2017 IBR. The BIG one

Bike
ST1300
The passenger cannot drive, not even in a hotel parking lot. I do think the upside is routing and navigating by the passenger while the driver focuses on driving. I know I constantly do math, scenarios, and a few options while I do rallies, but I haven't done anything half the size of the IBR. I have to admit that the advantages of riding two up would be somewhat offset by the challenges of managing two bladders, hunger, sleep needs, and happiness!!!!!

ELC

Bike
2012 ST1300A
The passenger cannot drive, not even in a hotel parking lot. I do think the upside is routing and navigating by the passenger while the driver focuses on driving. I know I constantly do math, scenarios, and a few options while I do rallies, but I haven't done anything half the size of the IBR. I have to admit that the advantages of riding two up would be somewhat offset by the challenges of managing two bladders, hunger, sleep needs, and happiness!!!!!
Having ridden rallies both solo and 2-up on the ST and the Wing I'm convinced that 2-up can be a huge advantage.
You both eat and sleep at the same time, and I fuel while she hits the head then I'm off to the head, pretty much the same time frame as solo.
But at bonuses she's writing while I'm driving. We have two sets of eyes and talking helps keep me awake. We can bounce ideas off one another while we're riding.
The only disadvantage for me is when she hits me in the head for doing something stupid.
I get hit a lot.............

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Jeff, thanks for the info about the additional couple of riders. I didn't realize Raven was in the rally and Wolf is an unknown to me. Have you talked him into attending OnSTOC yet?!?
Wolfe is practically your neighbor - he's from Stoney Creek. A real interesting guy. I guess 1st met him at a Horizons Unlimited weekend a few years ago. Then again at the Twisted Throttle open house a month or so ago where he was doing a presentation. He's a fun guy to talk to!

Wolfe would like you to enter the rally series he runs. The next one is July 22 Wanna sign up with me?

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Posted on Facebook 36 minutes ago ... do we have members in Shreveport or vicintity?

‎Joey Lawson‎ to Long-Distance Motorcycle Endurance Rallying
36 mins ·
Re-posting from the LD riders list:
We have an IBR rider in need of mechanical assistance.
If anyone is in the Shreveport area with access to a fuel pump for an 05 ST1300, Garry Springgay really needs your help.
Could someone please post this on the ST13 Owners forum ASAP?
I can be contacted here:
harrison@ironbutt.com
Thanks!
John

OP
OP
OhioDeere

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
This wouldn't be something for my wife and I!!!! Lol!! It would be disastrous !! Haha

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Wolfe is practically your neighbor - he's from Stoney Creek. A real interesting guy. I guess 1st met him at a Horizons Unlimited weekend a few years ago. Then again at the Twisted Throttle open house a month or so ago where he was doing a presentation. He's a fun guy to talk to!

Wolfe would like you to enter the rally series he runs. The next one is July 22 Wanna sign up with me?
He runs some interesting rallies. I just did the *** rally a couple weeks ago. Had a great time and Wolfe was hilarious at the awards ceremony. Wind and Water is the July version based out of Niagara Falls for start and finish.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR

I would love to! Thanks for asking, that would be a blast. Unfortunately I'm out-of-province then and I can't change my plans at this point. Crap. (And I write this after spending 30 minutes reading every page of his website.) I'm really disappointed that I can't participate in this.

Can't believe that I've not heard of his rallies previously. I've been invited to attend multiple rallies with other STO riders but all have been US-based and I couldn't make it work because of the time involved in getting there and back.
PS - You were at Twisted Throttle (in New Dundee!) and didn't give me a ring?!? :confused:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Six riders going to Key West! Must be a boatload of points without regard to string benefits. Awesome. Looks like they'll be heading back up the causeway, on 4th of July weekend at about . . . rush hour.

It'll be interesting to see their return route that gets them back to Allen, TX, by 8pm CDT tomorrow (to avoid penalty points) but definitely not later than the 10:00pm CDT witching hour after which they're DNF.

Shuey

I do like checking into spotwalla throughout the day and seeing nothing but orange and green icons.....no red.

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Do we have any type of update on the guy in Louisiana that needed the fuel pump for his 1300? Hoping he is back on the road by now....

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Six riders going to Key West! Must be a boatload of points without regard to string benefits. Awesome. Looks like they'll be heading back up the causeway, on 4th of July weekend at about . . . rush hour.

It'll be interesting to see their return route that gets them back to Allen, TX, by 8pm CDT tomorrow (to avoid penalty points) but definitely not later than the 10:00pm CDT witching hour after which they're DNF.

Shuey
going to be tough for sure. That group and the bike in NYC are about 23 hours away from Allen. Not much rest time in those equations since they've already been at it all day probably.

Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #
Iron Butt Rally 2017

From Rally scribe John Harrison

IBR rider Bob Bowman needs a Garmin 665 at CP2 in Allen, TX.

Please cross post to other lists, especially the ST1300 owners forum.

If you have one and can be here with it, you can email me.

harrison@ironbutt.com

Thanks,
John

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
104 riders checked in for Checkpoint 1. It's going to be interesting to see how many riders check in for Check Point 2 for scoring. Besides the riders already noted as having dropped out in the Daily Reports SpotWalla shows one rider near Phoenix and two riders in Florida with about 10.33 hours to run until they're DNF. None seem to be moving, so I'm guessing they've dropped out . . . otherwise, the rider showing near Midway, FL, needs to average, that's AVERAGE, 85mph to get to Allen in time. The rider showing near The Villages, FL, needs to average about 100mph and the rider located near Phoenix, AZ, also needs to average about 100mph.

Unless there's some problem with their SPOT devices that's three more that won't be on the Checkpoint two scoring list. With the others we know about, the count is now in two digits and dropping.

Shuey

PS: Just checked the SpotWalla update and it looks like the rider near Phoenix is heading West, I'm guessing home.

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
PS: Just checked the SpotWalla update and it looks like the rider near Phoenix is heading West, I'm guessing home.
There was also a SPOT hanging around eastern PA for a while this morning, which has now disappeared. I assume that rider has also left the field.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Do we have any type of update on the guy in Louisiana that needed the fuel pump for his 1300? Hoping he is back on the road by now....
Yes, he has checked in to say he is back in running order, but lost 4 hours of bonus-collecting time.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
107 bikes at the start . . . 104 bikes at Checkpoint 1 . . . 98 or less coming in to Checkpoint 2.

Riders arriving in Allen are tired and hot and . . . still excited. All will get some rest at the Checkpoint after struggling with creating their ride plan for Leg 3. Diminished capacity will affect many in their planning process. They'll depart Allen on Day 7 on their final Leg, adrenalin running at the start, somewhat refreshed from some limited sleep and in relatively good spirits. The first 6 days of accumulated physical and mental stress will not be fully recovered at the Checkpoint and they will soon be spending down more of what they have left. This is a really long leg . . . FIVE days! Points will be a lot higher than the first two, but more stressful to achieve.

I wonder what new machinations will be thrown into the mix of strings and time/distance equations to confound and confuse the weary riders as they roam North America heading back to Minneapolis.

Ride safe all,

Shuey

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
This is the first year that I've really "followed" the IBR. I must say...I'm enjoying it. I understand the reasoning but I sure wish the "SPOT tags" had the rider's name. Anyone know what time the checkpoint closes today/tonight?

OP
OP
OhioDeere

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
This is the first year that I've really "followed" the IBR. I must say...I'm enjoying it. I understand the reasoning but I sure wish the "SPOT tags" had the rider's name. Anyone know what time the checkpoint closes today/tonight?
Penalties past 8:00 pm CST. DNF after 10:00 CST.

Top Bottom