1 or 2 bars when running in mid 30's to 40's

Stick with the OEM T-stat! I've replaced an aftermarket one a week later in another members bike.
When you replaced yours, did you flush the coolant system out and make sure to clean all the black paint off the radiator pipes (inside) when you did it?
There have been several members, as well as myself who've found black paint inside the t-stat jamming them open. Once I've removed the paint (scotchbrite pad) I've not had any further issues.
I replace my T-stat about once a year when I flush the coolant just as a preventative measure.
I figure I'm in there flushing the coolant, might as well replace everthing.
Good time to replace the coolant hoses with better ones too.

I did use a Honda thermostat, flushed, and cleaned off some overspray. Filled with the Prestone long life coolant.(Silicate free) Are all Honda parts created equally?(Bad new themostat?):D Would you still change coolant yearly if you used the Prestone coolant? Better hoses? Honda hoses or other? Thanks. Russ.

I did use a Honda thermostat, flushed, and cleaned off some overspray. Filled with the Prestone long life coolant.(Silicate free) Are all Honda parts created equally?(Bad new themostat?):D Would you still change coolant yearly if you used the Prestone coolant? Better hoses? Honda hoses or other? Thanks. Russ.

When you cleaned the overspray off, did you removed both the large hoses completely and clean both the inside and outside of the pipe?
I have no concerns using any Silicate free coolant, I normally use Honda brand (type II) because folks tend to trust that better than Prestone.
I've only seen Bad thermostats with aftermarket ones, but I won't throw anyone under the bus with the brand that failed.
I think ALL the OEM units start to fail after about a year, so I just replace them anyway, I have a whole box full of stuck or frozen units on my shelf.
I believe they start corrode and scrape and drag, then stick open.
Nothing wrong with the hoses as long as they are in good condition. I replace them every few years as they get old and hard in between the cylinder heads and heat.

I'm due to flush my cooling system in the spring before my big trip. Coolant is one thing I wouldn't worry about brand too much on- use a name brand silicate free coolant and you will be fine. Remember, Honda doesn't make coolant- they repackage someone else's. I did use an OEM stat when I did mine, thanks to Mark. I had actually ordered an aftermarket but it wasn't going to arrive in time for my trip last year, so Mark shipped me an OEM he had Priority Mail. I ordered another OEM to replace his.

ALL the OEM units start to fail after about a year
Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the O.E.M. part. Seems to me that there was a Stant thermostat replacement for the 1100. Does the 1300 and 1100 use different thermostats?

The Prestone extended life stuff is supposed to be good for 5 years or 150,000 miles. Just wondering if anyone would run it that long?

My opinion on advertising claims is just like synthetic oil....it will last 100,000.00 miles before oil changes, etc. is why would you want to leave anything in your engine that long?
Any fluid or oil breaks down, then you just circulating bad oil and fluid, etc.
What I recommend to my friends is follow the owners manual service recommendations...or sooner, depending on conditons and how hard you use your vehicle.

Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the O.E.M. part. Seems to me that there was a Stant thermostat replacement for the 1100. Does the 1300 and 1100 use different thermostats?

I've seen some of the "aftermarket" t-stats that folks have tried to use. Most were purchased for .25cents in a third world country, or was "close to the same size" as the stock one, but it was from a 1968 VW Beetle, etc. Thermostats are cheap enough to simply replace them at every coolant service and not worry about them after that.

Yes, they do. The only replacement for the 1300 that was a good match was sold by Turbo City. Tom had a batch of them custom made because there wasn't anything on the open market that had the same characteristics.

A lot of us think the cause of the failures in the OEM is paint overspray in the radiator fittings flaking off, becoming gloppy and settling in the thermostat. Many have replaced failed OEM 'stats with another OEM and had no problems.

--Mark

I replaced the thermostat in my '03 as the bars were dancing around from 1 to 3; it was stuck open, but I also think that it was preventing itself from opening fully ! The heat coming up from the fairing on warm days (or when stuck in traffic) seems to have decreased...

Yes, they do. The only replacement for the 1300 that was a good match was sold by Turbo City. Tom had a batch of them custom made because there wasn't anything on the open market that had the same characteristics.

