2007 St1300 SMC problem

Bike
07 ST1300
To be precise, the problem is me! I wanted to lift the boot and squirt in some silcone grease, and the boot tore. I thought it would just lift but apparently not!
So..I am finding conflicting information about which part number I need. Seems there is a new and old style repair kit AND a new style SMC which may be beneficial to use.
Anyone clarify all this for me?
Seems counter productive to have that cavity facing UP to the weather. But what do I know.
I still did fill the cavity with silicone but this is temporary at best. And should it leak out and get on the rotor I will surely be unhappy.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is the 2008 SMC compatible with 2007 bikes?
Since they are different part numbers, I wouldn't think so!

45620-MCS-R02 is for '08 and newer

'07 and older:
PISTON SET, SECOND MASTER CYLINDER
45620-MCS-G03

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Just ordered a complete Bracket sub assembly for the SMC which includes the piston set for the 2007 ST1300. The parts and numbers have changed for the 2007 model.
The parts phish is here: http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/oempartfinder.htm#/Honda/ST1300_A_(07)_MOTORCYCLE,_JPN,_VIN#_JH2SC510-7M500001_TO_JH2SC510-7M599999/LEFT_FRONT_BRAKE_CALIPER_('07)/ST1300-07-JPN-A/14MCS701AMCSAF1101BA

Old part number - 45620-MCS-G03 PISTON SET, SECOND MASTER CYLINDER
New part number - 45620-MCS-G04 PISTON SET, SECOND MASTER CYLINDER

BTW this site has good prices.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just ordered a complete Bracket sub assembly for the SMC which includes the piston set for the 2007 ST1300. The parts and numbers have changed.
The parts phish is here: http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/oempartfinder.htm#/Honda/ST1300_A_(07)_MOTORCYCLE,_JPN,_VIN#_JH2SC510-7M500001_TO_JH2SC510-7M599999/LEFT_FRONT_BRAKE_CALIPER_('07)/ST1300-07-JPN-A/14MCS701AMCSAF1101BA

Old part number - 45620-MCS-G03 PISTON SET, SECOND MASTER CYLINDER
New part number - 45620-MCS-G04 PISTON SET, SECOND MASTER CYLINDER

BTW this site has good prices.
Partzilla parts numbers aren't up to date, I guess!

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wouldn't know about Partzilla, but I do believe that the old part would have worked but maybe not have the latest features. I also think you're advice to get the 2007 part is great advice. :D
With Partzilla, what my experience with them has been, if there is a newer, replacement part, they will send that to you and not the older part.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Well yes they are different parts/different numbers. BUT can the post 07 part be used on a pre 08 bike? I thought I read maybe it could in the myriad of threads and pages on this subject.
Perhaps they just re designed the nose of it so water would drain. Maybe just drilled a damn drain hole? I dont know so I am asking.
I guess if it were compatible and suggested, then the new part number would REPLACE the old. But again I dont know.
And maybe I should drill my OWN drain hole..Hmm

Since they are different part numbers, I wouldn't think so!

45620-MCS-R02 is for '08 and newer

'07 and older:
PISTON SET, SECOND MASTER CYLINDER
45620-MCS-G03

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
They made some changes to the front brakes back in 2008, just that alone would have me worried about trying to use 2008 brake parts on a 2007...

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well yes they are different parts/different numbers. BUT can the post 07 part be used on a pre 08 bike? I thought I read maybe it could in the myriad of threads and pages on this subject.
Perhaps they just re designed the nose of it so water would drain. Maybe just drilled a damn drain hole? I dont know so I am asking.
I guess if it were compatible and suggested, then the new part number would REPLACE the old. But again I dont know.
And maybe I should drill my OWN drain hole..Hmm
My opinion, go with the year of the bike on the parts phish. No hard lessons that way. I wouldn't drill a drain hole myself, I'd just pack the boot with brake grease and prevent water entry to begin with as the service manual suggests. Maybe you could improve it though, your bike.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Oh trust me I wont be the guinea pig here. I thought maybe it had been done and is a suggested move. Looks like the answer is no so far.
I still am flirting with drilling a drain hole, but it's just an idea. Need to examine things in the bright light of day first. Though if it were a good idea I guess it would have come up already.

