Gl1800 tip over/rear guards on ST1300

Hello All:
Yesterday my st went out from under me on a slow turn and my right foot got jammed between the bike and road. Today I was going to order some tipover bars but because I have a lot of GL1800 parts I decided to see if the 1800 rear guards would work? Lo and behold they bolted on with only having to drill and tap one hole. I'ed post pictures if I knew how but untill then if any one wants a picture, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send a picture or two.
You can pick up 1800 rear guards on e-bay. They are chrome and if they will hold up a wing the ST should be a breeze.
Larry

Re: tip over/rear guards.

Larry emailed me the pics, here they are... look pretty cool.

Attachments

• 02 saddlebags 002.jpg
    02 saddlebags 002.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 537
  • 02 saddlebags 003.jpg
    02 saddlebags 003.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 561
  • 02 saddlebags 004.jpg
    02 saddlebags 004.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 467
  • 02 saddlebags 005.jpg
    02 saddlebags 005.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 476

FYI, these are about $60 each.

Part numbers are:
84140-MCA-000
84130-MCA-000

Hmm, looks like the passenger pegs still have full functionality with even more bar from the tip over to rest their feet on. Cool...

Something to consider. I gently lay my GL on its side to work on the rear wheel or brakes, and while I was told I was crazy by other GL owners, I have bent the stock guards.

YMMV

Damn, just ordered Bydawg's! :eek: Could've given this a try. Looks like the pillion would be able to get some heel on there as well. Where do I get the platform footrest for the pillion? She's starting to complain..again...:(

Sorry, but I'm a bit unfamiliar with the 1300. Which bolt hole did you have to drill and tap? And, does it concern you (or anyone) that the structural integrity of that piece might now be compromised?

The bottom hole is a 15/64 hole threaded for a 7 mm bolt. The cover at this point is only supporting the muffler and is about 1/4 inch thick.
I also noticed a set of these guards on e-bay for 55.00.
Larry

I wonder if these are removed for Trike conversions, might be able to get some sets from those companies as well.

I might not be following you on this when you said you drilled and tapped a hole, couldn't you just leave the OEM hole as is (not changing threads) and just drill the 1800 bracket hole so it will fit and get a longer bolt?

I wonder if these are removed for Trike conversions, might be able to get some sets from those companies as well.

That's where I got mine............ for free!!

I would also be concerned with drilling the cast aluminum.. I like the idea of a support coming off the passenger peg..

mitch

There's Two places close to me that build Trikes. Might be able to get a good price on them. If someone is interested. I can check it out for them.

drilling in to the Alum. would make me nervous . when Aluminum fails it breaks , it does not bend like steel would, Bydawg's tip over bars are backed up by the steel frame behind the Aluminum frame. my :tc1:

Last edited:
drilling in to the Alum. would make me nervous . when Aluminum fails it breaks , it does not bend like steel would, Bydawg's tip over bars are backed up by the steel frame behind the Aluminum frame. my :tc1:

Something to consider. I gently lay my GL on its side to work on the rear wheel or brakes, and while I was told I was crazy by other GL owners, I have bent the stock guards.

YMMV

Based on these observations (makes sense to me), I think I'll stick with bygdawg's bars. I also think the black looks better on the ST than chrome. Remember, chrome won't get you home ;)

Hello All:
Yesterday my st went out from under me on a slow turn and my right foot got jammed between the bike and road. Today I was going to order some tipover bars but because I have a lot of GL1800 parts I decided to see if the 1800 rear guards would work? Lo and behold they bolted on with only having to drill and tap one hole. I'ed post pictures if I knew how but untill then if any one wants a picture, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send a picture or two.
You can pick up 1800 rear guards on e-bay. They are chrome and if they will hold up a wing the ST should be a breeze.
Larry
Hi Larry. I just got a pair of tipover bars on eBay and noticed that the left hand bar was shorter than the right hand bar by about 11mm. The seller says that's normal. Can you tell me if that's correct?

Hi Larry. I just got a pair of tipover bars on eBay and noticed that the left hand bar was shorter than the right hand bar by about 11mm. The seller says that's normal. Can you tell me if that's correct?
Welcome to the forum.

Mine were taken from a brand new GL1800 and are the same so I would say yes.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming Andrew Shadow. That means on the st the shorter one only just clears the panier and the other is well clear. Think I'll try the hose clamp idea to match the original frame bolts idea.

Back
Top Bottom