Do BS 023's such or do ST's eat tires???

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
Running a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle.

Popular on GoldWings and some ST13's. There's a whole motorcycle sub-culture around it.
Got ya! I would imagine it could actually work well in many areas of the country where your mostly hwy cruising. Don't think I would want to live in the twisties with squared edge tires.
KebRider(member here) just did test runs on the Dragon with his ST and several cage tires.

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
The Angel GT's hold out well too, I've tortured the current set and need a front after 7500 miles, the rear would go another 1500 if I weren't particular about changing them together. The suspension on my current ride eats fronts much faster than the ST13 did - i'll bet they would both last me about 9K, ridden hard, on the ST13. YMMV
I do like the Angle GT, BUT I was at the wear bars at 1700 miles on the rear of the VFR so they are not a mileage tire for me.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Got ya! I would imagine it could actually work well in many areas of the country where your mostly hwy cruising. Don't think I would want to live in the twisties with squared edge tires.
KebRider(member here) just did test runs on the Dragon with his ST and several cage tires.
The 023 replacement is the T30 and that's Kimball's favorite ST tire. When you mentioned your locale and VFR background I thought you probably knew him.

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
700miles to twi is insane. I got about 12k miles out of the T30s (not much different than BT23's), and 15k on Roadsmart II set. But that's mostly smooth Dutch highways @75-90mph.

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
The 023 replacement is the T30 and that's Kimball's favorite ST tire. When you mentioned your locale and VFR background I thought you probably knew him.
Yeah, that guys a squid! ;)
He was the reason I tried the Angle GT. I do plan to try the T30 GT on the rear to see what happens even though he likes them! :bow1:

BR

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
OK so I ride this bike like the Sport bike it truly is and Love it, but *** is the story on tires? :confused:
I bought this bike last month and it had a new Bridgestone 023 GT on the rear while the 023 front was about 50% worn. I've only put 700 miles on it with about 2/3rd's two up and the other a solo ripper.
This tire is disappearing rapidly and it has strong signs of damping issues, guessing under dampened because it's building edges at the rear edge.
I just installed a new BS T-30 front before today's 280 mile two up ride which made the rear feel somewhat worse.
So do ST's just eat Tires or is the 023 GT a rapid wearing tire?
Thanks
I have ridden behind you in the past. We were both on VFRs at the Burkesville Rally several years ago, riding rather briskly on those excellent roads.
If you are routinely hammering that ST the way we were riding that day the viffers, you are gonna eat tires on it, I do not care what brand you use.
FWIW I have had the best luck with 023GTs, but am now on T30 GTs, like them so far.

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
I have ridden behind you in the past. We were both on VFRs at the Burkesville Rally several years ago, riding rather briskly on those excellent roads.
If you are routinely hammering that ST the way we were riding that day the viffers, you are gonna eat tires on it, I do not care what brand you use.
FWIW I have had the best luck with 023GTs, but am now on T30 GTs, like them so far.
Hey John, that was a fun trip and many moons ago. I've had many years of chasing Rob H to learn how to ride much better now. I just may not be able to afford to!
With over 105k miles on my 02 VFR I've spooned on over 40 sets of tires and it looks like I will need a second job to keep tires on the ST! :confused:

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
+1 on the pilot road 4 gt. I have a few thousand miles on them of mostly 2 up hwy/some twisties and they are great. very little wear so far. I came to the st1300 from a cbr600f4i so I'm quite familiar with your "style" of riding ;-)

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
I really like Michelin's but I have not run the PR3 or PR4 yet.
My fav set-up on the Viffer was a pp3 front w/pr2 rear. Very good wet & dry grip and the longest lasting tires I've run avg 3500 miles a set. Nothing has out performed this combo with the highest grip & wear of any set I've tried.
From everything I've gathered the PR2 is a better tire then the PR3 so I would progress to the PR4 next.

Last edited:

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
From everything I've gathered the PR2 is a better tire then the PR3 so I would progress to the PR4 next.
If you push the shoulders of your tires hard, you might want to reexamine that conclusion. The shoulder compound of the 3 offers far more purchase when pushed hard under throttle.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Yeah, it's a lot like religion, it requires faith in something that makes no sense, with no scientific evidence to support it. Dark side, there is no light, go forward blindly and have faith, mate! ;)
LOL. good one, car tyres on a bike just isn't right,unless you are riding on endless straight roads maybe, I got 6500 miles out of the standard T30, got 7000 out of the last 023, new 023 fitted now because I got it cheap, have a T30GT on the front,showing very little wear after 6500 miles roughly, going to try PR4GT next time, the rear isn't the exact correct size,but UP runs them no problem on his ABSII ST1100 so I'll try them, has to better than darkside.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I really like Michelin's but I have not run the PR3 or PR4 yet.
My fav set-up on the Viffer was a pp3 front w/pr2 rear. Very good wet & dry grip and the longest lasting tires I've run avg 3500 miles a set. Nothing has out performed this combo with the highest grip & wear of any set I've tried.
There must be something about the profile of the PR3 rear tire that doesn't agree with me. My favorite Michelin combo on the ST1300 was also a PR3 front and PR 2 rear. On matched pair of 3s I was never 100% confident in a corner. It's not that the tires ever lacked for grip it was the vague feedback and that I almost always had to correct my line after setting up the corner. I never felt this on my old fav Avon AV55/56 Storms and then Bridgestone 023s. They talk back and rail the corners. By chance I mounted a PR2 rear behind a 3 and the vague feedback and two-step choice of line went away. I ran three PR3 rears and two PR3 fronts and it was always like that until I tried a PR2 rear/3 front. I thought this behavior was just a ST thing but when I mounted PR3s on the NC700X it was the same behavior and it was a letdown from the OEM Z8s. I was kicking myself but I didn't think the NC would do the same thing. When the rear 3 wore enough to justify getting rid of it the PR2s in a 160/60 NC700X size were impossible to find so I tried a Pilot Power on the rear and it sharpened up the feedback and took away the vagueness and oversteer/understeer at corner entry I disliked so much. It has to be that rear tire.

