ST1300 Riding tool kit

Bike
07 ST1300
My 2007 came to me with no tool kit at all. I understand it may have shipped with no tools. I want to put a kit together and would really like it to fit in the sargent seat round tube which is about 7 x 4 inches round. I wonder what I should fill it with?
Thanks!
Jim

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I am sure that there will be many opinions on this. So I must make a couple of statements before I show what I carry for tools. First I have only a GPS that is my only farkle and it is plugged into a quartet harness. I also assume that all general maintenance is up to date. The last assumption is what am I really capable of doing in my garage and could I do that on the road and everything must fit under the seat in the tool compartment. I don't carry anything for electrical such as multi meter or connectors sense my wiring is untouched.

A lot of work can be done with these tools, but if it is major AAA will get a call.

Everything but the compressor fits here.

Under seat.jpg Under seat 2.jpg

So here are some pictures of what I carry.

Sockets & wrenches.jpg

In the tool kit wrap that I got with the bike I carry box and open end wrench set 7 to 14mm and a 1/4" drive socket set.

Other Misc tools.jpg

In the cloth tool pack I carry an array of small tools. Screw driver, vise grips, adjustable wrench 17 & 18mm box and open end wrenches, flash light, spanner wrenched for the axel nuts, spark plug socket, a pencil with electrical tape and duct tape wrap on it, a couple of Allen wrenches and some fuses.

I also carry a Stop n Go compressors and tire plug kit that resides in one of the side cases and a hose extender.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I bought a cheap fanny pack from Walmart and cut off the straps. In it I have a set of Stanley wrenches that fit the nuts and bolts for first level maintenance in the operators manual. Also a set of pliers, vice grips, screw driver w/ multiple tips, and a combo set of hex wrenches. Included in the tool set are a complete replacement set of fuses, zip ties, spare pushpins, and spare push clips (name in parts phish). A small roll of duct tape I wound around a pencil. Thinking about adding some electrical wire with ST sized spades and wire connectors. I can't remove the rear tire though, if I have to do that, guess it'll be a tow.

I have a small slime pump and mushroom tire plugs for flats, used several times. Additionally have a small travel multimeter.

I store the tools under the pillion seat and pump in the saddle bag. It works well.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 22 mm sockets
8, 10, 12, 14, 17 mm wrenches
3/8" ratchet and extension
1/2" ratchet with extendable handle
4,5,6,8 mm allen wrench
4,5,6,8,17 mm allen wrench socket
Phillips screwdriver in two sizes, helps to be removable tips for reaching in tight areas
regular screwdriver
Needle nose plies
regular pliers
t-handle tire repair kit
air compressor
electrical tape
wire cutter and stripper
spare fuses, relay, bulbs
paper clip

You should be good for 90% or more of the maintenance or emergency roadside repairs.
For the remaining 10%.. Leatherman!!! (and a rock) or a Honda roadside service plan. ;)

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Good advise guys. Thank you all.
TC whats the 22mm socket and 1/2 inch ratchet for?

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
I sat down and took both tires off, setting the tools needed to the side. Then I did an oil change and set those tools aside. I found I could consolidate the tools well enough to get most to fit in the Sargent seat tube. The 1/2 inch breaker bar and 27mm combo wrench went into a side bag. A broken down air pump went into the right side fairing storage compartment and the tire plug kit into its on small bag bolted to the top case. Don't forget a tube of moly lube!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
TC whats the 22mm socket and 1/2 inch ratchet for?
Sorry, typo. 27mm. Rear axle nut. 1/2" drive is only for that. I tried a 3/8" breaker bar, an adapter and a short length of pipe, but just not a workable combo.

May or may not be something you ever use on the side of the road. But my side of the road kit is also my primary at home toolkit. That way I know I always have the tools. At home I do add in torque wrenches, but for side of road repairs they are optional.

Also.. just to make life easier, a small upholstery tack staple remover is handy for getting the plastic body rivets out, and back in.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
As a substitute for a breaker bar and 27mm socket, I carry a large (12") high quality adjustable "Crescent" wrench. The beauty of this idea is this wrench will fit most anything, and it can be used to straighten out bent bits if you should have an incident that requires it. It also weighs less than a breaker bar and socket, and fits in my tool roll. I have used the Crescent wrench for emergency R&R's of both wheels, and to straighten out my shifter lever after a midnight encounter with a chunk of concrete on the freeway. In a pinch it can also serve as a makeshift hammer.

