Back on a bike after 20 years, waited WAY too long

Just picked up an 04 ST1300 in immaculate condition. I've had a Yamaha and Suzuki in the past and have to say, this bike is far superior. The only issue is the LCD screen, which is just difficult to read in almost any lighting conditions. There was a post on here about someone over in the Netherlands who was able to tweak a mod on it that changes the game, but wondering if there is anyone in the US or any new ideas as to how to remedy this seemingly common issue.

v/r

James

Attachments

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Congratulations on the new-to-you ride. You've made a great choice.

Check out Blue Gauges for options on improving the full-light readability of the dashboard instrumentation. I've seen the results and they are impressive.

Based solely on the color in your photo I'm thinking you have a 2003 model- they were a darkish silver, where 2004 was Pearl Coronado Blue (in the U.S. at least). Another possible tell-tale:

if your bike is not ABS equipped, it may well also not have the electrically-adjustable windscreen unless a previous owner added that as an option. In 2003, only the ABS 1300s had the electric windshield; thereafter it was standard whether the bike had ABS or not. If your bike is ABS, then you should also have the electric windshield adjuster and we're no wiser as to the true model year.

The VIN will tell you for certain. See this article, and specifically the "Model Year Encoding" section, for details. If the 10th character in the VIN is a 3, you have a 2003. If it's 4, you have a 2004.

OP
OP
WJHamel
Where's the VIN located?
Congratulations on the new-to-you ride. You've made a great choice.

Check out Blue Gauges for options on improving the full-light readability of the dashboard instrumentation. I've seen the results and they are impressive.

Based solely on the color in your photo I'm thinking you have a 2003 model- they were a darkish silver, where 2004 was Pearl Coronado Blue (in the U.S. at least). Another possible tell-tale:

if your bike is not ABS equipped, it may well also not have the electrically-adjustable windscreen unless a previous owner added that as an option. In 2003, only the ABS 1300s had the electric windshield; thereafter it was standard whether the bike had ABS or not. If your bike is ABS, then you should also have the electric windshield adjuster and we're no wiser as to the true model year.

The VIN will tell you for certain. See this article, and specifically the "Model Year Encoding" section, for details. If the 10th character in the VIN is a 3, you have a 2003. If it's 4, you have a 2004.
$
Well, with "Caveat Emptor" in mind, i'll own this one. The seller had it listed as a 2004, and had i done due diligence, i would have seen that it's on 03 and probably could have knocked him down a couple hundred dollars. On the plus side, the full replacement speedo/panel is way less expensive from what i've found for the 03 vs. the 04. So i may just pick up one from Ebay for $169 if the LCD is working properly.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
All of the LCD panels on stock ST13s are hard to read in sunlight so I see no reason to get a new one from Ebay. I sent my cluster to Blue Gagues and got the red led upgrade for $80 and now I can see it in all lighting conditions. I also see that they have a nice blue and white upgrade for $100.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Welcome from WA STate!! Nice looking 03 ya got there. Is it ABS?
ToddC

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Congratulations. I think I know just how you feel. I sold my Yamaha 750 in 1983 and purchased a year old ST1100 in 2003, a 20 year gap as well.

Would have liked that gap to be much shorter, if one had to exist at all, but there were lots of other things more pressing for my limited resources.

OP
OP
WJHamel
All of the LCD panels on stock ST13s are hard to read in sunlight so I see no reason to get a new one from Ebay. I sent my cluster to Blue Gagues and got the red led upgrade for $80 and now I can see it in all lighting conditions. I also see that they have a nice blue and white upgrade for $100.
$80???? That's nuts. I'm on it. What was the turnaround time?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I believe the issue is worse or better with some helmet visors and/or sunglasses. I never had a problem with Shoei helmets but my HJC did.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ST-Traveler said:
This is not common - first I have heard of it. Mine works fine.
Ehhhh it is common enough though this may be the first you've heard. There are a lot of posts and several threads complaining about the legibility under varying lighting conditions. Blue Gauges is mentioned in them and several members here have used them.

In my own experience the conditions in which the LCD panel is easily read are far fewer than those in which it is not. Dropping the sunshield in my Neo makes it near impossible to read at all.

OP
OP
WJHamel
Ehhhh it is common enough though this may be the first you've heard. There are a lot of posts and several threads complaining about the legibility under varying lighting conditions. Blue Gauges is mentioned in them and several members here have used them.

In my own experience the conditions in which the LCD panel is easily read are far fewer than those in which it is not. Dropping the sunshield in my Neo makes it near impossible to read at all.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
Welcome To the forum!
I also had a hiatus, due to raising family, and returned after the kids started bringing THEIR bikes home.
I just traded my '04 a month or so ago, on an '18 Wing. My wife likes red, so...

Enjoy your time here!
Steve

Bike
2004 ST1300
Welcome back James.
What he said. I believe your model is '03 since the windshield is fixed? I said to myself the same after a 35+ year hiatus. Too long is right! During that time I kept up on renting either visiting family in Vancouver or vacationing in Myrtle Beach at least once a year. Since my license in 1980 I decided to buy a pristeen '01 ST1100 in 2012. I just traded up to nice '04 ABS model. Blue of course and maybe it's just me but I notice a difference between those two models.
Enjoy the ride.
Dave

Top Bottom