Nikwax - what to use?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
What's your experience with Nikwax?

I've read about this and would like to wash and treat my textile MC gear, i.e. jackets and pants. I've been through their site and not sure which to use. Looks like it's either the Hardshell Duopack or most likely the Softshell Duopack. What say you?

Hardshell...
1578668357887.png

Softshell...
1578668373159.png

Hardshell is the one I use, wash following the instructions in the Tech Wash, then again with the TX.Direct wash-in proofing. I do mine in the spring so it looks good for the summer and is ready for the winter.

Tried Nikwax (don't remember which one) several years ago and . . . it wasn't as effective as the Scotchguard I had been using. Went back to Scotchguard and using it once a year ever since. Annual suit wash + 1 can Scotchguard each for the Jacket and Pants = waterproof for another year of riding.

Shuey

I've hand "scrubbed" bugs and really dirty spots with dish soap and water then threw them in the washing machine. Let dry naturally then sprayed them down with Camp Dry and they're clean and waterproof all year.

Hardshell is the one I use, wash following the instructions in the Tech Wash, then again with the TX.Direct wash-in proofing. I do mine in the spring so it looks good for the summer and is ready for the winter.
+1 Ecca, if you check out the washing machine menus you may find it has a proofing cycle hidden somewhere.
Upt'North.

I know nothing about this product. I just thought that I would mention that it is always a good idea to check the washing instructions of the suit that you are planning to wash. I have a Rukka suit and they are very specific about how to wash it to avoid compromising the features that it left the factory with.

I've hand "scrubbed" bugs and really dirty spots with dish soap and water then threw them in the washing machine. Let dry naturally then sprayed them down with Camp Dry and they're clean and waterproof all year.
I do the same, using just the normal washing machine soap and OxiClean. Once dry, I use Kiwi Camp Dry waterproofing spray. It works well and probably costs far less than Nikwax.

Chris

What's your experience with Nikwax?

I've read about this and would like to wash and treat my textile MC gear, i.e. jackets and pants. I've been through their site and not sure which to use. Looks like it's either the Hardshell Duopack or most likely the Softshell Duopack. What say you?

Hardshell...
1578668357887.png

Softshell...
1578668373159.png

Paul, I've used the hardshell with my STich. Never tried the softshell.

I use Revivex on my KLIM gear its what they reccomend

From what I can recall, you need to be careful with what things you use on the "breathable" fabrics like Goretex. I vaguely remember that the spray on waterproofers like ScotchGuard are not good for Goretex because it clogs the pores.

Here is a pretty good site for evaluating products.

I use Revivex on my KLIM gear its what they reccomend
I have used the Nikwax and Revivix Pro Cleaner. The Revivex for me is the better of the two. The Nikwax left a white chalky residue on my gear. The Revivix use had my Stitch looking almost like new.

I’ve used the NikWax products on the Sunbrella canvas goods on my sailboat.
Works exceptionally well in terms of removing accumulated grime and restoring waterproof qualities.
Wash once per year in a BIG front loader at the local laundromat. Just followed instructions on the package.

From what I can recall, you need to be careful with what things you use on the "breathable" fabrics like Goretex. I vaguely remember that the spray on waterproofers like ScotchGuard are not good for Goretex because it clogs the pores.

True enough. This hasn't been a problem for me using Scotchguard though as . . . the Goretex is on the inside and I spray the outside fabric to keep the wet weather out.

I'd surmise that any product that is applied as an additive to a washing in a washing machine would coat everything, both outside and inside.

Shuey

PS: Hadn't heard of Revivex before. Something for me to check out. Thanks for the tips.

I think some are missing the point of modern wash in proofing agents.
I can't comment on other products but in my experience NikWax not only does a damn good job of washing the product but then successfully returns not just the water proof nature of Gortex but also its breathing properties.
Everybody is free to use what they prefer, just as I do, but it seems a little unfair to condemn products that you haven't even tried.
Upt'North.

Last edited:
I'm sold on NikWax direct spray on for my Dainese textile GoreTex 2-piece...
Important is the correct application: remove all protectors, close zippers, wash (either with a NikWax or other Gore approved detergent), no/low RPM spin only, place the dripping stitches in a clothhanger, apply the waterproofing on the still wet outer Cotura fabric (one can literally observe how the remaining water is forced out the textile there), let the garment fully dry, go ride...
Since the threads won't take on water anymore, the membrane underneath keeps fully working while on the road, you're not "dripping wet" upon arrival/check in at the reception, and your riding gear is fully dry again within just a few hours...

I'm sold on NikWax direct spray on for my Dainese textile GoreTex 2-piece...
Important is the correct application: remove all protectors, close zippers, wash (either with a NikWax or other Gore approved detergent), no/low RPM spin only, place the dripping stitches in a clothhanger, apply the waterproofing on the still wet outer Cotura fabric (one can literally observe how the remaining water is forced out the textile there), let the garment fully dry, go ride...
Since the threads won't take on water anymore, the membrane underneath keeps fully working while on the road, you're not "dripping wet" upon arrival/check in at the reception, and your riding gear is fully dry again within just a few hours...
Thanks for the NikWax direct spray tip.
I'll check some out.
A little less soaked on the outer layer would be welcomed. I once formed a small lake in Tebay Services on the M6 when I took my jacket off. I was dry, but there were gallons of good Scottish/English water trapped the other side of the gortex.
Upt'North.

I think some are missing the point of modern wash in proofing agents.
I can't comment on other products but in my experience NikWax not only does a damn good job of washing the product but then successfully returns not just the water proof nature of Gortex but also its breathing properties.
Everybody is free to use what they prefer, just as I do, but it seems a little unfair to condemn products that you haven't even tried.
Upt'North.
IIRC, NikWax literature says it will not harm Goretex.

I've used both the wash in and spray on NixWax products on different Aerostitch suits. Both worked well. Btw, they work even better if you don't ride in the rain.... :rofl1:

I'm pretty sure Areostitch recommends using NikWax on their products. I use it once a year and have always stayed dry in my Darien jacket and pants.

Back
Top Bottom