Harley ST

Bike
v-rod
STOC #
I have finished another H-D V-Rod touring bike. The first one my wife took over so I had to build another one for me. The bike is a joy to ride I have done a 4400 mile 10 day ride in comfort. We will be takeing a ride to Kansas city in two weeks which will be about 3000 miles round trip. I have more miles on my V-Rods than my ST1300, but i don't plan on ever getting rid of the Honda, I like it too much.

Attachments

draboo

SpongeBob Ogler
Bike
'10 Spyder RT-S
How comfortable is the riding position with your lets stretched out towards the front? I rode a friends Sportster with forward controls like that. I didn't like it at all. Seems like much more pressure is placed directly on ones back using the more forward controls.

Obviously, you must like it, after 4000 miles in ten days!!

That is one beauty of a motorcycle.!

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Im waiting for Harley to put a VROD motor in the roadglide, enjoy Ive ridden a similiar conversion and enjoyed it.

suprdav

R.I.P - 2015/05/23
Bike
2013 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I was in Milwaukee this past Feb. for a warranty class and asked one of the engineers in the class when will Harley make a sport touring bike. His answer was it's not likely in the current economy that Harley will spend the money to develop a new model, esp. a niche bike like a sport tourer. I like the conversion you did on the V-rod. It is one of the prettiest I have seen.
Suprdav

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
I was in Milwaukee this past Feb. for a warranty class and asked one of the engineers in the class when will Harley make a sport touring bike. His answer was it's not likely in the current economy that Harley will spend the money to develop a new model, esp. a niche bike like a sport tourer.
Suprdav
Agreed. Harley builds what sells. The core Harley buyers still haven't accepted the liquid cooled revolution engine as a "real" Harley engine. Its their lowest volume model except for the Buells. And we all know what happened to Buell.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
Pretty bike. I have put 35,000 miles on my '06 Ultra and have modded it to what I like. But if Harley threw the revolution motor in the Ultra, my wife will have to set up an electrical fence around the dealer.

I know Harley's core business is air cooled, but I am willing to bet a water cooled version of their touring bike will bring a good amount of the metric touring guys over.

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
Pretty bike. I have put 35,000 miles on my '06 Ultra and have modded it to what I like. But if Harley threw the revolution motor in the Ultra, my wife will have to set up an electrical fence around the dealer.

I know Harley's core business is air cooled, but I am willing to bet a water cooled version of their touring bike will bring a good amount of the metric touring guys over.
Its not that easy. They just redid their over 10 year old touring frame in '08. The motor company is so strapped for cash right now it will be an incredible recovery if they make it without an influx of outside cash ( a takeover).
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
Its not that easy. They just redid their over 10 year old touring frame in '08. The motor company is so strapped for cash right now it will be an incredible recovery if they make it without an influx of outside cash ( a takeover).
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. Then there was the word that one of the reasons the frame was changed was for a water cooled motor..

But right now no money no new bikes.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Surgery in both knees stops me from even riding anything with forward controls. I was shopping for a Kawasaki Mean Steak, Nomad or Suzuki cruiser a few years ago. I perfer pegs under me so I can use some body english.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Surgery in both knees stops me from even riding anything with forward controls. I was shopping for a Kawasaki Mean Steak, Nomad or Suzuki cruiser a few years ago. I perfer pegs under me so I can use some body english.
That's why the Fat Bob is the only HD bike I really like... you can (or could) get mid controls instead of forward... plus love those bug eye lights!

draboo

SpongeBob Ogler
Bike
'10 Spyder RT-S
This is what I m curious about. Forward controls seem to uncramp ones legs, but it sure seems to me like there is massive undo pressure on the buttocks/tailbone when your legs are stretched out like that. Plus, as Rick mentioned, better control of the motorcycle if your legs are under you..more localized center of gravity.

That's what has been keeping me from a Vrod..the forward controls. Hard to find one with mid-controls.

We put on 8K miles on a trip last summer on my ST1100. I never had a bit of problems with the ST's riding position.

Top Bottom