A lot of us think the cause of the failures in the OEM is paint overspray in the radiator fittings flaking off, becoming gloppy and settling in the thermostat. Many have replaced failed OEM 'stats with another OEM and had no problems.

--Mark

FYI...you may want to inquire about the Turbo City "Custom Made" units....as to where he purchased them from, and why he's no longer experimenting with them ;)

FYI...you may want to inquire about the Turbo City "Custom Made" units....as to where he purchased them from, and why he's no longer experimenting with them ;)

I believe they were made by Stant. Good quality unit.
He went basically out of the st market. Not only does he not order thermos but he no longer makes racks, radiators guards, ect.

Originally Posted by Igofar

FYI...you may want to inquire about the Turbo City "Custom Made" units....as to where he purchased them from, and why he's no longer experimenting with them

He went basically out of the st market. Not only does he not order thermos but he no longer makes racks, radiators guards, ect.

I happen to have one of the TT units. Put in my bike the spring of 07. Shows no signs of improper function. I am not one that is going to replace something that is not broken. Do what ever you like. I am going to do what I think is best. 98k and counting.

Kevin

My OEM thermostate was intermittently sticking, and my bike was one that had the paint overspray in the radiator, by my thermostat didn't show the paint overspray jammed into the piston. Make your own conclusions, but IMO the paint overspray may be involved in a couple failures, it can't be implicated as the cause. It appears a simple design/fabrication issue of the one Honda sourced early on in the ST1300's production.

Scot did a fantastic job of dissecting a number of failed OEM thermostats. What he found is shown here: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?102280-Bad-thermostat-photos.

FYI, the TurboTom thermostat was made by Motorad.

I happen to have one of the TT units. Put in my bike the spring of 07. Shows no signs of improper function. I am not one that is going to replace something that is not broken. Do what ever you like. I am going to do what I think is best. 98k and counting.
Kevin
I'm with you Kevin. :)

They weren't Stants, they were made by MotoRad. No manufacturer makes a 'stat that opens and closes at the same temperature as the OEM, so Tom had a big batch custom made. NewEnough/MotorcycleGear bought out TCI's ST parts inventory, but they've run out of thermostats.

My OEM failed sometime in 2006 and I replaced it with a TT in early 2007. Still works just fine.

--Mark

Steddon, not sure how far you are in the process but I had the same problem couple months ago. Replaced the open T- stat and still got one or two bars on normal days, 60F and above. Finally my mechanic checked the timing and it was way off. Once he fixed it gauge stayed on 3 bars so you may want to get the the throttle timing checked to make sure it's within spec. Igofar can help you do it if you go DIY but for me that task was well above my tech grade.

Steddon, not sure how far you are in the process but I had the same problem couple months ago. Replaced the open T- stat and still got one or two bars on normal days, 60F and above. Finally my mechanic checked the timing and it was way off. Once he fixed it gauge stayed on 3 bars so you may want to get the the throttle timing checked to make sure it's within spec. Igofar can help you do it if you go DIY but for me that task was well above my tech grade.

What is the name of the shop that reset the X on your bike? thanks.

TT thermostats. They are of very poor quality. If U have 1 in your bike remove it at next coolant change & flush. Please buy the new Honda oem stat. Just look at the stat the weight. That stat with only less than a gallon is working overX in a bike.
My TT stat was in for less than 3 years. pictures i hope will follow. Yes i power flushed the engine & rad. My brother in law owned a rad shop.
Look at the pictures stat came apart in the bike. Yes ran 3 bars warm up normal. had to pry disk out of engine.
new o-ring a little heavy/fatter, per partsman supesedes/old oring. Its in my bike so far no leaks.
Those # are frame # not engine #. Engine # start with a E.
1 more added. TT are not the right temp for the ST1300. They just make 3 bars.

Attachments

• TT thermostat 007.JPG
    TT thermostat 007.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 22
  • TT thermostat 009.JPG
    TT thermostat 009.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 24
  • TT thermostat 010.JPG
    TT thermostat 010.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 16
  • TT thermostat 011.JPG
    TT thermostat 011.JPG