They made some changes to the front brakes back in 2008, just that alone would have me worried about trying to use 2008 brake parts on a 2007...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Pm me a contact number and I will call you on the white courtesy :call:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
snipped............ I wouldn't drill a drain hole myself, I'd just pack the boot with brake grease and prevent water entry to begin with as the service manual suggests.....
The service manual, at least through 2007, details replacement of the boot with no mention of grease. My own experience has been good with the design. Keep the provided drain hole or channel clean and free of debris and the boot in serviceable condition and water shouldn't be a problem. The area is easy to inspect and problems will be seen long before the SMC seizes.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
If all you need is the boot it is available separately. I did the same thing on my 07 and the boot tore. Nothing wrong with the SMC. I will find the PN and post here later.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
The part number for the boot only is 43504-MB2-006. If your SMC is working like mine was and the only the boot is damaged just apply some silicone grease to the push rod and replace the boot. it was less than 6 bucks.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
From my 2010 Service Manual: PP 17-30 top of page " Apply silicone grease to the boot fitting area and piston contact area of the push rod".
You are correct, mine says "Apply silicone grease to the push rod boot fitting area". It doesn't say pack the boot with grease but packing the boot probably wouldn't hurt anything.

Leaving it unpacked seems as least as reliable. If I'm not mistaken bikes with grease packed boots failed at least a second time. Examples of factory original ones with intact boots and seals have lasted easily over 100,000 miles, even over 150,000 miles.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If I'm not mistaken bikes with grease packed boots failed at least a second time.
I can't support this conclusion. My experience is different.

Mine failed the first time because it wasn't greased or bled at the PCV; although, I paid the shop to service the brake system and flush it. When I got to it for the first time Larry walked me though the SMC (Thanks Larry). Black fluid came out of the PCV, the pivot bearing was frozen, and the SMC was corroded. One of the service points was greasing the SMC according to the manual. I got it all working again and now two years later it failed again. It failed because I forced fluid back into it when I pressed the rear caliper pistons in without opening the bleed nipple on the outer side, failed to notice that little entry in John's article (Thanks for the great article John). Since it was already weak this was it's death nail, "Anna's Dad" concurred with my thoughts.

I got my new SMC assembly yesterday evening and will be installing it this morning. The first thing I'm going to do is grease the SCM boot and piston while it's easy to get to. Tempted to block the weep hole with brake grease to prevent water penetration to the piston area. Personal opinion is to grease it when new to prevent corrosion issues.

I'd Like to give a big thanks and shout out to Larry, John, Mark, Joe, and "Anna's Dad" for the insightful articles and thoughts on brakes.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Yes spoke to Larry last night. Great guy!
Reg does the weep hole enter into the area UNDER the boot? I have yet to disassemble and examine. Hard to believe that would be the case. The hole actually lets water in?
Maybe it's meant to let brake fluid out in case of a leaky piston seal?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can't support this conclusion. My experience is different.

Mine failed the first time because it wasn't greased or bled at the PCV; although, I paid the shop to service the brake system and flush it. When I got to it for the first time Larry walked me though the SMC (Thanks Larry). Black fluid came out of the PCV, the pivot bearing was frozen, and the SMC was corroded. One of the service points was greasing the SMC according to the manual. I got it all working again and now two years later it failed again. It failed because I forced fluid back into it when I pressed the rear caliper pistons in without opening the bleed nipple on the outer side, failed to notice that little entry in John's article (Thanks for the great article John). Since it was already weak this was it's death nail, "Anna's Dad" concurred with my thoughts.

I got my new SMC assembly yesterday evening and will be installing it this morning. The first thing I'm going to do is grease the SCM boot and piston while it's easy to get to. Tempted to block the weep hole with brake grease to prevent water penetration to the piston area. Personal opinion is to grease it when new to prevent corrosion issues.

I'd Like to give a big thanks and shout out to Larry, John, Mark, Joe, and "Anna's Dad" for the insightful articles and thoughts on brakes.
My opinion on maintaining the LBS is simply "do the recommended service on time and correctly". I know that is simple minded but it seems to work and prevents much grief later.

Top Bottom