Close call doing valves today...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 RT
2024 Miles
I was checking my valves today and my feeler gauges fell apart in my hand, right as I was checking them..

I was thinking.... where is the nut? uh oh.....

Luckily.... if fell in a good spot...

Yeah....but where's the fiction washer? :confused:

<D>

I was checking my valves today and my feeler gauges fell apart in my hand, right as I was checking them..

I was thinking.... where is the nut? uh oh.....

Luckily.... if fell in a good spot...

Honestly I never thought about it from a perspective of the nut falling in neverland (I'm not that smart) but I take the feeler gauge apart and just use the individual min/max blades necessary. I find it easier especially with the valves that are hard to reach to just use a single blade.

Yeah....but where's the fiction washer? :confused:

<D>

Ha... you scared me for a second there... there's just one washer.. I have a coupe gauges I got from the same place and they all look the same, just one washer...

:nanner1:

Joe
That will give you a chance to make a custom set just for checking valves, assemble the pieces you need and set the rest aside.

Joe
That will give you a chance to make a custom set just for checking valves, assemble the pieces you need and set the rest aside.

I wouldn't use these if that were the case, you really need the angled ones especially for some of the exhaust valves...

TIP- stuff paper towel pieces into the openings. Keeps thing from falling into the engine. Just remember to remove them when finished.;)

If you want a 12 inch long set I know ST Dan found one. I used it at Moonshine to assist in checking his valve clearances. I always like to take the few blades out that I need prior to performing the check. Then, of course, I put everything back together when I am done.

I wouldn't use these if that were the case, you really need the angled ones especially for some of the exhaust valves...
I made my own custom ones by bending flat ones up about 1/2" from the tip. They still go back together and close up just fine.

I have a long set that comes apart with a thumbscrew.... only has a few blades... Take them apart, use them individually, then reassemble to put away.... good catch, Joe. If it had fallen in, may have ended up in the bottom of the oil pan where it couldn't do much harm. Worse if it got stuck in the cam chain..... Chuck's suggestion is a good one!

We need to take this post one step farther. What would you have done if indeed the small nut filtered its way to the crankcase??? The oil pump pickup tube probably has a screen on it. Would the nut remain on the bottom, never to cause a problem? Would the nut be thrown around due to windage and g-forces causing your entire crankcase, rods, crank, trans gears to be shot peened?

Joe, I am going to recommend you open up that valve cover again and throw that little nut in there so the rest of us know what to do if it ever happens to us. :D

Thanks in advance. :work5:

We need to take this post one step farther. What would you have done if indeed the small nut filtered its way to the crankcase??? The oil pump pickup tube probably has a screen on it. Would the nut remain on the bottom, never to cause a problem? Would the nut be thrown around due to windage and g-forces causing your entire crankcase, rods, crank, trans gears to be shot peened?

Joe, I am going to recommend you open up that valve cover again and throw that little nut in there so the rest of us know what to do if it ever happens to us. :D

They warned me about you at ArkanSTOC! That is just wrong! Funny but just wrong!

Sure... I'll do that today.. just for you.. :doh1:

Good Grief! I can only imagine the damage I would have done to my already tarnished soul with the invectives that that would have engendered!

Dang!

(and I said that with no fear of filters).:D

Back
Top Bottom