PDA

View Full Version : new grandson in ICU

rjs987
02-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Earlier I commented on the thread by rest05 in empathy for the situation his granddaughter was going through. Good to hear things are improving for her.

We have a new grandson (Logan) born this morning at 7:23 am central time. 6 lb 8.6 oz, 17.5 inches. He was having a hard time getting his breath so they moved mom and baby to the main hospital in town. His lungs turned out to be somewhat underdeveloped and there was air in his chest cavity. Breathing tubes not right, though I am not certain what the exact issue is there. The first attempt to vent the chest cavity and get o2 into lungs didn't go well but the second attempt did. The air in the chest cavity was vented and is not returning (good). He wasn't initially passing any fluid and they found that his urinary tract didn't develop quite right. He is still in ICU tonight but doing better. He is passing fluids now but Drs are concerned about his liver and kidneys. Dr says all the big things are good so it's just a bunch of little things now. They started him on 52% o2 and tonight he's down to 44% o2. The goal is 21% o2.

Needless to say, we are very concerned until he is out of ICU.

Chance
02-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Wow. Wishing you the best. At least he's in good hands. Patience is the key here. Will be thinking of you.

yelsob
02-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Happy thoughts coming your way!!

DANS ST
02-08-2011, 08:36 PM
I just said a prayer for all of you!

carpdm
02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Praying for continued improvement.

SupraSabre
02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Prayers and well wishes on the way!

970mike
02-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Wow I am so sorry to hear this sad news! We are hoping and praying for the best!

John Anthony
02-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Bob,

Maggie and I will keep Logan in our thoughts and prayers until he has fully recovered. Please keep us posted on his progress. Prayers for his mom, dad, and medical team as well.

John

STefani
02-08-2011, 11:48 PM
I hope things improve real soon for the little guy. My thoughts are with you all.

Mellow
02-09-2011, 04:14 AM
Thinking of you and your family, shooting out some prayers for the little one.

motomac
02-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Prayers for Logan's complete recovery from Womantriker and I.

Abby580
02-09-2011, 05:54 AM
Poor little tyke. It's a hard way to get started. The news sounds good that he will continue to improve. So, just to make sure, we'll double down on the prayers being sent.
Welcome to the world liitle one. We'll do our best to make it good for you.

Abby

Frosty
02-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Sounds like Logan is in good hands. Prayers go out to all.

rjs987
02-09-2011, 06:41 AM
This morning is a new day and Logan is one day old and still in there. No news yet since I started this thread. Asked my son via txt message if there was any update/change and in his concise way replied "nope" so I guess that's ok for now. The little fella just has to have some time to finish developing.

Someone said to me recently that no news is... well, no news. Not bad or good. Just have to wait and see. We rely on God to do what is best for him.

Peppermint
02-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Oh dear - I just saw this thread! So sorry to hear Logan is having some troubles, poor little nipper! :(
But very glad to know that he's made progress and that the "big things" seem to be under control.
Here's hoping he continues to improve. Please add my thoughts and prayers for all of you.

Patty

FLSTRDR
02-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Prayers lifted up

Sonny

fnmag
02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Prayers going out for little Logan.

George
02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Natal Technology has improved greatly in recent years. Best wishes and much strength from The CattHouse. Hang on, Logan.

rjs987
02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Here is the little guy in ICU last night.

Did find out this morning that the o2 level being fed to Logan is down to 26% now (good).

Peppermint
02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Awww! It's so heartbreaking to see him like that!!
Glad to hear the good news, though. Prayers continue.
Hang in there, little one!

Patty

STefani
02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Poor little guy! His color looks good in the picture though and it sounds like things are starting to get better for him, I hope it continues that way :)

Bigmak96
02-09-2011, 11:22 AM
More prayers coming for the little one.

punk rocka
02-09-2011, 11:47 AM
I hope he continues to fight his way through all of it and gets healthy! It breaks my heart to see little kiddos hooked up to all those machines!

Abby580
02-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Oh that just breaks my heart to see him like this. The only consolation I can think of is he won't remember any of it in addition to the good news that he is improving. As Stefani said, his color is good. That is a BIG plus.

I just placed a virtual kiss on his little nose and am sending big hugs to his parents and grandparents as well as continued prayers.

