Where Do You Carry Your ICE Information And Your Spot?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
After all the great comments on the Event Sign-Up Sheet that sort of morphed into an ICE thread, I have purchased a SPOT and now have the small aluminum pill holders with my ICE information attached to my jacket zippers. I also have a copy in my wallet which is usually stashed in the bike. So my two questions are -

1. Where do you carry your ICE info and why there?
2. Where do you carry your SPOT gizmo and why there?

Thanks.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
1) ICE:
Where: Two paper copies are visibile when my wallet is opened. Wallet is in a belly pack under my jacket.
Why there: Because it will be visible once someon takes my jacket off, and it is unlikley to get torn off in an accident.

2) SPOT:
Where:
..a) When riding in groups, it is on my handlebar.
..b) When riding alone, it is on right upper arm using the supplied holder & stretch/velcro strap.
Why there:
..a) I don't like the constriction on my arm and when putting on/off my jacket, and I periodically check to ensure no red blinky lights... so I have it on the bike brake resevoir when riding in groups.
..b) If I ride alone, I have it on my arm because it may become too far away if it were attached to the bike and I am unable to move following an accident. It is on my right upper arm because I can fiddle with it with my left hand without uncovering the throttle or brake lever.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I wear a RoadID bracelet. I also have ICE in my cellphone and I have a Spot, both of which I keep on my person.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
My info is on two tags similar to the recent give away and always around my neck. I use two to allow for a great deal of information to be quickly available.

Greg

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Road ID dog tags for us, with ICE info in my wallet. Spot is on a dash shelf on the ST, but I want to add a pocket to the right upper arm/shoulder of my jacket.

I did not like the arm band that came with the spot; too uncomfortable when stretched over the riding jacket.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I also put a cable and carabiners on my Spot to attach it to my jacket. The armband that comes with it doesn't look like it would stand up too well in a crash. JMO

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I stopped using the ram ball holder for my SPOT. It's on my arm from now on.

I have the RoadID tag around my neck and also bought an extra one to use as a zipper pull for my jacket.

I assume my cell phone either won't survive the crash or is password protected so I do have ICE info there but it won't be accessible.

Bike
ST1300 '06
STOC #
I keep my SPOT carabinered around the throttle/brake line/cable, it just nestles in next to the ignition and does not hang on the line/cable (i keep checking for chaffing and there is none). I believe SPOT is more likely to stay with the bike in that protected area than with me, The tank bag could end up anywhere, including on the picnic bench a stop or two back. I would hope they would look for the rider when they find the wreck. I keep my ICE info in my wallet and in my cell phone. Any time my cell is woken up you will see my name address and ICE # and a pic of my wife - no password required. I like the road tags idea. I know I could get some of them from a kiosk in the mall, but there must be a more cost effective way.

:06biker::CanFlag1:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Wear the SPOT on my belt loop under jacket ( stills get 90%+ of tracks covered and verticle )
ICE in the phone and on RED card visible when wallet is opened.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
OK I have to chime in here. I will speak from a first hand experience. My wreck happened on May 2 of this year as everyone knows. I was commuting to work at 8:45 in the morning. I was struck from behind while stopped by a truck. I can only tell you what happened from what I was told. I did not have any ICE info on me. They cut off my clothes at the scene. I was non responsive until they were transporting me. I could only then ask them to call my wife. I could not tell them her number or even her name. I only kept repeating please call my wife.

The EMT's only checked my wallet after a person who works in the ER that knew my wife and had seen us two weeks before the wreck, ask for it. She then started the call process. My wife didn't get a call until almost 10:00.

Lots of discussion here on where the ICE list should be. I hate to say it but maybe taped to your helmet. Pockets, wallets, tank bags, jackets I don't think they work. The one thing I know they had was my helmet, the officers handed that to my wife after she arrived at the hospital. They may have check it if I would have had my ICE info there.

If you're knocked out a SPOT is not going to do you any good, unless some one is with you. I still have a SPOT and will have it on me when I start traveling again.

I don't have a real answer for where it needs to be. But you can bet when I do start riding again it will be on my person in several different areas. Wallet, jacket pocket, bike windsheild, luggage, taped to my helmet.

Just some thoughts.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
A SPOT and ICE are two different things used for two different reasons.

A SPOT is used to locate you or in case you need to ask for some type of emergency aid.

ICE is needed once you're found and you can't communicate for yourself.

Each one is great to have, both is optimum.

I have to go back to 970Mike who is a 1st responder. He stated he looks at wallets but also around necks and wrists as many folks with medical issues have med alert necklaces and bracelets and they are trained to look there. That information is what I used to determined what to have and where to put it.

I agree, a card in your wallet w/ICE info on it is also a very good thing to have, and so easy to throw together in 5 mins that it's almost ludicrous not to have.

Tim, any chance a wallet is all they had because that's all you had? Do you know for certain they didn't check your neck/wrists for ID or med alert info?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
ICE info on paper with names numbers and medical info in my wallet and in tankbag. I wear a flash drive around by neck with all this stuff and more saved on it. The thumb drive is marked with first aid markings. I don't have a SPOT yet.

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I had several red "dog tags" made up last year.

Side 1:
"'My Name"
"ICE: My wife's name"
"XXX-XXX-XXXX" Wife's cell #
"XXX-XXX-XXX" Home #
"SEE OTHER SIDE"

Side 2:
"FOR INFO CALL"
"859-544-0181 OR" (RoadID's number)
"WWW.MyRoadID.com"
"SERIAL #: XXXXXXXX"
"PIN: XXXXX"

My RoadID page has medical information, other important information and additional contacts.

I wear one of the tags around my neck, one is laced into my riding boot, one on my key ring, and one dangling from each of my riding jackets.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Please excuse a rookie question, but what is a SPOT?
Satellite tracking device with the ability to track you from a website you can give family/friends, also you can hit an SOS button in case you are in dire need of medical attention or in a situation where no one knows where you are but can look at the tracking to find you.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Top Bottom