colonscopy

Putt-Putt

Dave Putnam
Bike
'08 ST1300
STOC #
Great news on the clean test results Mac.
My most memorable episode was a few years ago. I did the whole prep routine, then got a call from the Dr's office. "Don't come in today, our machine is broke" In responce to my moan, the nurse said "Oh, but don't you feel clean!" Got to do it all again the next week. It's all good though and the peace of mind is a great feeling.

Dave

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
The Doctor called me a few minutes ago and told me I was completely cancer free and had nothing to worry about. I already knew I had nothing to worry about, because he told me that last week, but now I know for sure. Thanks to all who prayed for me and wished me well. I do have to go for another colonoscopy in August
That is some good news Mac! I hope our paths cross several times this year!

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
I refused the sedatives and while the procedure was uncomfortable I think the doctor is a little more careful too. 3 Polyps out. all Ok but I now get to repeat the procedure more often. I weighed the effects of the drugs vs the likelihood it would hurt. I liked that I could immediately leave the hospital and assume a normal day. Most of those drugs make me toss my cookies too so i usually benefit from not taking sedatives. Now id the doctor had a knife I would have preferred unconscious.

OP
OP
motomac
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
The drugs I got had no side effects and I walked out of the facility under my own power less than an hour after the procedure.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Got mine done today... Apparently, I have the colon of a 20 year old... not sure that pick-up line will work in bars..but hey, he said don't come back for 5 years so I'm okay with that. He found one 5mm polyp that he said would end up being nothing.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I've been anti-doctor for a long time. Only visit if I break something or need stronger meds than the drug store sells. That being said, I made a New Years resolution to get a physical. When I called she said I needed a "new patient" appointment first because it had been 6 years since I was last there. LOL. Sure hope I don't have to give up any habits!!!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
A close friend of mine went to his annual physical and found he had esophageal cancer - a silent killer - no pain, no outward symptoms. They caught it just in time and were able to take care of it - so sometimes it can save your life. I don't like doctors either, but once a year it's sort of good to see if anything needs repairing, replacing or removing! :D I seem to fall in to the 'repairing' too often, but I guess it must be the high mileage ... ;-) I'm up to every ten years on my colonscopy - for that I am very thankful!

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Go to the DR get physicals and colonoscopies etc. I have had 2 and luckily they were clean ( no pun) and as I'm 62 the Dr. said I probably will not need another. I lost a very close friend to stomach cancer and another very close friend just had a biopsy for suspected stomach cancer I served in the Air Force with both these guys and have stayed close. I just found out about the second one last night. I am still in a bit of shock and stomach cancer does not have a very good survival rate. It doesn't get caught in the early stages very often. All that being said go to the DR's and get those tests done.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
A close friend of mine went to his annual physical and found he had esophageal cancer - a silent killer - no pain, no outward symptoms. They caught it just in time and were able to take care of it - so sometimes it can save your life. I don't like doctors either, but once a year it's sort of good to see if anything needs repairing, replacing or removing! :D I seem to fall in to the 'repairing' too often, but I guess it must be the high mileage ... ;-) I'm up to every ten years on my colonscopy - for that I am very thankful!
UP, how did they catch the esophageal cancer? Will it show up on a routine blood test?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Go to the DR get physicals and colonoscopies etc. I have had 2 and luckily they were clean ( no pun) and as I'm 62 the Dr. said I probably will not need another. I lost a very close friend to stomach cancer and another very close friend just had a biopsy for suspected stomach cancer I served in the Air Force with both these guys and have stayed close. I just found out about the second one last night. I am still in a bit of shock and stomach cancer does not have a very good survival rate. It doesn't get caught in the early stages very often. All that being said go to the DR's and get those tests done.
Sorry to hear that Steve.

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
I've told my doctor he had better never utter the words "if we'd caught it in time..." to me.

+1 on "listen to your body."

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Just scheduled my annual physical for Jan 17th and this is my 10 year for colonoscopy. Taking care of your body is like preventive maintenance on your M/C.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
UP, how did they catch the esophageal cancer? Will it show up on a routine blood test?
Ken - Best I remember there were some abnormalities in his blood tests which brought on more tests. It's sort like an aneurysm which is also a silent killer. Mine showed on a cat scan in 2013 for a kidney stone. Then my PCP monitored it every 6 months to be safe. No pain and no symptoms until it gets ready to bust! On the blood clot in my left leg (which is what I thought it was), my PCP always checks the circulation in my extremities (high cholesterol) so he spotted the reduced flow immediately and ordered sonograms to verify. Now waiting to see the vascular guy to get it fixed. There is great value to having a physician that knows you and your body and can notice subtle changes over time - and that you can build a trust relationship with.

Top Bottom