Best New Old Stock Buy?

I am considering buying a new ST1300ABS rather than a used one, but would like to be well informed. I have seen some dealers shared here and other search engines who sell new old stock discounted to as far as $10.5K. Is there a specific incentive from Honda Corp. to add to the discussion with a dealer? I live in Southern California and there are two dealers that I know of that show new bikes in stock but not discounted much. I have no experience bringing an out of state bike back and registering it here so would that be a reasonable option time and money wise?

Used bikes are not off the table yet.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I bought my 2012 ST1300a last Dec 9 for 10500. It was still in the crate two days before I bought it. The dealer even let me do a test ride. The ST only had .04 miles on it. My test ride added 30. I have not regretted it. Full warranty. Jump in and do it. The bike list for around 18000. Used 2012's are all more than 9000. It is the best deal on a ST.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
The only incentive I've heard of is when they bring out a 'new' model and have to sell the previous model at a discount to get them out the door. Dealers will often take a small loss to avoid the "floor plan" expiring and having to pay interest on unsold vehicles. That's why dealers don't want to discuss new models when they have current models in stock.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Having ST's still on the market and trying to sale detuned CTX 1300 that they can't give away is not good. They told me model close out for USA. But that did not matter to me because I was already looking for the best ST for my money. Lowest price with the least miles and best condition. Paul

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
To the best of my knowledge all ST 1300's are fifty state legal. Go for it! Heck I paid $ 13,000 for my '03 which at 81,000 miles still looks and runs like new.

Ed

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
You need to talk to this guy SupraSabre as he has more ST1300's then any other member and just picked up a 2012 at a great price.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
i have purchased 2 st1300 left overs first was an 05 bought new in June 06 payed $11,500 , second was 2007 st1300 abs bought new November 2011 $12,500 i don't know if they get incentives from factory or not but they definitely discount them to get rid of them had to do a fly and ride to Baltimore MD to get 07 st1300 and MD has some weird rule the vehicle had to be licensed before it left the dealership so the dealer contacted my county treasurer and had my ks state plate on the bike when i arrived to pick up the bike. Really made the purchase and registration really easy . all i had to do was just pay my annual renewal fees when they were due, :)

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not sure about California, but here in Ohio, if you buy an out of state vehicle, you simply provide the bill of sale and title and they issue you temp tags. Then you take the bike/car to an inspection station where they verify the VIN (I read mine off to the woman who was standing 6' away on the sidewalk), they give you a certificate, and that , plus the title, and sales tax (cash) get me a new Ohio motor vehicle title. If a used bike is sold for way lower than their range of prices, you might have to justify said low price - blown motor, etc. If it is ridiculously low, you have to pay their lowest estimated value for the bike - this came about because a small number* of people were lying about the sale price (and thus the sales tax to be paid).

It is all straightforward and not much of a hassle unless you don't have the appropriate paperwork.

*You know the joke - the 90% of crooked (insert your fav profession here) ruin the reputation for all the rest....

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Just for reference, STrayCatt said he saw an ad on Cycle Trader yesterday for a 98 1100-A with 8000 miles asking $10,000. :D

I Don't Think So.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jhn_plsn
i have purchased 2 st1300 left overs first was an 05 bought new in June 06 payed $11,500 , second was 2007 st1300 abs bought new November 2011 $12,500 i don't know if they get incentives from factory or not but they definitely discount them to get rid of them had to do a fly and ride to Baltimore MD to get 07 st1300 and MD has some weird rule the vehicle had to be licensed before it left the dealership so the dealer contacted my county treasurer and had my ks state plate on the bike when i arrived to pick up the bike. Really made the purchase and registration really easy . all i had to do was just pay my annual renewal fees when they were due, :)
I've been thinking about a fly and ride. There are a few good deals to be had in Texas. I sure would be reintroduced by the time I made it home to Socal. I have not ridden since 1992ish, but that would not stop me. The first ride would certainly be the adventure ride.

