TPMS - Which One??

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
It sucks to see all the problems with the Orange system. I really liked what I saw when it came out. I have a Kissan and it isn't perfect but it does what I need for the most part.

STOC #
Thanks Larry,

I did an email back and he is suppose to be shipping me out two new sensors tomorrow. If they don't work, I will throw the system in the trash and start over!
Don't let them off the hook. If it does not work, get a new unit and sell it right away.

sent from HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
New sensors should be in tomorrow, hopefully these will work!!

sent from my Droid phone.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Dave the unit I got is working perfectly ! PM me if you want the info on it. This unit also goes into sleep mode which should help the batteries last a lot longer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Dave the unit I got is working perfectly ! PM me if you want the info on it. This unit also goes into sleep mode which should help the batteries last a lot longer.
Thanks Steve....if these new sensors don't work, I will just trash this unit and start with another. Will pm you if the new stuff doesn't work. Thanks!

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Orange TPMS I got off of RealST is really finicky. In the winter, I have to turn the key all the way to the right to the accessory position, let it sit there for a bit while I start putting on my gear. Once both of the tire pressures show up on the screen, I start the bike. I get an accurate reading of the tire pressures and temperatures cold. Now, as I'm driving, if I see a rise in pressure or temperature in the first few miles, eureka, the sensors are reading correctly. If the pressure stays where it was when cold after a few minutes, I know in exactly 20 minutes after I turned on the bike, I'm going to get either an E1 error or an E2 error. Last summer when I bought the unit, it was hit and miss also, but it was more reliable in the warmer months.
RealST set me new units. Yet to put them on. Will report on them once I install them.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
My Orange TPMS I got off of RealST is really finicky.
Hey Al,
Having moved my Orange TPMS to the new steed, I found it to be having a similar issue as what you are describing. It's not the sender units, it's the main receiver. If I just start the bike half the time it won't pick up the sensors. But if I do a restart of unit by powering off bike and popping clutch, it's fine. Somehow the voltage sag is causing the receiver to have issues with receiving signals.

Next time you get an E1 or E2 while riding, try power cycling the unit when you are on an open stretch of road. Just pull the clutch, turn the ignition key all the way off and then back on and pop the clutch. Bet it works just fine after that.

My old bike had it wireid into an accessory circuit that did not have power while I was starting the bike. The current bike I used the accessory feed off the quartet harness. Next time I am under the plastic I'll switch the power supply.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
T_C
I have the same feelings as you. There is something disrupting the signal while starting. I was thinking something like a high frequency noise when starting. Shielding something might help, but I'm no electrician. I was also thinking of putting a switch on the wiring to reset it like you do. If I stop for fuel, it starts working fine sometimes. We are in the cold months now and like I said, it's hit and miss when it's cold.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
T_C
I have the same feelings as you. There is something disrupting the signal while starting. I was thinking something like a high frequency noise when starting. Shielding something might help, but I'm no electrician. I was also thinking of putting a switch on the wiring to reset it like you do. If I stop for fuel, it starts working fine sometimes. We are in the cold months now and like I said, it's hit and miss when it's cold.
Hate to say it...but maybe the whole system just sucks!! Will let you know how mine turns out, should be receiving new sensors tomorrow. Plan on putting them in and trying it out.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dave,
I have the same feelings as you, but I just love the technology. Look down and you know exactly the pressures and temperatures.
I also have a battery bug and like watching my voltage in stop and go traffic using all of my heated gear and grips. When my Hondaline grip controller starts flashing or the back light goes out on the battery bug (light goes out at 12.9 volts), I know I'm over taxing the system.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Got my new sensors in and installed them. After about a half hour, still did not work! So again I re-tried the whole procedure for new sensors, after about 4-5 times.....WOW!! It finally worked!!!! I can't believe it.... It is working! Going out for a ride tomorrow, see how it is.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
WhoHoo Dave, let us know the skinny after your trip.
Start pressures, riding rise in temperatures. Final pressures.
Damm!! won't be going anywhere today...a large snow shower cloud is sitting right over my area and is not really moving, just enough to make the roads messy!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Surprisingly mine worked fine this morning even with an extended crank on the engine. But still going to move it's power feed to another circuit that gets energized after the motor is started. It is reassuring to know the little squiggles I was feeling this morning were just slightly slick roads and not a sign of a flat. A quick glance down confirms 43 front, 40 rear, 71? when air is at 35?, road is probably in the 40's range.

Ahh.. to be on the bike again.

Snow expected tomorrow. But hopefully it will be gone and I get another few commutes later in the week.

Hopefully you'll be out and playing with the toys soon Dave.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Sounds like a good system, Steve. Did you find out if the display unit is waterproof? Wondering if I should spend money on new Doran sensors or invest in a new system.......

Edit - Just sent them an email......

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Ray this one is not waterproof I will be running mine in an Otter Box but they said if they have enough interest they will develop a waterproof case.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Did get to go out this afternoon for about a hundred miles+, the unit is working good, so far. psi & temp all working good!! Maybe it is new, not so sure I like the temp part yet.....I am happy with just psi. But like I said maybe cause it is new and not use to it yet.

Oh yeah, looks like we in for a posible 1-2 feet of snow ....so bike might be sitting again for a bit....ugh!!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I called Doran yesterday and ordered two new sensors ($25 each BTW), should arrive tomorrow. Otherwise, if Steve's was waterproof I was tempted........ and Dave might have gotten himself a real cheap Doran.......... but, I do like the Doran nonetheless.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
not so sure I like the temp part yet.....I am happy with just psi.
Dave,
Does your Orange TPMS default to pressure/temp alternating readings?

When I fire mine up it defaults to continous pressure readings. If I tap the top button twice in succession, it goes into an alternating mode. Would like to find out how to get it to stay in that mode by default.
T

Top Bottom