Abby

rjs987
02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Went to the hospital again tonight. Logan is continuing to improve little by little. They have the o2 from the respirator turned down to 24% now. The nurse told me they expect to get down to 21% by tomorrow sometime, which means taking him off the respirator to see how he does. They had been keeping him on morphine to keep him relaxed and pain free and so he won't thrash around and dislodge the sensors and tubes. Today they took him off the morphine for some hours and he was awake. When he started to thrash around and indicate that he was still in some pain they put him back on. Most of the thrashing was the normal newborn baby kicking and arm thrashing, but he was also arching his back and holding himself stiff sometimes and that indicated some pain. He can feel the vent tubes on each side of his chest (in photo just under his arm pit), and the respirator tubes down his throat. We found out today that the Drs believe that he cried so hard at birth that a membrane tore in his lungs or bronchial tubes and that allowed air to get into the chest cavity. They will be doing further tests on his heart tomorrow also. Everything is working but they want to be sure. The first x-rays show lungs and heart push over to one side due to the air pressure. Over all he is looking better today than he did yesterday.

The Duke
02-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I feel your pain. My youngest was born at 26 weeks and weighed 1 lb 15.5 oz. She is a perfectly normal 12 year old now and as healthy as a horse. Logan will do the same, I am sure if it. Regardless, I will send positive thoughts and prayers to be sure. Please give him a HUGE hug from me when you have a chance. The human touch is almost as strong a medicine as prayer.

Abby580
02-10-2011, 05:53 AM
The human touch is almost as strong a medicine as prayer.

Lots of truth in that statement, The Duke!

Even though progress seems painfully slow, it is happening and each day will bring it's own little victory. More positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Abby

redst05
02-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Oh My God. I didn't see this with all my concern with my grand daughter. I have only been here a few mins per day. Prayers are on the way for the little bundle of joy, and to all of those involved!!!
I know what you are feeling!!!! Its hard to be the rock your family have come to depend on. But it is OK to let your guard down from time to time. Its times like this that make you rethink exactly what is important in life.

Anything I can do let me know!!!! Hang in there Bob!!!

rjs987
02-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Thank you all for your encouragement!

redst05
02-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Any word yet?? Mine has been good news. I hope yours has or will be nothing but good news!!!!

My whole family is praying for yours!!!

Karen
02-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Fingers are crossed for you Bob and for Logan. I am sure his parents are on pins and needles.

rjs987
02-10-2011, 10:04 AM
No new news today yet. I usually get updates from my wife since takes her laptop to the hospital and they have guest wireless there. She'll email me when there is something different/new to tell.

Thanks again.

sirepair
02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
More thoughts and prayers headed for Logan!

Hound
02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Got my paws crossed here!

redst05
02-10-2011, 03:24 PM
I am praying like for the third time today for him. I hope everything is going well. But they say, no word is a good sign!!!

rjs987
02-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Stopped in to check in with my daughter-in-law and Logan, as has been my routine after work. The hospital is on my way if I go through town instead of out to the interstate. Daughter-in-law is doing fine and will be released Saturday. Hemoglobin was a little off so they are keeping her around for an extra day. Logan was down to 22% o2 this morning. Late this morning they slowly removed the respirator tube from down his throat and since he was breathing ok on his own they then removed the vent tubes from each side of his little chest. He seems to be doing fine when I stopped in. The morphine was removed when they removed the tubes and tonight his eyes were open and alert and he was acting like a normal new born. Later tonight they will remove the feeding tube from his tummy and his mommy and daddy will be able to hold him for the first time since birth! I was told he will likely be staying in the hospital for a week and half to ensure his lungs heal. So good news here today.

Two Brothers
02-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Wishing you the best on this. I know its hard.

redst05
02-10-2011, 06:09 PM
YEAAAAAAH!!!!! Good News!!!!!. I know the feeling of being helpless just setting there looking at these little baby's!!! It is so good to here he is well on his way and will be in the arms of his loved ones soon!!!!
Prayers will continue to go your way!

Abby580
02-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Stopped in to check in with my daughter-in-law and Logan, as has been my routine after work. The hospital is on my way if I go through town instead of out to the interstate. Daughter-in-law is doing fine and will be released Saturday. Hemoglobin was a little off so they are keeping her around for an extra day. Logan was down to 22% o2 this morning. Late this morning they slowly removed the respirator tube from down his throat and since he was breathing ok on his own they then removed the vent tubes from each side of his little chest. He seems to be doing fine when I stopped in. The morphine was removed when they removed the tubes and tonight his eyes were open and alert and he was acting like a normal new born. Later tonight they will remove the feeding tube from his tummy and his mommy and daddy will be able to hold him for the first time since birth! I was told he will likely be staying in the hospital for a week and half to ensure his lungs heal. So good news here today.

