Problem w/ Honda Heated Grips

Louie Louie

Just returned from service at Chaparral Motorsports. For some reason my Honda heated grips are not working. The service manager said the left grip was bad and I may have to order a new set! Anyone know what may have caused this?
The green lights are steady but no heat from either side.:confused:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
My OEM heated grips died after 2 seasons and Honda warrantied a new set. A hassle but no out of pocket cost.

The controller will continue to light even if either of the grips dies. If either dies, neither one will work.

STOC #
I am going to buy a new ST1300 and have heard numerous reports of these grip failures. My question is this, are the Honda OEM grips worth the extra cost over the aftermarket $40.00 DYI grips? I am one of those that believes in OEM stuff but not at the cost of replacement in a couple of years at 100x the aftermarket cost. What do you think?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Got the bucks go with the Honda grips. All I can say is I have symtec heaters and have no problems with them, sure the OEM stuff shuts down when voltage drops but common sense will tell ya to do that or install a volt meter.

Still deniro ahead with symtecs and a quality voltmeter.

OP
OP

Louie Louie

Would you happen to have an OEM part# for these Honda grips? Is this correct...Part #: HO-7360035

What is part # 08T50-MCA102?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna go OEM here too because I too prefer OEM stuff, but decided on Symtecs because everyone here who has them likes them, and a lot of people seems to be having trouble with the OEM grips.

Tell you what, they are awesome. And I can buy 4 pair of Symtecs for what the OEM ones cost.

-John

OP
OP

Louie Louie

I know...Its just I miss my Honda grips....I've used them for 3 years..:(

Heated grip failure

I too had heated grip failure. The grips are in series and if one fails the they all fail. After using an ohm meter to determine that the left grip was the culprit, I notified my dealer. He tried to get it warenteed but Honda said no sail since it was not purchased with the bike. I had to purchase the whole set as no single grip could be purchased alone. Ken.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If I had it to do again, knowing how to wire farkles like I do now, I'd go with Symtechs and put a set of gel grips over top. The OEM grips are hard. I put grip puppies on and they were too thick for me. A friend with a Connie put tennis racket grip tape over his Hotgrips...soft and grippy.

Honda not only covered my original grips, which I installed, but told me my replacements were covered by the extended warranty since the dealer did the install. I won't be buying any more heated grips until at least December 2009.

OP
OP

Louie Louie

Bones said:
Honda not only covered my original grips, which I installed, but told me my replacements were covered by the extended warranty since the dealer did the install. I won't be buying any more heated grips until at least December 2009.
I have an extended warranty and I'm hoping its covered!

Bike
2005 ST1300
Louie,

Mine are dead as well (Honda OEM)... Same symptom as you although being in CT and still riding in 30 ish degree days I have MORE need than you..;)

My controller lights up but nothing out of either grip..
I have an appointment on Monday to get them replaced..FWIW The service dude indicated that accessories are only covered for one year. I am still in the warranty period so I am all set..
I'll let you know what the problem turns out to be.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
PalmSpringST said:
I have an extended warranty and I'm hoping its covered!
When I bought my bike I asked the dealer to install heated grips and the dealer could not get them from Honda. I could get them from a Honda dealer in Florida, but not in Massachusetts. So I bought them from Florida and did the install with my buddy the former Honda tech. When my grips died, Honda first told me that they weren't covered since I did the install, but when I explained how my dealer could not get them from Honda, they did some digging and discovered that when introduced they were rolled out regionally, not nationwide. Why they'd ship heated grips to Florida before Massachusetts remains a mystery. But true enough, my dealer couldn't get them so Honda said OK, we'll pay for the new ones. All I had to agree to do was return the bad grips to Honda, and the dealer took care of that. The dealer and Honda were both quite agreeable about the whole thing.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
ekcwmi said:
I am going to buy a new ST1300 and have heard numerous reports of these grip failures. My question is this, are the Honda OEM grips worth the extra cost over the aftermarket $40.00 DYI grips? I am one of those that believes in OEM stuff but not at the cost of replacement in a couple of years at 100x the aftermarket cost. What do you think?
The OEMs are over priced and unreliable, go for an aftermarket brand like the Kimpex or Symtec. I used the latter and am very pleased. They come with a very clean looking switch for an OEM look installation.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
wjbertrand said:
The OEMs are over priced and unreliable, go for an aftermarket brand like the Kimpex or Symtec. I used the latter and am very pleased. They come with a very clean looking switch for an OEM look installation.
Agree. I have 3 years and 74K on the same ones and so far so good. I did have a loose connection at the heater element that a drop of solder took care of.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Just bumping this thread as the same has happened to my OEM grips which I installed. They worked for two years and now I just get pretty lights on the controller and no heat.

I'm noodling around with an ohm meter to isolate the problem, but it looks like I'm in it for a new set. Can't go with another brand now as the controller is already dug into the panel. :roll:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
East, the left side fairing panel is not expensive if you want to go with other grips. I think I paid around 10 bucks for one from Ron Ayers.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Just bumping this thread as the same has happened to my OEM grips which I installed. They worked for two years and now I just get pretty lights on the controller and no heat.

I'm noodling around with an ohm meter to isolate the problem, but it looks like I'm in it for a new set. Can't go with another brand now as the controller is already dug into the panel. :roll:
Yes you can assuming it's the grip not the controller. If you go with symtech elements uder the grips wire the high heat wire and common wire to the controller. They get wired in parallel to the controller. iirc the oems are wired in series. They will present the same load to the controller. They may not get as hot as the oems.

If you find an open on one of the grips some have been able to repair the lead connection imbedded in the grip.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Don't replace the Honda heated grips controller if it's not broken.
Instead, install a pair of aftermarket grip heaters, and a pair of new grips.

Look in the ST1300 Articles section for a..., never mind here's the link.

Top Bottom