Alternative bike recommendations?

Bike
After almost ten years on my 04 ST, I'm thinking about a change. Like many here, age is taking its toll and I am finding the weight of the ST tiresome for my older back, especially around town. So what to buy? I want something used, less weight, but still some creature comforts. Even as I write this I can't imagine anything close to my ST for those long summer rides, anyway I thought I might tap the collective wisdom here for some recommendations. I bought an 07 vfr800 last Fall, love the weight and the jump but can't see myself on it as a sport tour.

Thanks in advance for any recommends!

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Saw a FJ 09 while looking at a FJR1300 and really like the looks of it and some good luggage options. Just a thought and 115hp

OP
OP
Bike
I also had a good look at the new FJ 09! I'm in Canada and interestingly the dealer said there are only smaller "city" hard bags available and those aren't available here at the moment. I am curious as to what bag options you are talking about. That was the one thing that steered me away from the FJ. Otherwise it seemed to be a very real possibility. Tons of power and a pretty neutral riding position.

Bike
2005 ST1300
The FJ09 I saw at the show had optional luggage. Side cases were 35L ish each and top box looked around 40L. I'm sure Givi has every conceivable size and style available for it.

As for other bikes you can consider an NY700V. It's basically the ST's little brother. Manually adjustable windscreen and shaft drive but over 100lbs lighter.

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
Owned a Vstrom 650. Should never have gotten rid of it. I love my ST, but honestly the Vstrom Adventure does everything an ST can do, while holding more luggage, and not running as much heated gear simultaneously (which it turns out I don't need all that extra wattage anyway). Great bike.

If you're up for the spending the $$$, BMW R1200RT is a sport-tourer with more creature comforts and about 250 less pounds. VERY comfy.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The FJ09 I saw at the show had optional luggage. Side cases were 35L ish each and top box looked around 40L. I'm sure Givi has every conceivable size and style available for it.

As for other bikes you can consider an NT700V. It's basically the ST's little brother. Manually adjustable windscreen and shaft drive but over 100lbs lighter.

Fixed that for you.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Asking for advice on what bike to buy is like asking what tire to run, what oil to use, etc. Everyone has an opinion. I think the most important question you need to ask yourself is what type of riding do I want to do. There are a lot of good motorcycles out there each offers something you may or may not like. I saw you mentioned a 2007 VFR800. They are a great bikes, I have one in the garage. My wife rides this bike after down sizing from an ST1100. Two things that I know of that I would change. First the handle bars to really change the riding position. Cost depending if you need hoses and cables somewhere between $300 to $500. Then once you are happy with that changing out the windscreen. Don't cheap out I would look at Madstad or MRA. But only after you clock several hundred miles with the new bars.

Do not compare the bikes you look at to the ST. Look at them by class of bike keeping each class comparison together.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A '10
if you are doing serious distance, I've really not found anything better than a big ST, particularly if you are tall. If your rides tend to be in the 1,000 mile or less range tho, there are a lot of options. Personally, I perfer Bonnevilles. 900cc, air/oil cooled, simple, classic, timeless. I don't tend to travel with it much but I had it on a little 3,000 mile trip last fall with sustained speeds in the upper 80's at times and it was just fine. It's also a lot better plunking down a fire trail or bombing along country two lane. 'Not exactly light at 500# something but not going to be blown away either.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
What turned you off on touring with the VFR??? I could use some enlightenment, as I tour on mine. I must be doing something wrong..... :D

OP
OP
Bike
Hi Larry, I guess my problem with the VFR is two-fold. First, even after adding Helibars I find the riding position has more lean than I could take over a long distance. Secondly, after buying a Puig windscreen I compared to the ST I feel pretty out in the wind. All of that said, I do love the VFR, I am now on my third one! There is just something about the sound of them that I love. For me they also are just flat out exciting to ride.

OP
OP
Bike
Hey Grabcon, I have tried the Helibars but still feel too far forward. Would you recommend something else. Looking at the current bars it doesn't look like I could go much higher without somehow moving them backward.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I am not a big fan of Helibars regardless of what they are on. I am seriously looking at the LSL super bike bars for my wife's bike. They are not a clip-on style, they are brackets that go over the fork tubes but then use a super bike bar. The kit moves the bars back 1 1/2" and up 1 1/2". With this setup you can also roll the bars forward slightly to get more height.

I also have had discussions with the guy from Madstad. He too has a vfr for his personal bike.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I think I see your problem. You are trying to make the VFR into something it isn't. A little forward lean is more comfortable for me than sitting straight up. Puts less weight on my tailbone. I am changing the bars on my Tiger to get them lower & more forward--too uncomfortable as it is.

If I want to sit more upright, I ride one-handed. I can ride for hours this way, even in the twisties. Then I have long arms I guess.:D

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
VFR I agree that is always the issues with the bike regardless of what they are. I think we are all guilty to some point to try and make a bike what it isn't. Some try to really make it more than what it is intended. In my wife's case she can do 400 miles a day on the VFR but would like to be a little more upright. But when doing that she gets more wind. At some point we need to call it good or change to something different.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I got to ride an FZ09 and the motor was great!!! If I was looking to replace the ST with a street oriented moto, the FJ09 (basically the same motor as the FZ09) would be number 1 on my list.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Have you looked at a Tiger 800? It's comfortable, smooth, not too heavy and nimble. With the right windshield a very pleasant ride.

You might want to talk to Joe about the Super Tenere'. He has a great write-up on it right here. It looks like it will do everything the ST does plus a little off pavement as well. The Super Ten will also give you the more upright riding position you mentioned. There also might be some good deals on the used ones out there.

Allen K

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
VFR I agree that is always the issues with the bike regardless of what they are. I think we are all guilty to some point to try and make a bike what it isn't. Some try to really make it more than what it is intended. In my wife's case she can do 400 miles a day on the VFR but would like to be a little more upright. But when doing that she gets more wind. At some point we need to call it good or change to something different.

That was more the point I was trying to make. Rather than ruin a VFR by putting a barn door windshield and high bars on it, get a bike more suited to what you are going to do with it. The new FJ 09 comes to mind. This type of bike will be the new sport touring bike for those that want upright seating & full wind protection. These also come with the accessories most want to put on them. A liter or more displacement bike isn't needed to tour on. The 800/900cc bikes will run 75-80 all day & get good mileage doing it. Even a Suzuki Burgman will do 100mph and guys tour on those....

Used to be that motorcycles came in one flavor, then you had to make it into whatever you wanted to do with it. Not anymore. Now you can buy a bike for a specific purpose then make it into a better one for that purpose.

Top Bottom