Happy Dance! :bow1:

This is fantastic news. Just fantastic. Oh my my. I am so happy for the mommy and daddy and grandparents who must be filled with joy to be able to hold their little boy at last. All blessings shine down upon your family, and may you never know such heartache again.

Abby

Bigmak96
02-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Great news Bob! Prayers will continue for Logan.

Peppermint
02-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Oh Bob, that is WONDERFUL!! More prayers outbound for little Logan and all of your family!!

Patty

BakerBoy
02-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Bob, prayers being uplifted from here for Logan and family.
:pray1:

rjs987
02-11-2011, 08:50 AM
day 3 update: last night Logan's momma and poppa were finally able to hold him. Grandma's were also able to hold him. I had to attend to some things at my son's house that they just bought. I've been rewiring part of it since it is an older home with 2 wire outlets (no grounds). Need to update the safety for the baby.
We were told he may have a slight bit of pneumonia but he may still get to go home mid to late next week.

970mike
02-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Great pictures!! Looks like a great family Thank you for the update!

Karen
02-11-2011, 09:50 AM
That is so heart warming Bob. Keep the good news flowing!

Now you have baby things to tend to.... stay off your bike until its warm out!

Abby580
02-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I am soooo happy for all. He is a glorious little boy!!!! And what a lovely, lovely family. I'll just say another little prayer or two to keep the good vibes going.

Abby

rjs987
02-11-2011, 10:52 AM

Now you have baby things to tend to.... stay off your bike until its warm out!

Can't do that. How would I get to the hospital?

Say, I've noticed that sometimes the hospital parking lot is colder than my work parking lot :grin:
Not to worry though, it's really not so cold here in town anyway and I don't expect to go on any more coldest rides until next season.

sirepair
02-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Great to hear the positive news!! Now go hold your grandson!

redst05
02-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Good news!!!! Twice this week when it comes to grand kids!!!!!!!Good to hear yours is on the way to good health. But please go and hold him... You will love!!!

rjs987
02-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Did get to hold him tonight. My wife and the other grandma and, of course, mom and dad have been holding him as often as they will allow. He is trying to nurse but doesn't have much energy level right now so falls asleep and doesn't nurse. This would be the next hurdle to get over now. He does get fed (IV). Needs to figure out about sucking, swallowing, and digesting.

rjs987
02-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Got to hold him again tonight. Fell asleep on my chest. He had just finished feeding. He is nursing now but tonight after getting a tummy full from nursing he promptly spit is all up. Nurse checked and sure enough there was nothing in his tummy! So he got another feeding, a little with the bottle and a little with the feeding tube that is still into his tummy through his nose. I was holding him for that last part of the feeding while the nurse did the actual feeding letting gravity drop it all in. He had soaked his sleeper, his mother's shirt and the pillow in her lap when he spit up so I was wondering if I was going to get splashed also but it did stay down this time and then he fell asleep. He was put back on o2 again but not with the respirator, only having it blowing into his nose. His mother is released from the maternity recovery unit and is moving into the NICU room to stay with Logan for the remainder of his stay there. The nurse told us tonight that he will likely be there 2 weeks. They want to see him go 24 hours without o2 AND keeping his food down from nursing AND showing a weight gain before they will remove the feeding and o2 tubes. Then they will likely hold him for another day just to be sure before releasing him to go home. He is so far gaining weight a little at a time so that looks promising.

Peppermint
02-12-2011, 08:56 PM
That looks promising indeed. Prayers still going out for little Logan and family.
Great pics, by the way, he is a beautiful boy!

Patty

redst05
02-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Wow!!! Lots of improvement but a long way to go. I feel you pain and don't wish this on even an enemy. Hang in there and take this time to understand what the important thing in life are. Family, Friends. Good Health, And the time to spend with all!!!
My continued prayers to you and your family for the strength to make it through this awful time!!

