Oops I did it again !

That's not an oops. That's a holy cow check this STeal I just made. So, are you gonna fix and sell or fix and keep?

Tip-over covers?

Yep....good catch. One has a little oweee, but the other has seen a couple tips.

Just finished the valve clearance check.........77,000 miles and they are all within spec. Only one exhaust is running at the limit of tight. I was pleased.. but the gaskets are shot. Just put in an order for both and and new right hand mirror.

Is it bed time yet ??????

ToddC

That's not an oops. That's a holy cow check this STeal I just made. So, are you gonna fix and sell or fix and keep?

I Like fixing them. and for the price I can keep it for my sons to join me, or for any of you EaST coaSTers who don't have WA on your STate list done yet.....fly out and ride with me on this new bike. It will ride like a new one when I'm done with it.

ToddC

That is looking like my only option other than buying new........

So far these are the things I have found to be in need of some Love.....

New back tire
right mirror missing
thermostat stuck
missing only one fairing fastener
lower plastic stained
new oil
new diff oil
top off rear shock preload oil
lots o dirt
front fork seal bad on right side
needs warranty work done

I'm sure I'll find more...

Todd
View attachment 169393View attachment 169394check out the exact miles are 77,000 when I picked it up.

From my recollection of when we viewed the bike you also have the added bonus of dealing with Charlotte and her relatives.... Looks good in your garage and am looking forward to seeing her on the road when she's cleaned up.

So, here's an update on what got done this weekend......

Lot-o-cleaning.
Valves checked - OK
New thermostat
tighten hose clamps
change oil
change final drive oil
Change coolant
Top off rear shock preload oil
Did I say Lot-o-cleaning.......see below difference in the front forks behind the fairing.
2003 ST1300 051 (Small).jpg2003 ST1300 053 (Small).jpg
and the pipes.....
2003 ST1300 062 (Small).jpg2003 ST1300 064 (Small).jpg

ToddC

Wow, nice pipes! How many miles will they look that way?

You're really making me kick myself for passing on it... Boy that is cleaning up nicely.

Wow, who'd a thunk it woulda been that perty underneath all that rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're really making me kick myself for passing on it... Boy that is cleaning up nicely.

Cleaned up the wheels.....fronts were covered in dried fork oil and road grime.....
2003 ST1300 023 (Small).jpg 2003 ST1300 076 (Small).jpg 2003 ST1300 077 (Small).jpg check out how clean the front of motor is now in third pic......click to enlarge.

Back wheel looks good too....
2003 ST1300 074 (Small).jpg

ToddC

Last edited:
OK an update on the ol' grey Mare.....

Got the new valve cover gaskets yesterday, so today is install the new gaskets and the new left mirror from Partzilla.
In my first report I stated that it looked like no one had looked at the valves, but I can tell someone was under the covers because there was gasket sealant on the old crusty gaskets. When checkin the valve clearances they were all OK.

The next things to do after this is to take the bike to the dealer for the warranty inspections and the ground wire repair that were Honda recalls for the 2003 model year.

I already worked a deal with the local Honda dealer, Ride Motorsports, that if I bring in the bike naked (so they don't get to screw up my fairing) for the warranty service, they will rebuild my forks seals and wipers for half price, if I bring in the forks off the bike. Kinda a win win.
2003 ST1300 059 (Small).jpg
Then it's time to burn up the old gas and maybe smoke the old tire before I replace it...... ;-)

Anyone done a burnout on their ST1300??? Get any video? or pics?
I haven't done one in years......it was standard when I was a young buck to have a tire roast before removing the rear for a new one.

Ok time to go have fun in the garage......2003 ST1300 057 (Small).jpg ToddC

All these nekid STs... what's this place coming to? Joe, have you seen this?

Sorry Joe, I'll get her clothes back on. I even rode her 32 miles Neked this afternoon for the first time. Now it has 77,032 miles on it....

2003 ST1300 007 (Small).jpg

Hope this is more family friendly shot of the Ol' Grey Mare....pre strip down.

ToddC

If you still need to clean up the faded plastic I've had great luck with wipe new. Used it on faded jeep fenders two years ago and they still look great.

Top Bottom