring his own in). I've never changed a wheel that uses the belt drive. Is it that difficult? Any ideas whats required? Should you be putting a tube in a tubeless tire? Seems like alot to me.

Thanx - Dean

OP
OP
deanrd

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
Any idea where to get good instructions? I committed to help him already, so I can be commited after :<)

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Were I worked prior we had a Harley shop built in. Clever place for such work.

You'll need a lift to get the bike off the ground and hold it. Remove the rim by swearing at it. Pull the tube just like a bicycle. Replace the tire with your hands and body weight. If it's a spoke rim you can do it without a machine.

The rest of the program should be a reverse of what you have done so far.

Take your time, work slowly and methodically and plan on swearing often. I appreciate your loyalty to your friendship.

:popcorn

beatlejuice

site supporter IBA member
STOC #
beer dont forget the beer. ;) the belt tensioning will be the most critical part. get that info before you start. the rest is just nuts, bolts and tire irons.

OP
OP
deanrd

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
Swearing, beer, taking my time...

I'm highly qualified for this job!

Maybe I'll just advertise "Free PIE" after "you" complete tire change and see how many show up to help :D

Top Bottom