clock trip meters resettin

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I have an 03 ST 1300 abs bike that I love the only problem is every time I turn off the key the gauges reset. I have checked the fuses they are good and I don't think it is the battery because it resets as soon as the key turns on before even hitting the starter button thus stressing the battery. My question to the other ST 1300 owners is does your clock, trip meter stay lit up when the key is off? I am wondering if some previous owner changed the wiring so they were only hot with key turned on to conserve battery during periods of non riding (that is not a problem I have:D). The position/meter fuse (10 amp) on the left side is only hot when the key is on. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Listen to Mellow. My trip meters started resetting by themselves and the fuel gauge got a little crazy the day before my battery died completely. Fortunately, it waited until the bike was in the garage (following a 1600 mile trip) before it gave out. You may not be so lucky. How old is the battery? Better to replace ir early, at home, than wait until it craps out on the road somewhere.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Nothing to re-wire unless they did a heck of a job to save a negligible amount of energy. Spend 4 hours to save $.03 over the next 5 years.

Nope.. this is typical warning sign your battery is about to go. Call it the BLIG, low Battery Life Indicator Group. When those start flashing of and on during engine start, you are warned.
The clock should be just visible when the bike is off. It won't be lit but you can see the display from ambient light.

If you put a voltmeter on the bike while starting you will probably see the voltage dropping below 10.

Buy the battery now.. or buy a jump start from a neighbor later.

Last edited:
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
+1 to the dead or going dead battery.
Or... it could be the blinker fluid.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
That is the symptoms of a bad battery, make sure that the connections are clean and tight. Now use a multimeter to check your voltage you should be in the high twelves when fully charged, now turn on the key and hit the starter and if the voltage drops below 10 volts it is time for a new battery.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
okiehick82 said:
My question to the other ST 1300 owners is does your clock, trip meter stay lit up when the key is off
Does yours stay on. If they do, your bike might need the ground cap re-call. Take if to Honda and see if your VIN number has a center punch mark on it. That normally is an indication that a re-call has been done to the bike.

OP
OP
okiehick82
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
That's typically a bad battery...
I have read the other threads about bad battery seems strange that it cranks strong and resets as soon as key is turned on will check the battery terminals. The volt meter shows high 12 volt with key off. I bought the bike in June from Jimster and have not had any starting problems. I ride it everyday so it has been started hundreds of times and the symptoms have existed as long as i have had her.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have read the other threads about bad battery seems strange that it cranks strong and resets as soon as key is turned on will check the battery terminals. The volt meter shows high 12 volt with key off. I bought the bike in June from Jimster and have not had any starting problems. I ride it everyday so it has been started hundreds of times and the symptoms have existed as long as i have had her.
Not 100% certain, I just know that when the guages start doing strange things many times it's the battery or battery related issue. Hope you fine the issue. How old is the battery?

OP
OP
okiehick82
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
That is the symptoms of a bad battery, make sure that the connections are clean and tight. Now use a multimeter to check your voltage you should be in the high twelves when fully charged, now turn on the key and hit the starter and if the voltage drops below 10 volts it is time for a new battery.

With key off 12.8 volts key on engine not running 12.1 as it is starting low 11 to 10.8 volts am going to check all connections for tightness and cleanness

OP
OP
okiehick82
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Not 100% certain, I just know that when the guages start doing strange things many times it's the battery or battery related issue. Hope you fine the issue. How old is the battery?

Not sure how old battery is I can contact Jimster and ask but when I bought it he said it always had done it. I just trying to get the gauges and clock to keep from resetting.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That guy will say anything to sell a bike.

OP
OP
okiehick82
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Does yours stay on. If they do, your bike might need the ground cap re-call. Take if to Honda and see if your VIN number has a center punch mark on it. That normally is an indication that a re-call has been done to the bike.

No mine do not stay on thought maybe they were supposed to and that was an indication of the problem. With the key off I don't even have power to the 10 amp instrument fuse.

OP
OP
okiehick82
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I did an experiment this morning. As soon as I turned on the key the clock and trip reset. Rode it home. When I got home I killed the engine with the kill switch leaving the key turned on. The clock and trip stay running turned the rocker back on so I could start it. I hit the start switch it started and the clock and trip stayed running just fine. To my way of thinking I have eleminated the battery. I talked to the previous owner he said it did as long he had it too. Seems like when the is turned off it turns off the memory that keeps the time and trip going while the key is turned off. If I am barking up the wrong tree please point me in the right direction would really like the trip and clock to function. thanks

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I don't know about the 1300 but the 1100 has two fuses that supply the clock, one via the ignition that turns it "on" and the other that keeps it "alive" when the ignition is off.....

Sounds like this is similar and the "alive" fuse is either gone or corroded.... or the secondary supply is not getting there....

That said, if you did this after a ride, the surface charge on the battery, which dissipates over time, may have kept it alive and not switching the ignition off is a red herring...

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
I would agree that there is either a bad fuse or poor connection for the memory function of the display. Time to study the wiring diagram.

Top Bottom