Karen
02-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Keep up the good work Logan. Grow grow grow!

rjs987
02-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I know it will be a while before Logan can be released from NICU and I will continue to update this thread as changes happen. I also want to encourage all of you to pray for other newborns all over as you remember. The NICU is not a small wing of the building and most of the rooms have babies in them, mostly newborn. One of the nights we were walking to Logan's room we overheard a dr tell another that "she" would not make it. They were standing outside a room with a newborn in it and it hurts to know there would be parents and family loosing their baby. I don't know anything about that situation or what conditions brought that baby to NICU but it still hurts to hear that.

rjs987
02-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, another step closer to going home for Logan. He is now off o2 altogether. He still has the o2 sensor on his foot that he has had all along just to monitor. He has an IV again to put in antibiotics and still has the feeding tube just in case he doesn't feed enough. He needs to get 45 ml of mommas milk each feeding. He is getting that by bottle mostly but some nursing too. All other sensors are removed now and he is in a regular crib. No more incubator bed! Doctors said if he keeps improving like he has he now may possibly go home as early as Tuesday. :grin:

I've been rewiring their new (to them) house While they are out of it. At least many of the outlets. It was built in 1964 and has 2 wire plugs all around except in the kitchen that was re-done a few years ago. There were some other 3 prong outlets in some of the rooms but no ground to those. One such room was the baby room. Not a good situation. So I've been running grounds to outlets, replacing some outlets as needed. I totally replace the circuit to the washer since that was being shared with the rest of the partly finished basement (very bad) and it is now on a dedicated breaker. Added lights over the washer/dryer since there were none! Just working toward making the house safer for baby Logan when he comes home.

jrnySTer
02-13-2011, 07:17 PM
That's great news, prayers will continue

jpdexter
02-13-2011, 07:18 PM
God bless all the wee ones everywhere. Years ago our cousins lost a baby. Sometimes all the prayers and all the medicine in the world cannot help a baby born too soon.

Our forum babies are coming along as we wish them to do. It's slow to be sure with little Logan, but it's steady to the good. He'll be a fine strapping lad in the end, God love him.

Peace,
jp

Karen
02-14-2011, 12:07 PM
we overheard a dr tell another that "she" would not make it. They were standing outside a room with a newborn in it and it hurts to know there would be parents and family loosing their baby.
That is probably a vision that will haunt you for the rest of your life. Very sobering and upsetting to hear. Prayers for that family shall be raised.

rjs987
02-17-2011, 08:03 PM
A BIG Thank You to all who prayed and remembered about little Logan.
He finally got to come home today. I haven't been able to see him for 2 days since I was down with a really bad bug (dizzy, fever, chills, etc) so I stayed away. He is starting to gain some weight now with the help of some formula to go with mamma's milk. But he is home now. I still have a built in excuse to visit since I still have many outlets in the house to replace and run a ground wire to. Our daughter-in-law is having her mom stay with them tonight and asked my wife to stay with them tomorrow night. I've been asked to help hang pictures and curtains and such around the house. Tonight my wife got to bottle feed Logan, wish I had a photo of that since she was glowing herself while holding him. And NO, there are no, can be no plans. She is very happy to have a 'grand' baby to coddle and then give back to the parents when the time is right. :grin:

Bigmak96
02-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Great to hear that Bob, enjoy that baby!

970mike
02-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Great news Bob! Thank you for the update and I hope you feel better soon!

Mike

BakerBoy
02-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Answered prayers!
:clap2:

Abby580
02-18-2011, 05:15 AM
What wonderful news at last! Your joy just fills the page! Blessings on little Logan. Now he can get busy with the job of growing.

Abby

Mark
02-18-2011, 05:18 AM
Good news indeed! (except for you being sick!)
Prayers of thanks work too... So, I'll just keep sending them.

Mark

redst05
02-18-2011, 07:07 AM
It so good to hear the good news!!!! I do believe that Prayers help.. See you soon!

rjs987
02-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Here he is at home now in his own room getting burped. (couldn't resist posting this).

970mike
02-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Nice looking boy!! Enjoy!! Thank you for posting the picture.

BakerBoy
02-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Wonderful picture! Perhaps you should frame it and use it as your little reminder to be thankful for all of life's blessings.
:pray1:

:)

George
02-20-2011, 07:51 AM
I was just gonna write...

Logan, GO HOME!!!

Looks like I'm late to the party. Great news. :D

Peppermint
02-20-2011, 08:42 AM
That's wonderful, Bob, I'm so glad little Logan is finally home!! :)
Great pic!!

Patty