ST1300 splines at 300,000 miles TS70 moly!

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I mounted a new rear tire today so I was into the rear end of course. I kind of cleaned up the splines and took a picture. I've used TS70 moly since the first tire change. No affiliation I just think the product has served me well. The ST1300 has 299,550 miles. Also still has the factory installed bearings in the rear wheel.

Your mileage may vary....

300000milesplines.jpg

I mounted a new rear tire today so I was into the rear end of course. I kind of cleaned up the splines and took a picture. I've used TS70 moly since the first tire change. No affiliation I just think the product has served me well. The ST1300 has 299,550 miles. Also still has the factory installed bearings in the rear wheel.

Your mileage may vary....

View attachment 259337
Good work Captain.
Just to help us lesser mortals, I'd love to know.....
How often in miles and months/years do you change tyres?
Do you re apply at each change?
Do you clean the old off at change time?
How do you apply?
How much do you apply?
If you clean the paste off at change time, how do you do it?
Do you change the O rings?
Sorry for all the questions but those splines are like new and your routine seems to be the one to follow rather than the alternative of guessing.
Also riding style would be interesting.
Ta in advance.
Upt'North.

LOL, can't win with Larry. His eye is too sharp and will find anything wrong!
The definitive way to check the flange bearings is to remove the circlip pull out the driven flange, slide out the collar, and check the two bearings by feel. The Honda spec drive flange bearings aren't sealed. Sometimes the outer one which you can see and feel from the outside of the hub passes this check but the inner one is bad. It's usually the inner one that people report needing replacement. Mine was like that and one I helped a fellow with was like that.

QUOTE="Upt' North, post: 2242619, member: 40759"
Good work Captain.
How often in miles and months/years do you change tyres? Never tried a tyre, always had tires :cool:, when they are worn sufficiently. Depends on the tire since I've ran a car tire since 6?,000 miles.
Do you re apply at each change? At least some Yes. On car tires I've even dropped the wheel down from the hub to reapply some before a long vacation trip midlife of the tire. Remember my normal car tire change interval is over 40,000 miles. This spline lube went 46,850.
Do you clean the old off at change time? usually most of it but not always all of it.
How do you apply? With a small brush. Toothbrush yesterday.
How much do you apply? It's pretty much "covered". Maybe a .050" thickness all over the wheel spline. Sometimes dab it on the hub splines. Some under the hub as I remove the entire hub (pull the circlip out) to check bearings individually and the bottom oring.
If you clean the paste off at change time, how do you do it? Gasoline!
Do you change the O rings? Not always, maybe every 80,000.
Sorry for all the questions but those splines are like new and your routine seems to be the one to follow rather than the alternative of guessing. I'm all about guessing.
Also riding style would be interesting. Most of those miles have been with the cruise control set to 82 mph (or higher (really)). Start at daybreak and quit after dark o_O. I rode 1090 or so back from Locstoc in a good long day just last month. Found the data: (1096 miles in 15 hours 17 minutes for an average speed of 71.72)
Ta in advance.
Upt'North.
/QUOTE

The definitive way to check the flange bearings is to remove the circlip pull out the driven flange, slide out the collar, and check the two bearings by feel. The Honda spec drive flange bearings aren't sealed. Sometimes the outer one which you can see and feel from the outside of the hub passes this check but the inner one is bad. It's usually the inner one that people report needing replacement. Mine was like that and one I helped a fellow with was like that.

I replaced the flange bearings once. They were dust bits. The rear wheel bearings are original.

Last edited:
QUOTE="Upt' North, post: 2242619, member: 40759"
Good work Captain.
How often in miles and months/years do you change tyres? Never tried a tyre, always had tires :cool:, when they are worn sufficiently. Depends on the tire since I've ran a car tire since 6?,000 miles.
Do you re apply at each change? At least some Yes. On car tires I've even dropped the wheel down from the hub to reapply some before a long vacation trip midlife of the tire. Remember my normal car tire change interval is over 40,000 miles. This spline lube went 46,850.
Do you clean the old off at change time? usually most of it but not always all of it.
How do you apply? With a small brush. Toothbrush yesterday.
How much do you apply? It's pretty much "covered". Maybe a .050" thickness all over the wheel spline. Sometimes dab it on the hub splines. Some under the hub as I remove the entire hub (pull the circlip out) to check bearings individually and the bottom oring.
If you clean the paste off at change time, how do you do it? Gasoline!
Do you change the O rings? Not always, maybe every 80,000.
Sorry for all the questions but those splines are like new and your routine seems to be the one to follow rather than the alternative of guessing. I'm all about guessing.
Also riding style would be interesting. Most of those miles have been with the cruise control set to 82 mph (or higher (really)). Start at daybreak and quit after dark o_O. I rode 1090 or so back from Locstoc in a good long day just last month. Found the data: (1096 miles in 15 hours 17 minutes for an average speed of 71.72)
Ta in advance.
Upt'North.
/QUOTE

I replaced the flange bearings once. They were dust bits. The rear wheel bearings are original.
Thanks for that Captain.
Upt'North.

That's often the case with the flange bearings. The bearings are needed of course, I guess, but when they go bad they don't seem to make noise or give overt indication of it but pull the flange out, turn it over and bits of bearing come into view. I guess this is because the driven spline is supported and held in alignment by the axle, the driving spline in the pumpkin, and the way the flange fits in the cush drive biscuits. The bearings are just in case a severe torsional load comes onto the spline.

Way to go on the mileage! I know you put in big days .......... twice in the last couple of months I've ridden 700 - 800 miles to move a tag and the next day or so you run out and move it again :biggrin:

I changed out these two bearings last week. One was rough,, and the other was smooth. I chose to go with sealed both sides and lubed replacements. The wheel was turning fine before I went in to replace the cushion drive pucks. All is running smooth a week later,, with a subtle but noticeable improvement.
cheers,, CAt'

Back
Top Bottom