One sorry so & so and one good guy

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Today in Anaconda, MT.
I was standing by the front of CVS in the shade watching the bike and Dana was inside. I was looking at Maps while waiting too.
Then I hear a loud noise. I do a double take, because I think I see my GW laying on its side. I then realize the SUV that just went by in front of me caused this mess. I run out in the parking lot waving and yelling at her, she is leaving fast. Then the good guy in an old truck motions the he is a witness and will follow her.
I rush over to the bike, helmets rolled about 10 feet away, trunk was unlatched, cameras and all kinds of stuff scattered about. A young man comes over and helped me lift it about the same time Dana arrives.
The good guy returns about 10 min later with a tag #. He said the young lady in the SUV would not pull over (obviously knew what she did) and he knows her as a local.
LEO called, reports and all info exchanged, my insurance called, about 2 hrs worth. LEO said if tag # belongs to vehicle we described, she will be charged with hit & run.
She actually side swiped the rear of the Bushtec, pushed everything forward and bike tipped over on right side. Right mirror got skinned pretty bad, but didn't break lens or mirror. Bushtec has paint scraped, but nothing broken.
Could have been much worse...we could have been on the bike or could have rendered bike or trailer inoperable. :)
On to the next adventure.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Wow. That's a bummer. Hope the damage doesn't affect your trip and charges are filed against the inconsiderate reckless driver.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Please keep us advised as to how this plays out. The driver turned carelessness into something more serious. With no injuries there might not be much in the way of consequences but we can hope.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Very glad no one was on the bike. Good to see someone cared enough to help out. Please keep us posted and hope the damage is mostly cosmetic or easily handled and doesn't affect your trip too much.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Glad you two are OK and the damage was only cosmetic! Hopefully they will catch up with her and she will get to pay her dues.
Safe journey home.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Glad that you and Dana are fine. Sorry about the damage. People are so stupid. Instead of just facing an insurance claim, the culprit is now a felon and will suffer the results for the rest of their life.

Bike
2005 Concours
Tim & Dana...wow what a moment. Sure glad you weren't injured and the bike & trailer aren't severely damaged. The "long arm of the law" is far reaching. She'll get her do. Please keep us informed as to any outcome. Take care.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Glad that you and Dana are fine. Sorry about the damage. People are so stupid. Instead of just facing an insurance claim, the culprit is now a felon and will suffer the results for the rest of their life.
Actually, it's only property damage so only a misdemeanor.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow Tim, that's crazy! Glad y'all weren't on the bike. People are so stupid, thinking they can get away with this stuff. Hope it all works out for you and is not too much trouble.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I think Hit and Run is a felony in WA STate.......hope it is in MT.

ToddC

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Wow, really sorry to hear this! I'm very glad you're both OK and hope the driver gets what's coming to her.
Sigh. Humans are soooo stupid at times. :(

Patty

Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
Ouch Tim! Sucks but glad you and Dana were not on it at the time. I'm sure Karma will swing round for the other driver.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
So they are everywhere, as we knew... Here's hoping you have smooth riding the rest of the trip.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I know that sucks. But all I care about is that you two are alright! Now go enjoy the rest of your vacation without any more drama.

Bike
2012 ST1300
Kim and I met your wife Dana in Spearfish, very nice lady. We're both glad you two were not hurt and can ride on. Good Luck.

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #
Wow glad to here you and Dana are not hurt.
What time did it happen,your post is late in the day.She ran ...maybe been drinking?
Good luck with rest of ride.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
...hope it is in MT.
Probably not. A felony is usually a crime that's punishable by a over a year in state prison. That's way too harsh for what this driver did. There was property damage only and no injuries were involved. She was certainly careless in clipping the Wing but there wasn't any mention of her driving in a reckless manner with no regard for the safety of others. She could have hit the bike deliberately but we don't know that.

Her only crime as far as we know is leaving the scene of an accident. In some states leaving or fleeing the scene is the legal definition of what's commonly known as hit and run.

Yeah what she did was wrong. Did she panic? Was she DUI? Unlicensed/suspended/revoked? Did she have an outstanding warrant for her arrest? All this and more should come out in the investigation. Even if she was DUI at the time it would be hard to prosecute under the circumstances.

She could end up just paying a small fine for LTS and get a point or more on her driving record. Tar and feathers are a little much but I would like to see a maximum fine and a time out for her MDL. But that may not happen.

It's a shame about any damage to the bike but nobody was on it and that a great thing.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Seems like the world is being over run with sorry people. Luckily there was a good one standing by.

I had a similar incident about ten years ago. A dirt bag hit my truck while we were backpacking in Guadalupe Mountain State Park. He took off, but luckily a bystander saw him do it and wrote down the plate number. The park ranger located him and told him to contact me or face charges.

Top Bottom