The 023s and T30's are a better fit for my riding on the ST and I never went back to Michelin and don't plan to however I am going take a chance on the Michelin Anakee 3 on my Tiger when I replace the OEM Pirellis.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Hey John, that was a fun trip and many moons ago. I've had many years of chasing Rob H to learn how to ride much better now. I just may not be able to afford to!
With over 105k miles on my 02 VFR I've spooned on over 40 sets of tires and it looks like I will need a second job to keep tires on the ST! :confused:
A big heavy powerful bike like the ST is just going to go through tires, especially with an aggressive rider, so get ready for it. I get about 3.5k out of a rear 023GT, and I am talking worn out. I have no clue what the T30s will yield. BTW, I bought my '03 ABS ST from John M. in January 2004 with about 1,500 miles on it. Still a great machine all these years and 89k miles later. All I have really done to it is replace the front wheel bearings and the shock. I am taking it on a tour two weeks from now with Charlie up into the mountains, we are leaving from Burkesville.

Yeah, my VFR was a '02 as well, I kept it 12 years and about 70k miles. Great machine except for the original wiring harness, which you and I both are very familiar with. It was fine after I got that sorted out and I do miss it sometimes. Rob is one of the first persons I let ride it after I bought it new. We swapped rides one day when he was on that black Triumph he had.

Enjoy your ST and welcome to the list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
There must be something about the profile of the PR3 rear tire that doesn't agree with me. My favorite Michelin combo on the ST1300 was also a PR3 front and PR 2 rear. On matched pair of 3s I was never 100% confident in a corner. It's not that the tires ever lacked for grip it was the vague feedback and that I almost always had to correct my line after setting up the corner. I never felt this on my old fav Avon AV55/56 Storms and then Bridgestone 023s. They talk back and rail the corners. By chance I mounted a PR2 rear behind a 3 and the vague feedback and two-step choice of line went away. I ran three PR3 rears and two PR3 fronts and it was always like that until I tried a PR2 rear/3 front. I thought this behavior was just a ST thing but when I mounted PR3s on the NC700X it was the same behavior and it was a letdown from the OEM Z8s. I was kicking myself but I didn't think the NC would do the same thing. When the rear 3 wore enough to justify getting rid of it the PR2s in a 160/60 NC700X size were impossible to find so I tried a Pilot Power on the rear and it sharpened up the feedback and took away the vagueness and oversteer/understeer at corner entry I disliked so much. It has to be that rear tire.

The 023s and T30's are a better fit for my riding on the ST and I never went back to Michelin and don't plan to however I am going take a chance on the Michelin Anakee 3 on my Tiger when I replace the OEM Pirellis.
Thanks Dave. I have two buds I've ridden over 40-50K miles with that both have similar abilities and we all run the same Pace. If one of them tells me "whatever...." about any tire it directly applies to me and I can take it to the bank as fact w/o ever trying that tire as my results would be within 95% of theirs. I was on a 4 day twisty ride with one of them who was on his first set of PR3's coming off a set of PR2's and stated the similar to me. He liked the PR2 rear better as the PR3 rear was squirmy/odd feeling compared to the PR2. That and the relatively short life cycle of the PR3 before the PR4 came out was enough for me to never waste the money on a "3".
I've tried PP3's, PR2's, Original Pilot Roads were Honorable , Angle GT's, BS 023, BS T30 GT (front), Q2's and a few others recently and my best Grip/Mileage set is still the Michelin PP/PP3 front w/ PR2 rear.
A BS T30 GT will be spooned on the rear of the ST Real soon.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Tipster swears by the Shinkos...and those who know his riding style........:D.........just sayin, ff

Bike
GL1800
Hi BR....welcome aboard. Now that you have a ST you can make it to San Diego. You can use my tire changer when you get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka BonusVFR

Bike
2006 ST1300
I try not to suggest this but seeing how quickly you go through tires, you may want to try darkside. Until you have tried it, don't discount them in the corners. I LOVE twisties and burned through tires when I first got the ST. Now that I have converted, my last few front tires averaged 22k each, and my current rear (Goodyear Triple Tread) had around 46k miles on it with some life left. A few weekends ago I was riding twisty roads in WV and bent my highway peg bracket by leaning over too far. Scraping pegs is common. It makes no sense...but it works.

On the Dragon a couple years ago.

dragon01.JPG

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
Awesome! I do hope to make it out that way some day, Viffer or Sideways Viffer either one. Of course the Sideways Viffer would be a better ride. :03biker:

Top Bottom