Say It Ain't So

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Interesting.
Why would labor cost be so different in another state? It's not like they move production to China or something.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
De-Unionizing? right to work state?

Sometimes it is about keeping the company solvent, not just keeping th stock holders happy. Harley has had its ups and downs...

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
:tc1: It is not uncommon for corporations to announce intent to move their factories or offices to get incintives at either a new location or to cause new incentives to stay at their current location. But the capital required to move is usually significant and corporations really don't want to spend that coin, but will if thought necessary.

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
That big rumble you just heard was the sound of every Harley fundamentalist falling out of their chairs.

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
[QUOTE=BakerBoy It is ...... common for corporations to announce intent to move their factories or offices to get incintives at either a new location or to cause new incentives to stay at their current location.

+1, it's all too common unfortunately

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have been hearing about this for quite a while. It would not surprise me to see Harley move manufacturing operations into South Carolina or somewhere in the south. Big tax incentives and greatly reduced non-union labor costs. I have seen a lot of companies do this. It is all about staying competitive.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
"Staying competitive" Build it cheaper but charge as much as the market will bear. It's not about making a better product at all. Sad but true. :(

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know one state that they WON'T be moving to! Kalifornia! We don't want/need industry (or people) in this state. Just ask thiose in Sacramento! :eek:4:

Bike
04 st1300A
My guess is that the labour costs on the management side of the ledger arn't a problem. They can never make too much.:tc1:

:CanFlag1::bl13:

Bike
'03 ST1300
Some of you guys act like they are going to move production to China. While a possibility, in all likelihood they will move it to a place in the South where non-union labor are the norm. Not to get overly political, but this isn't the worst thing in the world. It's good business sense.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Don't bite the hand that feeds you. This is sad that it has come to this. We were in York back in June and you could tell things were down. We did not see alot of employees. They have had a great ride but things may change. Harley needs to diversify. Dual Sport HELLO!
They can't keep selling the same old thing.

It looks like they are trying to push the Sportster again hoping to bring in the new blood. It worked in the late 80's and 90's but I don't think it will work this time. Show me a 24 yr old thats willing to buy something that he may keep for 10 yrs. Even though I have an Electra Glide I have always stated to anyone who would listen is that they are over inflated.

Only time will tell.

Top Bottom