Dang, another flat tire!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
LOL No need to spend big money on tire inflation kit when for a few bucks you can get flat prevention kit! And it'll spare you the additional heartbreak of a flat in a new tire.
Where can I find one of the flat prevention kits of which you speak?

Bike
'07 ST1300
Here's a quick trivia about flats. My neighbor said that most flats are on the rear tire. Why?
The front tire flips the nail/screw/shrapnel up and the rear hits it before it can settle on its side again.
Sounds right to me. All mine have been rear.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Here's a quick trivia about flats. My neighbor said that most flats are on the rear tire. Why?
The front tire flips the nail/screw/shrapnel up and the rear hits it before it can settle on its side again.
Sounds right to me. All mine have been rear.
Mine too, in 40 years of riding various bikes. I've also heard what your neighbor told you. The basic reason most flats are on the rear, as I understand it, is that rear tires are nail magnets.

Bike
92 ST1100
To help from having that bothersome flat tire while riding a LD trip, when tires are mounted, have 4oz. of Ride-On put in both front and rear wheel(8oz bottle). This not only instantly plugs any hole in tire while riding, but also perfectly balances tire. Pretty amazing to have watched this product demostated at a local dealership at my location!..........a sixteen foot board filled throughout the length with nails, motorcycle ran over it the full length receiving several punctures. Tire pressure was checked after coming off the board and only 2lbs. of tire pressure were lost on both wheels! Best part is, most all motorcycle shops and dealerships offer this product as an alternative to weight balancing,,,,,,and recommend it.
I use this product, and have been amazed as to how smooth the wheels rotate at speed! You can Google the product for the demonstation video and info.
In my book, the best thing since sliced- bread! Would not leave on a LD ride without it installed in both my wheels/tires;).

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have heard impressive praises about this product, and though I've never used it, I have used a form of fix-a-flat back in the '80s to at least partially seal a leak so I could limp home on my GS850. However, I have since heard that most mechanics hate these products because of the gooey mess they make inside the tire when the tire is changed. I've also heard that some of these products are corrosive when used on alloy wheels. Both are good reasons to avoid such products, unless there are some that are non-corrosive and the only "mess" they make of the wheel is non-gooey and easy to remove.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Many moons ago, I used a product called Balance Plus, which was the gooey type stuff that I had more than one mechanic cuss me out for! ;)

When Byron and I got to know each other and I started having him mount and balance my tires, I learned a lot about how to do it properly! Now that he moved off to Kentucky, I get to practice those wonderful tips on my own! But, balancing and me never could get along very good, so I decided to try something new. Ceramic beads! I just got my first order in and they will be going into the front tire I'll be mounting next month. We'll see how they do for balance! :D

As for flats, I have my plug kit in the bike now.

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Many moons ago, I used a product called Balance Plus, which was the gooey type stuff that I had more than one mechanic cuss me out for! ;)

When Byron and I got to know each other and I started having him mount and balance my tires, I learn a lot about how to do it properly! Now that he moved off to Kentucky, I get to practice those wonderful tips on my own! But, balancing and me never could get along very good, so I decided to try something new. Ceramic beads! I just got my first order in and they will be going into the front tire I'll be mounting next month. We'll see how they do for balance! :D

As for flats, I have my plug kit in the bike now.
When you say "ceramic beads" , do you mean like the product Dyna beads? I have used them before and they do work. They're mainly used for tubeless tires but I even tried them in tubed tires with good success.

Bike
92 ST1100
I imagine DynaBeads be what's referred to. Still, to take care of balancing AND a flat issue, Ride-On tops the list and is recommended by majority of bike dealers and bike shops;).

Bike
2010 ST1300
I should have stayed away from this thread. I picked up a self tapping screw in the rear tire and will now be ordering those plug patches Supra talked about. Thankfully it was dead center in the tread.

Attachments

Bike
2021 KTM 890 Adventu
Flat rear tonight. Did not have my repair kit. Paid a shade tree auto mechanic $20 to plug for me. Tire only has 200 miles on it. I may ride it locally for a while with my kit on board.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have read that to do a plug patch properly you should grind the inside of the tire a bit to make it flat so the patch will adhere properly have any of you done this?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I have read that to do a plug patch properly you should grind the inside of the tire a bit to make it flat so the patch will adhere properly have any of you done this?
That's what the garages do for car tires when they use that "T" type pin patch from the inside.I'm sure it's the same for bike tires.

I think the reason for the tire grinding is to get the surface clean, so the patch adheres well.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, most tires have a rough inside, if you want the patch part to stick, you have to get it smoothed down a bit!

Top Bottom