One more thing that is always in my tool roll that I didn't see mentioned is a small inexpensive multimeter for troubleshooting roadside electrical issues. Make sure you refresh your rubber cement in your tire repair kit annually. Nothing worse than a flat at 0-dark thirty in the rain and finding your tube of glue has become slightly harder than the nail in your tire.
I would also suggest a forehead mounted LED lamp, a very good regular flashlight, a small roll of mechanics wire, some duct tape, and a few road flares. BTW, the flares also make great campfire starters. :)

Garry

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
a small inexpensive multimeter for troubleshooting roadside electrical issues. Make sure you refresh your rubber cement in your tire repair kit annually.[...] I would also suggest a forehead mounted LED lamp, a very good regular flashlight,
Very good points. 2 of the 3 can be had from HarborFright with freebie coupons. Okay, it's not a very good flashlight, but it is effective for roadside and priced right.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
My "tool kit" weighs in at about 20 pounds and consists of a lithium battery jumper/charger kit, 100-item emergency kit, meter, wire, fuses, wrenches, sockets, first aid/trauma kit, tow strap, tire plug kit and compressor, Rok Straps, rags, lubes and an assortment of other items I may never need or use. However, as a Boy Scout I was always taught to be prepared. My right saddle bag is filled with all of this every time I go ride and I move it to the car when using that. Plus I have a mini version when bicycling. That, my cell phone, Better World Club card and a Visa will always get me home :)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Here's what I carry on the bike:

In the tail under the rear seat
Assorted sockets (mix of 1/4 and 3/8 drive, ranging from 8 to 17mm)
Assorted JIS screwdriver tips in both flat and cross tip, various sizes
Assorted hex key tips, various sizes
Ratchet handle (with 1/4 and 3/8 drive adapters for the sockets)
Open-end and box-end wrenches in sizes from 8 mm to 17mm
Needlenose pliers

In the right saddlebag
Slime air compressor, fed from the cigarette lighter socket on the right fairing
Tire plug kit (has yet to have the shrink wrap off; with luck it never will.)
Home-built jumper cable with SAE connector to mate with the lead "permanently" connected to the battery

Not shown below: digital air pressure gauge, lives in the right fairing pocket

All the pieces out for inspection
20150914_180546.jpg

Packaged up and ready to be stowed
20150914_181246.jpg

All tucked away and ready to roll
20150914_181337.jpg

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I would add a 3/8 breaker bar, an adapter to 1/2 inch and a 22mm and a 27mm sockets just in case you need to remove the wheels for whatever reason.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Actually just yesterday ordered a "cruztools" kit and will add and subtract to it as needed. Or not needed. I really appreciate all the suggestions. It's a tool breakdown for the ST! I will be referring to this thread often.

Bike
2010 ST1300
A lot of very good posts here. When I was assembling my tool kit, I searched this site and printed out all of the various tool lists. (The Iron Butt site also has a comprehensive list). I looked for the consensus - e.g. many advocate the 22 and 27 mm sockets for the wheels (don't forget the large hex wrench for the front axle)*. And a lot of guys explain what NOT to take (Japanese bikes tend to use even number sized metric nuts and bolts and European bikes the odd numbers - with the occasional exception). I then decided what I was likely to do on a trip. If you are not going to change the oil, there is no need for your filter wrench, oil pan, and aluminum foil.

One item not mentioned - the owner's manual for a lot of good info, and xeroxes of some instructions (I carry the 'how to reset the speedohealer and GPI on my bike).

*The hex wrench for the front axle tends to be heavy and large (even the socket type). I found a metric nut and bolt that both fit the recess, welded them together and take that. A socket on one end of this stubby 'allen key' works great.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My 2007 came to me with no tool kit at all. I understand it may have shipped with no tools. I want to put a kit together and would really like it to fit in the sargent seat round tube which is about 7 x 4 inches round. I wonder what I should fill it with?
Thanks!
Jim
I carry a Leatherman, a 1/2"drive 27mm socket, a 5mm allen, some cable ties, electrical tape, baby jumper cables, a baby compressor and cheap gummy worm patch kit. That and a cell phone and AAA card.
Why a 27mm socket? Nobody on the road has one, but lots of people have a 1/2 drive wrench of some sort. I learned that the hard way.
You will use the 5mm allen, jumper cables and patch kit/compressor on the ST more than anything else.

Bike
2010 ST1300
jumper cables
Good one! I've not seen a decent small set of jumper cables for a bike, and my car's cables are huge! Might have to buy some #6 or #8 welding cable and make my own. These will surely get a workout. If not my bike, someone else's. Pushing an ST to start it is not what I consider fun.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Instead of jumper cables, I carry one of these; [h=1]
NOCO Genius Boost GB30 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter
[/h]
The thing will start a diesel pickup, it weighs less than 3 pounds, plus it has a flashlight and USB ports to charge other stuff too.

Garry

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Good one! I've not seen a decent small set of jumper cables for a bike, and my car's cables are huge! Might have to buy some #6 or #8 welding cable and make my own. These will surely get a workout. If not my bike, someone else's. Pushing an ST to start it is not what I consider fun.
You can make a set for less than $10 with 10ga low voltage wire used for 12v outdoor lights (Lowes) and some small red/black clips available almost anywhere. I have one of those fancy 12v power boxes that will start a V10, but I carry that in my car.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I carried a trunk full of tools when I drove the MG, Fiat, and VW cars I had back then. When I started owning Honda products I eventually left all that stuff at home. A roll of tape maybe, a few fuses perhaps, a light bulb.

The only tools I've ever used on the road on my Honda motorcycles are a 5 mm Allen to replace a tail light bulb and a 6 mm to tighten a Throttlemiester bar end that came loose. Neither event was a show stopper. I carry a tire plug kit and compressor that's seen duty but tools to pull wheels and rebuild motors? Not necessary to me in a quarter million miles on the two wheelers.

Top Bottom