ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
spiderman302 said:
CVC 22450

"shall stop" = complete stop = no forward motion = stop
I'm very familiar with 22450 and the what the phrase 'shall stop' means in CA. But it doesn't help with my question about other states and the alleged 3sec 'law'.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
27400 CVC was changed in the not too distant past as to get that exemption in subsection d back then, the earplugs had to be custom made. The law was changed to allow over the counter, non custom earplugs. Even with 33 db of attenuation, I don't know of a siren on an emergency vehicle that is not much louder than that. So you're okay wearing earplugs. I'm retired CHP and we received updated yearly training on new CVC sections and I remember the training the year after the change included 27400 CVC so the officers were aware of it.

As for the "3 second rule" as the definition of a complete stop, it is utter nonsense. I've heard of it used as a "rule" of thumb but never in any legal definition or case law.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jonz said:
I've heard of it used as a "rule" of thumb but never in any legal definition or case law.
Neither have I as far as CA is concerned. Still people in other states say they're 'sure it's required' in their state. (Like 'I don't think I was speeding' BS.) I think it's something dads tell their kids 'to keep them safe' but since I don't know it's tough to call BS. So I asked if anybody knows that to be statue law or have a case law reference I'd appreciate a link.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Yeah, your "'not likely" is not much comfort to others cause it may happen. I have had twice a LEO threaten to write me up for a fictitious law about putting both feet down at a STOP sign.

I wear custom fit IEM's. From the street view an officer would never know, only in a stop could they find out. But if they want to take me to court, I'll be happy to go. I already had a rental cop try to bust me on base for the feet thing; when he tried to talk to me about how I know a motorcycle comes to a stop I couldn't hear him until I took out my ear monitors.

His first question... how do I know a motorcycle is stopped? He thought it's because I put my feet down. I told him you don't need to. He cited some fictitious law, I told him him he just missed the moment.

I'm awaiting the battle, firmly believe it'll happen since the state is a no-helmet and I prefer a full.
At 16 in Illinois I flunked my drivers license test for my bike license the 1st time because I didn't put both feet down at the stop sign. It was her way of busting me because she asked how I got the Bike (Harley Sprint 175) down to the DMV. I told her that I pushed it there. Luckily the engine had cooled off. She knew I was lying to her but couldn't prove it. She showed me the two feet law. Sure enough there was one. Had to wait an hour and then did it all over again and made sure I had two ft down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
In 1982 when I was teaching MSF classes, we taught students to stop with only the left foot down.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
After 20 years of motorcycling, I finally got a set of custom in-ear plugs made. The kind that go into your canals and need to be removed by grasping a thread of fishing wire. Westone "Defenders" I believe they're called.

I don't know why it took so long. I always ride with plugs (unless I'm listening for a funny sound from the motor).

These were expensive; about $120 through my employer. However, as I think back to all the foam and rubber ear plugs I've used over the years, getting these back then would've lent them to pay for themselves. The comfort is astounding by comparison.

Good advice. I consider ear plugs to be part of the ATGATT.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I worked for a large company (35, 000 employees) who ran a pilot project evaluating custom made ear plugs for employees who work in noisy environments. The conclusion of the health and safety committee (which included a co-chair who worked in one of those environments) is that these were not effective long term. The study concluded that over time people's ear canals are constantly changing shape and as the ear plug does not follow to conform to the changing shape of the ear canal their effectiveness is significantly reduced. As a result they were never deployed and I never got to try them. (No idea what kind of plugs, no idea what research material led to this conclusion.)

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used these long term what their opinion on the matter is.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
After 20 years of motorcycling, I finally got a set of custom in-ear plugs made. The kind that go into your canals and need to be removed by grasping a thread of fishing wire. Westone "Defenders" I believe they're called.

I don't know why it took so long. I always ride with plugs (unless I'm listening for a funny sound from the motor).

These were expensive; about $120 through my employer. However, as I think back to all the foam and rubber ear plugs I've used over the years, getting these back then would've lent them to pay for themselves. The comfort is astounding by comparison.

Good advice. I consider ear plugs to be part of the ATGATT.
I have three custom made. One silicone solid set, then, the Westone Concert series and the Westone ES60.

All three make me wonder why I waited.
Given a budget and variable protection requirements I'd highly recommend the concert set. With the 15db filters they are almost a flat response. Wonderful for wearing in a louder but not extreme environment. On the bike with the air pressure I'd swap in the solid plugs for 24+dba of reduction and protection.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The study concluded that over time people's ear canals are constantly changing shape and as the ear plug does not follow to conform to the changing shape of the ear canal their effectiveness is significantly reduced. As a result they were never deployed and I never got to try them. (No idea what kind of plugs, no idea what research material led to this conclusion.)

