Carb drain screw location incorrect

OK - I have everything I need to actually drain the carbs...but I cannot for the life of me find a way to get a screwdriver at the screws. In fact, I can't even see the screw port holes in the carbs. I can see them from behind (and see the actual drain nipple), but based on what I see the driver would need to go through the valve cover to actually reach in there. I've seen plenty of pictures of the carbs and the drain screw location, I'm just having a difficult time seeing how it's actually accessed...especially based on everyone else's walkthroughs I've seen.

It's a 1996, not sure if model year matters. Any thoughts on this?

ETA - See post #4, my drains are not in the same location as the manual would suggest.

Last edited:
OK - I have everything I need to actually drain the carbs...but I cannot for the life of me find a way to get a screwdriver at the screws. In fact, I can't even see the screw port holes in the carbs. I can see them from behind (and see the actual drain nipple), but based on what I see the driver would need to go through the valve cover to actually reach in there. I've seen plenty of pictures of the carbs and the drain screw location, I'm just having a difficult time seeing how it's actually accessed...especially based on everyone else's walkthroughs I've seen.

It's a 1996, not sure if model year matters. Any thoughts on this?

So my drain screws are NOT in that location. I've attached a picture showing the driver location for the rear two cylinders. The front two are not accessible without pulling the carbs, I think.

Is it possible to attach the carb assembly 180* backwards? I'm assuming the individual carbs only go together one way...bike has ran great since I got it, I bought it used. This is the first time I've tried draining the carbs, so the first time I've noticed any issues. Any thoughts on this?

20200331_165233.jpg

I've been looking at ST1100 carb assemblies... can the bowl covers be mixed up between the individual carbs? i.e. cover #1 ending up on carb #4, etc.?

All four of my covers are pointing the "wrong" way...instead of pointing in towards the center of the carb assembly they point out, towards the front and rear of the bike.

Right side of picture faces front of bike.
The screws are hard to find even after doing it a few times.
DSCF0002.JPG.DSCF0003.JPG

hard to say for sure with the hoses in the way in Dean's picture, but it does look quite possible that the front/rear bowls can be interchanged and cause the drain screw orientation that the OP is experiencing.

Yeah, that has to be what happened. Looks possible based on pictures. Mine are definitely not pointing the same direction as all the pictures I've seen. I guess pulling the whole thing is in my future.

No no no... Joey/guys, look at the manual page I posted. To access the drain screw on the #4 carb (left rear as seated on the bike) you go through the notch in the top center of the maintenance cover opening, pointing the screwdriver towards the rear of the ST! Look at the lower schematic on the page, the one for the #3 and #4 carbs!!

Your screwdriver is pointed in the correct direction for the #2 carb (left front as seated on the ST), but it has to go through the little rectangular hole in the Pocket Fairing (by your left knee). Again, look at the schematic!

Geeeze guys!, he doesn’t need to pull the carbs!

John

Last edited:
Rethinking :think1:

Are we really thinking the carbs have been previously disassembled and somehow the float bowls swapped front to rear...? Is that even possible??

Guys, in the picture I posted (post 4) the screwdriver is engaged with the rear carb drain screw. Note that it's nowhere near where the manual states it should be. I don't see how that screw can be engaged with the screwdriver in either of the appropriate locations. Something HAS to be different with my carbs.

No no no... Joey/guys, look at the manual page I posted. To access the drain screw on the #4 carb (left rear as seated on the bike) you go through the notch in the top center of the maintenance cover opening, pointing the screwdriver towards the rear of the ST! Look at the lower schematic on the page, the one for the #3 and #4 carbs!!

Your screwdriver is pointed in the correct direction for the #2 carb (left front as seated on the ST), but it has to go through the little rectangular hole in the Pocket Fairing (by your left knee). Again, look at the schematic!

Geeeze guys!, he doesn’t need to pull the carbs!

John
The screwdriver I pictured is currently engaging the rear carb drain screw. If everything on my bike is correct, then why is my screwdriver in that orientation to get the rear drain screw?

Yup they can be reversed. No problem at all.
Well, sounds like that settles it then. Only maintenance records I have do not indicate the carbs being serviced, but someone must've had them off at some point...

I hate that I'm only pulling them because I forgot to put stabil in it.

Back
Top Bottom