Not just another day at Newcomb's Ranch

Byron

STOC #
They had an event at Newcomb's Ranch today put on by Pro Italia, Cafe Desmo 2010. It was a ride to benefit the rebuilding of Angeles Crest Hwy (Hwy 2). Erik Buell was one of the people performing so I had to go.

Besides the picture, he was kind enough to autograph my 1125R.

I really hope things work out for him as I think he still has a few tricks left up his sleeves with regards to motorcycles.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
That's great, Byron. I'm an Eric believer.

Did he have any thing to say about future plans?

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Very cool Byron.

Funny story:
At an MC shop open house a friend had his RC51 autographed by Nicky Hayden. Later I told him.."someone graphitti'd your bike! It's OK, I found some rubbing compound and polished it out for you."
You can imagine his initial reaction.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Thanks everyone. I wish there had been more time to socialize with him but the demand for his time was very high. I felt honored that he share some with me. Regarding future plans I overheard him mention to another fan that whatever happened it wouldn't involve another large company. The way I understand it Harley will not release the rights to the "Buell" brand we'll all have to wait and see what the new label will be. He does have Erik Buell Racing. :D

One of the guys wanted to buy him a drink but he commented that he'd love to except not before he played as he already plays bad enough; or at least words to that affect. It was like talking bikes with any of you, a very humble man.

He was about to sign a "tuber", sorry don't know the exact model, that was custom painted and a very beautiful bike. Erik commented that he hadn't see such a beautiful one before and he was worried because it deserved a "perfect signature" as to not spoil the look of the bike. He took a moment to figure out where to sign it on the tank and seemed to take a deeper breath to help settle his hand before signing because he was genuinely worried he could mess up the bike. The Sharpie flowed perfectly onto the tank and you could see the relief on his face that the owner would not be disappointed.

Now I just need to figure out the best way to protect his signature.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
What's a "tuber"??? Too me that means yams or something........

Ah! maybe it's a play on the Harley potato, potato, potato sound???

ourside

Bob & Tricia
Bike
03 ST1300
WOW sounds like a great day, wish I could have been there, I was having to much fun fighting with a log splitter all day... Yuck

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
What's a "tuber"??? Too me that means yams or something........

Ah! maybe it's a play on the Harley potato, potato, potato sound???
"Tuber" is a reference to the early bikes that had "tube" frames or frames constructed of welded tubing. Later bikes have the cast aluminum frame that also acts as the gas tank. What looks like the tank is actually a cover over the airbox.

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
ah and that makes sense... guess I can't call your bike "The Fastest Red Potato!" then...;):D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
ah and that makes sense... guess I can't call your bike "The Fastest Red Potato!" then...;):D
Mine also does not have a HD based engine but has one built by Rotax specifically for the Buell. :D

Top Bottom