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used these long term what their opinion on the matter is.
Worked with and use multiple types. As far as people's ear canal changing, it happens more with turning your head then changing your age. But their are ways to neutralize the molds and materials (body heat sensitive vinyls) that allow them to conform the majority of the time. Been there done that every day. It more sounds like someone was fishing for a reason to drop the project.

My lowest grade (ie cheapest) plugs allow direct sound transmission when I turn my head to the far sides or I flex my jaw, but 99.6% of the time they work great and have for a few years, but I doubt your management is interested in the details. Sorry!

But if you are in such an environment I highly recommend you spend some flex money or your own and invest in your long term hearing. It's worth it. The cheapies can before had for under $100.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
OK, I'll ask the question...

I just use the disposable foam ones that have an NRR of 32. They seem to work very well for me... lots of noise reduction but I can still hear my Sena, horns, sirens, etc.

What makes the custom ones worth $100+?

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
After the second day of all day use my ears were sore with the foam disposables for me. I had already cut them shorter to get them to fit without pushing my earlobes out, so now I will try cutting the fat end off instead and see if that reduces the ache that develops eventually for me with long hours of use. When fitted properly they made a great difference in the road noise and wind noise. I can hear the intercom still with only a small increase in volume.

I have had my hearing tested and specifically asked is there was any damage from my years of riding without any earplugs. The technician said there was none, so I guess I am lucky. On my last long ride I had to stop wearing them because it just hurt too much by the end of the day.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Jock I was like you and found them uncomfortable and then I rode with Jeff a few times and watched him insert them in his ear and it works well for me as well. You need to roll the foam in between thumb and index finger till it becomes small enough to insert deep into the ear canal, no more discomfort and they work better to boot.

Gerhard

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I also got a box of 200 foam earplugs that are pretty good but still haven't found any that seal one ear really well. The Large is not quite large enough. They still make a big improvement at the end of a ride.
I need large earplugs too, and these work very well - once you learn the right way to seat them in per the instructions:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/hearos-ear-plugs---xtreme-protection-series/ID=prod6143128-product#!

Pick them up at your local Walgreens, or Amazon.....

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
its been years since I looked around, but there are many different sizes and styles available in foam earplugs. Here's one example:

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-protection/earplugs

When I rode everyday I went through them fairly quickly so I'd buy a box of 200 pairs (or split a box with someone else). Checked Amazon for current pricing and the 200 pair boxes go for roughly $18 to $25.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Have a look at this tutorial video for tips on how to install ear plugs properly. The technique of pulling your ear up and back to open up the ear canal really does make a big difference in making it easier to get the ear plug in and to get it in farther so that it does not fall out. I find most people do not push them far enough in to their ear. A word of caution- if you install them properly as shown in this video it will hurt your ears if you remove them to quickly and improperly due to the sudden air pressure change because they seal so well when installed properly. Follow the removal instructions shown in the video to prevent this. This company also sells many different models and in difference sizes. They are readily available and in my experience any safety supply store or auto arts can order them if they don't stock them. I have been using the Laser Lite model for years. I buy a box of 200 at time making them cheap.
+1 - this is the secret to successfully using foam earplugs. Absolutely !

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I understand some of the drawbacks of polarized glasses but for me the benefits far out weigh the limitations. I very much prefer polarized glasses. They really cut the glare that comes off the polished cement slab on morning and evening commutes. /
I agree, definitely prefer polarized. I wear polarized clip-ons over my glasses with no trouble looking through my visor, and since I never look through the windshield, no problem there.
The one major issue for me is - they mostly make my GPS un-viewable. For that reason alone, I'm looking for non-polarized clip-ons. They are hard to find !

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
this is the secret to successfully using foam earplugs.
This 'secret' is well-known for years to those of us who've used earbuds with foam tips. It's the reason we get good bass response without resorting to brands that give poor balance by emphasizing boomy bass that the kids seem to require.

But they still share the same fitment problem. What works for one person doesn't work for another. None of the silicone or variants work for me. The only ones that work well for both ears are memory foam tips made/sold by Shure.

I still haven't found foam plugs that fit one ear properly. Of course if I buried it in the ear canal it might work but then I'd need a lanyard to retrieve it and much prefer to go cordless. Shure should make earplugs.

Bike
2002 ST1100
I have been using sunglasses that I get at Harbor Freight (#66822). They are smoked (not polarized) and impact resistant (won't shatter), and only cost $1.79 a pair. I like that because when they start to get scratched up, or I lose them, I just pick up another couple.
I also use a strip of tape on my face shield as a sun block. I have used black electric tape, but I prefer masking tape as it is easier to clean up. The masking tape does not block 100% of the sun, but it still gives you that shadow to look through when the sun in directly in your eyes and you have to squint even with sun glasses. Again, something you can pick up almost anywhere cheap.

I have struggled with hearing protection. I have tried various foam ear plugs, and custom molded ear plugs (from Walmart), but all of them give me a headache after a short time.

Top Bottom