V-rod test ride.

Bike
CBR1000F
Has anybody ever ridden a Harley V-rod? Tell me what you thought about it. How did it compare to other harleys you may have ridden? Why didn't you buy it? etc...

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Perhaps Metalman will chime in - he owned one for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've rode both a standard V-Rod and a V-Rod Muscle. I really like them, as nice a bike as I've ever rode. Only thing stopping me is that they are pretty much a solo rider bike and we ride 2 up most of the time. If I was going to have a 3rd bike after the ST and a DS, just for myself, a V-Rod would definitely be in the running.

Watch the Harley dealers for when they have Demo Day and go throw your leg over one for a ride, thats what I did.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Did a test run on one at Americade... Did a 2 up test with the bride.
If I was going to buy a Harley, this would be the bike. ( btw, I've ridden a Ultra for a week in CO, and a few other models for a bit at times ).

The bike had plenty of power, felt solid, handled well and brakes were good. I got it up to 85 and it had no problems I could detect.
As mentioned tho, the wife didn't like the lack of room in the passenger dept ( she's petite )... so I have to say its more a singles bike with occas passenger.

Tom

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
AJAugust has one- nice ride. It,s smooth with a nice range for the motor. Easy to ride and comfortable.

Bike
ST1300/ABS
If Harley were to find a way to increase the power of that engine and put in the Ultra, it would be my next touring bike. Although, I must admit, it will be tough to part with my beloved ST, which is the finest touring bike I've owned in my 54 years of riding.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
I rode a friend's V-rod a few years back. Though the ergos didn't suit me, it had impressive acceleration, smooth power delivery, and ample room, at least for one. But I most disliked its looooong turning radius.

Styles

Bike
ST
STOC #
After a 15 mile test ride last summer, I brought it back to the dealer ( the SV track bike was having the Power Commender re-maped) and p_ssed off the dealer by commenting that it's a nice motor looking for a bike. Motor was good for what it is (large torquey, slow turning vs a sport bike) but the bike felt clumsy when turning. The other thing was the controls - I'm stretched out and it had these big levers and grips for a much larger person's hands/arms ( or maybe someone who feels sexually inadequate). And then there's the forward foot position. Out of all the Harleys, this would be the one though ( except for a Buell - R.I.P.). As another said, I'd end up spending thousands re-fitting for who/what I am (average size).

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'm not much for forward mounted controls, but H-D made a V-Rod "Street Rod" in 2006 that had mid-mounted pegs and controls, and flatter bars, too. I'm not aware of any other V-Rod without forward controls, so maybe it wasn't what the customers wanted.

I rode them several years straight at Daytona Bike Week. It's the only Harley I'd like to have. However, I'm still not a fan of foot-forward controls. If forced to choose, I'd certainly take the ST1300.

OP
OP
Grogman1
Bike
CBR1000F
Thanks for the replies. I also need "non-forward" controls to fit my 5'7" body. My gator arms and legs just won't reach. I also think that this was the engine that should've been in a Buell.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I rode into to a Harley dealer with a friend and one of the sales guys wanted me to try the V-rod and let him know what I thought. I took it out for almost an hour. I Dont like the forward controls but after an hour I think I could get used to it given some time. (I am pretty sure I will always prefer standard controls.) The bike felt solid and was not afraid to get into some sweeping corners. Power was better than I thought it would be. Didn't vibrate like some other Harley models I have tried. I agree it is a single bike.
I know what Bike I would take if going cross country (Hint it starts with an S and ends with a T).

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Thanks for the replies. I also need "non-forward" controls to fit my 5'7" body. My gator arms and legs just won't reach. I also think that this was the engine that should've been in a Buell.
We're about the same size and to the best my memory, the first year (2003 ?) V-Rod came with "standard location" foot controls ( Forward were optional ? ). The handle bars/controls on that original bike fit me okay but haven't test ridden one (yet). I recall there were other first year issues with the bike but just not sure what. Ride Safe. Jim

I own an '03 I bought new. Like many other bikes in the stable, it came home after a test ride. The dealer let me ride it, which totally surprised me. I can't even walk into a Honda $tealer and get a ride. I have 7 bikes, plenty of money, and if I like it I buy it. I LOVED the V-Rod. Power is incredible. If you didn't know better you'd think there were more than 2 cyllinders. I have never seen a 2 cyllinder go like the V-Rod. The ergonomics are much improved with the Sundowner saddle. It is still a solo bike though. That said, it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. I've heard that people dislike how it corners. It is not a sport bike. Turn in is much slower than other bikes due to the rake of the forks. However, it rides nice for what it is, and as was previously mentioned, the engine is what makes the V-rod. Reliability has been on par with my RoadKing. One or two trips to the dealer to handle warranty covered issues, but otherwise, extremely reliable. I always thought Harley's were overpriced. Then I realized that for the price you get an alarm, auto-cancelling turn signals, a lot of refinement, and good resale value. When I bought mine in '03 the dealer included hundreds of dollars worth of accessories, like a float charger, cleaning kit, cover, first 3 maintenance visits free, and so on. Compared to any other bike I've bought, Harley knows how to make you feel special for buying their bike. That said, the V-rod was the only bike I have ever bought new, and I'd have to say I'd buy it all over again.

Bike
HD VROD
I have 2 of them. a 2006 Streetrod, VRSCR, with mid controls, and a 2009 VRSCAW VROD. Fast, smooth, fun to ride, and stone reliable. In 35 years of riding, none better. I have all the farkles, and have many cross country rides on them. Fine machine, and since it is so "un-Harley", I can ride with anybody. I do anyway, but VRODS and the folks that like them are much like ST folks - RIDERS! Hands down, the best bargain in Harleys, and as advanced as most current bikes. Different mods can bring the power way up (my 06 has a supercharger), and because Harley has been making riders into mechanics for over 100 years, plenty of bits available to stroke, big bore, turbo, NOS - whatever you want. Or, do nothing, and just ride. Stock, not a passenger friendly saddle, but Corbin and the MOCO have options to fix that. If you have an opportunity to ride one, go for it! Decide for your self - most dealerships have demo days, or will offer a test drive. You can scare yourself silly on one.......................

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The only encounter I ever had with one is when I was on my '84 V65 Sabre in a tight curve with two lanes going our way and he couldn't stay up with me because he couldn't lean it over far enough! :D

I'd love to replay that while on my :rd13: or my new :bl13:

Bike
ST1100
My brother has a v-rod muscle and can adapt it to go two up touring when he needs to. We have done two 2,000 mile trips around Spain and France. Its a great bike but not as comfy or as fast as my Triumph rocket.

Top Bottom