1995 ST1100 Revival

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
This is the first bike that I bought in this condition with plans to put it together.
Valve piston interference killed it at 60,000 miles.
I have a year 2000 motor with 30,000 miles that sat for 9 years. I looked in the ports and what I see looks good. I cranked the motor by hand and it turned like it was running yesterday.
Generally this will be a minimum effort revival to get rideable approach. Then if I’m feeling moved I’ll likely more of a mechanical restoration in the off season.
Tonight I took the Sportster mufflers and the rest of the exhaust off along with the pair system. And that was enough. It will be a few minutes work here and there and the occasional couple hours.239378

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I used to love a challenge such as this. Nice looking, nice running machine brought back from the dead is a testament to mechanical skills.
My biggest was a garage sale bike that was completely...COMPLETELY....disassembled and in boxes. Even the carbs were disassembled. We had a spare bedroom used for storage so I cleaned it out and covered the floor with old bed sheets. Got out the part book for the bike and recreated every exploded view right there on the floor. Took about a year and cost a lot less than I expected.
Two other members are rebuilding ST's, one replacing an engine...no afternoon task for an ST.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
This is the first bike that I bought in this condition with plans to put it together.
Valve piston interference killed it at 60,000 miles.
I have a year 2000 motor with 30,000 miles that sat for 9 years. I looked in the ports and what I see looks good. I cranked the motor by hand and it turned like it was running yesterday.
Generally this will be a minimum effort revival to get rideable approach. Then if I’m feeling moved I’ll likely more of a mechanical restoration in the off season.
Tonight I took the Sportster mufflers and the rest of the exhaust off along with the pair system. And that was enough. It will be a few minutes work here and there and the occasional couple hours.239378
You have your work cut out for you.
Best of luck.
Looking forward to seeing that '95 ST back on the road.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
A noble endeavor! Please keep us poSTed and remember, “We’re pull’n for ya!” “Keep yer stick on the ice.” and “If the women don’t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.” - Red Green

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
sirbike

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Pulling the headless motor out was tight.
Putting the whole motor in was a trick.
I got the lower mounting bolt in and called it a night. Took about 4 hours to transfer alternator doing the Lewis pin method and trapeze the bike over the motor.
Maybe there is an easier way but I got it done by myself.
Phone died before the bolt went in. 239465

OP
OP
sirbike

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Somewhere in between yard work, drilling and plugging shiitake logs, walking our dogs, and taking care of foster mama and pups, I got the bike to the point that it was ready to test fire.
And it fired up!
Only ran it for ten minutes maybe, rode a thousand feet in the dark with no light then time to go to bed.

Attachments

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Congrats. Looks like that ST will be completely road worthy soon.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Somewhere in between yard work, drilling and plugging shiitake logs, walking our dogs, and taking care of foster mama and pups, I got the bike to the point that it was ready to test fire.
And it fired up!
Only ran it for ten minutes maybe, rode a thousand feet in the dark with no light then time to go to bed.
Impressive...wow cranked it out in 3 weeks..Congrats!

Last edited:
Top Bottom