Is this where I catch the bus to Moose Jaw?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I'm heading to Moose Jaw last couple of weeks in June. Looking for points of interest along the way. From Stratford I have a number of ways to head out. I can go the Canadian route through Northern Ontario, Or cross the border at Port Huron, either go north then along the south shore of Lake Superior or via Chicago. I have to be there by June 24th and am open to taking a week to get there. The most economical way gets me there in 24 hours (1600 miles)with 4 fuel stops with a total cost of $100.
I'm bringing camping gear or depending on the cost of a motel I might do that.
Looking for suggestions for POI along the way, meeting up with other members is kinda cool or riding part of the way is an option as well.
Just throwing it out there.
I return the middle of August.

(The title is from an old Molson Golden beer commercial popular in the 60's)
Cheers
Robert

STOC #
I would stay in Canada until you get to Sault St Marie then cross the bridge and take US 2 until you get south of Saskatchewan and then go North. You will get the great scenery etc, above the lakes and US 2 goes through a lot of small town, sort of a "way back machine" to before the interstate system. If you have time taking it all of the way to the left coast is awesome, especially through the mountains in BC.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The other option is to cross at Duluth.
North of the Sault is so pretty, Agawa canyon ( I proposed to my wife there 31 years ago

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
The other option is to cross at Duluth.
Not sure which direction you'd be coming from, south around the lake? At any rate if you hit Duluth stop at AeroStitch and see if they could give you some ideas on protective kilts....:).....sounds like a fun ride, I'd offer you up a room if you came my way but I'll be fishin' then..........enjoy the adventure.......ff

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I would lean to crossing at Sarnia then north over the Mackinac Bridge, on a windy day it is a bit of an adventure, and then back into Canada at the Sault.

Gerhard

P.S. I will be crossing into the states around the same time but will be choosing a more southerly route.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I would lean to crossing at Sarnia then north over the Mackinac Bridge, on a windy day it is a bit of an adventure, and then back into Canada at the Sault.

Gerhard

P.S. I will be crossing into the states around the same time but will be choosing a more southerly route.
I crossed on the bridge a few years ago on my Madura.....it was a fun ride. We shall talk at the RTE

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Not sure which direction you'd be coming from, south around the lake? At any rate if you hit Duluth stop at AeroStitch and see if they could give you some ideas on protective kilts....:).....sounds like a fun ride, I'd offer you up a room if you came my way but I'll be fishin' then..........enjoy the adventure.......ff
I might do that earlier, I have to go to Winnipeg in March (in my van)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Unless the exchange rate reverses dramatically before then, it might be more economical to take an all Canada route. The scenery around Superior is worth the look. Don't overlook taking the Chi Cheemaun ferry from Tobermory to cut the driving distance.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I see they finally opened a branch in Duluth....they're headquartered in Mt. Horeb Wi......Aerostitch, on the other hand is locally grown.......have fun up there......ff....and it costs NOTHING to look............

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Unless the exchange rate reverses dramatically before then, it might be more economical to take an all Canada route. The scenery around Superior is worth the look. Don't overlook taking the Chi Cheemaun ferry from Tobermory to cut the driving distance.
I used to live on Manitoulin Island, know the area very well.

737Captain

Heavy Equipment Operator
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Just south of the bridge in Macinack City is a really nice pub with great food. It's on the main drag and called The Keyhole. Definitely worth a stop.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Anchor Bar and Grill across the bridge in Superior Wi has great burgers and beer, or maybe you'll go through there first on your way to Duluth......have fun.........ff

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Thanks for the suggestions, looks like Aerostitch is the "must stop"
I agree, a visit to Aerostitch is well worth the detour, it's a great retail store. Be aware that it is located in what must be the rattiest part of Duluth, a really run-down neighborhood, so don't be too shocked by what the place looks like when you finally get there.

There are no problems with security if you park the bike outside at the front of the building. The area just looks awfully ratty, apparently it's not as bad a neighborhood as it appears to be.

Michael

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
They're in the old industrial district....it is an industry, after all....Duluth's a much older city than most realize........but the Norwegian Mafia moved to the Twin Cities decades ago.....they call themselves Lutheran Brotherhood now.........:D

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have arrived in Moose Jaw via Banff, put on close to 5000km and will be here till Aug. 16th, If there are any ST owners in the area wishing for a RTE or RTC, I'm game

Top Bottom