By the way, SuperSabre lives about 30 clicks south of me so I surely do hope to hook up once I have a ride to share. Shoot I might end up on one of his.:D

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I've been thinking about a fly and ride. There are a few good deals to be had in Texas. I sure would be reintroduced by the time I made it home to Socal. I have not ridden since 1992ish, but that would not stop me. The first ride would certainly be the adventure ride.

By the way, SuperSabre lives about 30 clicks south of me so I surely do hope to hook up once I have a ride to share. Shoot I might end up on one of his.:D
Fyi I just found a new 2012 abs st1300 black in color for $10200 brand new out the door price in Washington MO at JW cycles. Phone 1 877 564 5794. I know nothing about the dealer just found it on cycletrader. I don't even know if they still have it

Last edited:
OP
OP
jhn_plsn
Fyi I just found a new 2012 abs st1300 black in color for $10200 brand new out the door price in Washington No at JW cycles. Phone 1 877 564 5794. I know nothing about the dealer just found it on cycletrader. I don't even know if they still have it
Thank You.

I am poking the locals first. I do have some obstacles that have priority, but hope to at least take names and have some local contacts when the time comes to pull the trigger. So far I am only receiving contact confirmations and I am making it clear that I am not buying until after the new year.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The one time I bought a car from a dealer in another state they were able to make the initial registration in the state where I live. Maybe the same with bikes?

I have read, somewhere, that Honda did in fact do a refinancing / repricing of some sort to help dealers unload the last of the vine-ripened STs but I can't recall exactly where I may have run across it nor the accuracy / reliability of the report. You might try posting the question on the "other" ST forum; there is at least one former Honda dealer there who still maintains ties to the industry.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The only dealer incentive regarding an ST is the dust gathering on a floor model or its crate. Honda does offer them from time to time but nothing for the ST except your ability to deal.

Being in CA and in SoCal specifically I think your odds of getting a good deal on New Old Stock (which I think is a great way to go) are slim. But if SuperSabre did it maybe he can offer some help.

Whether checking near or far you'd probably want to find a dealer with one in stock rather than ordering from the Honda's warehouse. I'd guessing a dealer with one sitting on the floor would be more willing to deal than someone who would bring one in for you.

I have no idea about the ins and outs of Fly n Ride but for a decent deal I'd give it a shot were I in the market. Going to the DMV and finding out what you need would be the first step once you find a deal. The dealer may have some insight.

Once you have whatever CA needs just saddle up and ride home.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
From what I understand, if you bring the bike back to California, after buying it in another state, you'll have to get an emissions test even though it is a new 50 state legal bike. It's popular on the Corvette forum to buy cars from the big east coast dealers at prices that the California dealers just won't match. Even though the cars are new they have to be emissions tested. A large number of them won't actually pass the California emissions test until they get a few hundred miles on them.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
From what I understand, if you bring the bike back to California, after buying it in another state, you'll have to get an emissions test even though it is a new 50 state legal bike. It's popular on the Corvette forum to buy cars from the big east coast dealers at prices that the California dealers just won't match. Even though the cars are new they have to be emissions tested. A large number of them won't actually pass the California emissions test until they get a few hundred miles on them.
Motorcycles are not required to have a smog inspection in California. From the California DMV site:

California requires all vehicles to undergo a smog inspection EXCEPT:
?Gasoline-powered vehicles model year 1975 and older.
?Natural gas-powered vehicles weighing over 14,000 lbs. .
?Diesel-powered vehicles that: ?Are model year 1997 and older.
?OR
?Have a gross weight rating of over 14,000 lbs.

?Electric vehicles.
?Motorcycles.

Dan

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
If you buy from out of state you'll pay the sales tax on the new-never-been-registered bike... Well that is how it worked here in AZ.

I'd do a fly-n-ride to get an ABS bike if the local ones are not ABS...

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
You also must remember that these deals will not last forever. Once all 2012 STs are gone that is it. I do not see them as much as I did a year ago.

Top Bottom