Phone vs. Camera On Rides

Louie Louie

I find myself using my iPhone for picture taking more and more. To the extent I no longer use my point and shoot camera on rides. Do most riders nowadays use their phones on trips for picture taking, or do you think cameras can never be replaced? I believe the iPhone has 5 megapixels and my camera has 10.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate phones, love cameras. nothing against picture quality on phone, some are very good, I just use a phone for emergencies, otherwise I don't want the dang thing in my hand.

After looking at the info under your avatar, with 130 tip overs, maybe you should put the phone down permanently ...and the camera. :p:

Last edited:
My iPhone 3G had a truly crappy camera, but my daughter's iPhone 5 has a really good camera. One downside is using the camera eats battery life, so you need a way to recharge it if you take a lot of photos. My Samsung takes good photos, too, and I can always replace the battery.

Phone cameras have a limitation in their lenses. They are small and not the best quality. If you plan to look at the shots on your phone, upload them to Facebook, Instagram, etc., then a phone camera makes sense. If you want high quality images for enlargements or print publication, phone cameras don't cut it. At least not yet.

Good photographers can do a lot even with limited equipment. Lousy photographers don't improve much even with good equipment. :)

Good photographers can do a lot even with limited equipment. Lousy photographers don't improve much even with good equipment.

I was in the park the other day and saw someone using a $600 tripod with a $200 head to take pictures with an iPad.

Huh?

I like photography and have some decent kit (Nikon DSLR with lenses etc.
I went to france last year on my bike and used the iphone, as I just didn't want to take my camera kit leaving no room for luggage :(

I'm going again this year and treated myself, at Christmas, to a Panasonic TZ30 (small decent compact camera) for motorcycle trips.
To be honest I'm using it all the time now. Fantastic grab and capture camera. It goes everywhere with me just incase.

I've created an album of my bike taken with the TZ30, sorry its not an ST but I couldn't manage the weight or touch the floor on one :(
Pictures are reduced massivly for upload size but the original detail, if I notice something and zoom in for a closer look is amazing.

On long trips, I always pack a good camera. Just can't beat the picture quality or the flexibility you get with a good digital SLR.

John

I take pictures with both on a trip. Usually I take a lot of pictures while moving and that just can't be done with a cell phone.

All image capturing devices have their uses.

You can't get this one with a phone:

Attachments

• 5-5-2013-691 copy.jpg
    5-5-2013-691 copy.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 59
I am a serious photographer and have a significant investment in gear. Photography is not about pixels, it is about light and so the most important gear are the lenses, then the cameras. So a great full frame DSLR with a professional series lens will always take a better image than a phone camera.

... but you can only capture an image if you have a camera with you so a phone camera is a definite alternative.

I have been on expeditions with National Geographic photographers who deliberately set aside their professional gear to use an iPhone to take all their images. The results were awesome!

It is the photographer, not the camera that creates great pictures.

PS - Post processing aka Photoshop helps. Ansel Adams was renown as much for his prowess in the darkroom as behind the lens.

PPS - Trust me, you do not want to take this picture with an iPhone
2012_08_0391-1.jpg

Last edited:
I am a serious photographer and have a significant investment in gear. Photography is not about pixels, it is about light and so the most important gear are the lenses, then the cameras. So a great full frame DSLR with a professional series lens will always take a better image than a phone camera.

... but you can only capture an image if you have a camera with you so a phone camera is a definite alternative.

I have been on expeditions with National Geographic photographers who deliberately set aside their professional gear to use an iPhone to take all their images. The results were awesome!

It is the photographer, not the camera that creates great pictures.

PS - Post processing aka Photoshop helps. Ansel Adams was renown as much for his prowess in the darkroom as behind the lens.

PPS - Trust me, you do not want to take this picture with an iPhone
2012_08_0391-1.jpg

Aww he just wants a hug.....:run1:

:plus1: The best camera in the world does not do you any good if you have to dig it out of your bag and the subject is gone. In that case the small iPhone is small, in my pocket, quick to get at ....

:slv13:

I carry both. When I'm on the bike and want to snap shots while riding nothing beats the simplicity of the camera. I can pull it out of the tank bag, turn it on, and take photos all with my left hand. I keep the strap fastened to a carabiner on my tank bag for safety. If i want the best scenery shots I use the camera. But if I'm walking around and suddenly see something I want a shot of, the phone is always handy. If i want to snap something and post it to facebook, or when I'm playing Tag, the phone is the obvious choice. I do miss my old LG phone, which had a dedicated button on the side for activating the camera and taking the picture. My new Motorola Electrify II requires touching the screen to take photos, and its much more clumsy than using a real button.

One more thing to consider with a camera while riding. I typically carry a waterproof point-and-shoot (also has video capability). I don't have to be concerned if it gets wet.

I have a waterproof point and shoot Fuji that I hang around my neck while riding if I want to catch a quick snap shot it is right there. And its waterproof to 10 feet. It takes a decent picture and it is 10Mega pixels so I can blow them up a bit if I get a really good one. The iphone is nice to have so I can send a picture right to facebook or wherever I want right away.

I have a waterproof point and shoot Fuji that I hang around my neck while riding if I want to catch a quick snap shot it is right there. And its waterproof to 10 feet. It takes a decent picture and it is 10Mega pixels so I can blow them up a bit if I get a really good one. The iphone is nice to have so I can send a picture right to facebook or wherever I want right away.

Steve, How waterproof is you're ST at 10ft? :rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

I hate devices that are built to handle multiple tasks because they never tend to do all task well. If they built phones that were dedicated to talking instead of taking pictures calls could be clearer and not drop as often; not to mention cheaper. Have you ever seen a camera built with a secondary function of making telephone calls? If I plan on taking pictures on a ride I bring my camera, if it is unplanned then I will use my phone as a last resort but never expect anything more than just capturing the moment for me, not entry into any photo contest or to be published. :)

Back
Top Bottom