Interesting New Technology coming

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Interesting - Would you buy this? I'm not one for overcomplicating things but this could be somethings to consider. No prices yet.

Cant say I would be interested. When I ride, my senses are fairly heightened and I cant see this making me aware of something that I dont already see. Also, when There is a threat, the blinking light would temporarily distract one, for a split second, when attention is needed elsewhere. I would be interested to hear others reactions or thoughts, but for me, I dont see the merit... YMMV

I'm thinking the same thing. I have habits learned out of many years and miles of riding. It would take more effort to use this device, than to do what I always do.

It's like shifting without using the clutch. I can do it. It's not that hard to do, and would actually have benefits since my clutch lever is pretty stiff. But it takes more thinking about what I'm doing than to simply use the clutch without thinking. This Ride Vision product would be the same way.

And the habits I have ingrained in my riding practices, are carried over to when I'm driving the car. My daughter has actually commented about how good I am in checking my blind spots when changing lanes in the car.

I'll pass.

Chris

It looks like a fancy camera system with a few things added. Blind spot monitors aren't as necessary as say in a vehicle where you have pillars blocking your view; all we need to do us turn our heads to get unobstructed information. And I'd say if you're approaching a vehicle as fast as the video 'demonstrated,' you're probably either going too fast for traffic or aren't scanning several vehicles ahead to get an idea of what the traffic around you is going to do in a few seconds, ie slowing or stopping, which is something I also try to do when driving a vehicle. Leaving a safety space is probably the most important thing I try to always do/have, in front, to the sides, and behind. Sometimes it's possible, others it is not, and when it's not I don't see flashing lights being able to tell me something I likely am already aware of.

Reactions: Djc
Another answer to a problem that doesn't really exist. I have experienced this system in a car, or something similar, and it did work well for use of the cruise control ( slows it down when you get too close to the car in front of you). However, it was a bit invasive, and frankly, did not always work.

I'll stick to head checks, mirrors, and the good ol' Mark One Eyeball.

Main reason I ride bikes is to 'lose myself' in the experience. The level of alertness necessary to avoid the embarrassment of a bent bike can only be attained through attention to dynamic details and leaving the electronic toys alone. Bikes simply reflect my own personal understanding of life.....another exciting adventure or a smoking hole in the ground.

No thanks--I'd likely turn it off or would quickly ignore it. Us old farts are experienced in an era without such systems--we value the attention and focus here and now. The next generations may not be that way (either attention or focus), and so they may be more accepting or even expecting to have such electronics onboard.

I think the only time that such electronics "keeps you aware of critical threats in real time" or "get extra seconds to react and avoid danger" is beneficial is if you're not mentally present, not paying attention already. In that case, you shouldn't be riding or won't for long, nor should you be driving a cage! But we all know that not paying attention is too common among cage drivers.

Perhaps, if the system is very good and not prone to false warnings or incessant warnings (ingored), there can be a legitimate moment (a very rare moment) for each rider where the system would alert, giving notice of a threat that had gone un-noticed by even a careful rider. No doubt we've each had a moment of lapse where we simply did not see or recognize a danger. But I doubt any system will be that capable.

Would this new miracle device alert you to the deer lurking unseen in the brush, waiting to bound into the road just as you draw abreast?
Would it anticipate the oncoming car turning left across your path 25 feet before you get to it?
Would it somehow detect the distracted driver behind you, paying more attention to their latest Instagram post than to where they are going, as they drive into your tailpipe?
How about that invisible sheen of oil on top of a paint stripe on a wet curve?
That stray chunk of 4x4 that fell off a truck and is now lurking in the travel lane?
The idiot next to you who changes lanes without so much as a glance in your direction?

Those are the threats I worry about, and no camera system will mitigate them no matter how sophisticated the processing algorithm and alert system.

Interesting - Would you buy this? I'm not one for overcomplicating things but this could be somethings to consider. No prices yet.

Seem to me this stuff will work great for a horse riders. Horse doesn't have Kill switch, Gear shifter and brakes. :biggrin:

I'm not going to be so hard on this system, they are trying to make things safer for us. What I found interesting is the "blind spot" warning only illuminated when the bike was being passed, not the other way 'round. Additionally, the "distance keeping alert" isn't a bad idea. We all do our best to stay as alert as possible, but glancing down at a GPS, etc. for a moment does take eyes off the road. A flashing light may help there. I'd also like to see a flashing light when someone is way too close behind me, or it automatically flash brakelights at the idiots.

All that said, the ST1100, in my experience doesn't really have blind spot, if its not in the mirrors, a very slight glance to either side takes care of it. I'll also admit to being surprised a few times with a car appearing "out of nowhere" next to me, when I do head check. This has happened when I'm very focused on traffic in front of me, or picking my way to the next exit when riding to a new place. The "blind spot" lights would take care of that.

Would I buy it? Probably not. But its not a bad idea.

RT

Would this new miracle device alert you to the deer lurking unseen in the brush, waiting to bound into the road just as you draw abreast?
Would it anticipate the oncoming car turning left across your path 25 feet before you get to it?
Would it somehow detect the distracted driver behind you, paying more attention to their latest Instagram post than to where they are going, as they drive into your tailpipe?
That stray chunk of 4x4 that fell off a truck and is now lurking in the travel lane?
The idiot next to you who changes lanes without so much as a glance in your direction?

Those are the threats I worry about, and no camera system will mitigate them no matter how sophisticated the processing algorithm and alert system.

They're working on it... it's called PAS (prescient alert system). In the meantime the best we can do is to stay alert ourselves.

Speaking of staying alert... even self-driving vehicles lack something that all humans have (even if they don't use it). I call it empathetic cognition. That is, an innate understanding of how other motorists think and being able to predict their behavior based on their prior behavior and/or circumstances. Self-driving vehicles only respond to conditions as they arise.

The roads are full of inattentive cage drivers who would benefit from these systems. Heck, it can be argued that these systems helped make many inattentive and lazy. I have heard one person claim that when they change lanes in their car, they dont look in the mirror to see whats behind, they just look for the little light in the corner of the mirror to tell them it is "safe" to change lanes... un-frickin- beleivable. As bikers, being vulnerable, most off us are as alert and quick as these systems

They're working on it... it's called PAS (prescient alert system). In the meantime the best we can do is to stay alert ourselves.

Speaking of staying alert... even self-driving vehicles lack something that all humans have (even if they don't use it). I call it empathetic cognition. That is, an innate understanding of how other motorists think and being able to predict their behavior based on their prior behavior and/or circumstances. Self-driving vehicles only respond to conditions as they arise.

Not entirely. The self driving algorithms are being tuned, and will be tuned, to be predictive. Is a vehicle (with driver) speeding up and slowing down repeatedly? Any erratic movements? The self driving system will account for that. Additionally, once these systems are networked, the vehicles will share that data, so they all will know. Eventually, we will all be required to have a "transponder" on our vehicles, so that autonomous vehicles "see" us. The autonomous vehicles will know where accidents are, slow downs in the traffic, etc. and re-route accordingly. That's what Waze technology is all about, and how it works. Its coming, like it or not.

RT

... once these systems are networked, the vehicles will share that data, so they all will know.

RT

That will be transformative and, IMO, the key to the broad success of self-driving vehicles.

I'm all for technological progress, but I don't think self-driving cars are quite ready for prime time... eventually, they will be.

Says it could be used to lower insurance rates.
I say it could also be used to increase rates!!!
No thanks to big brother.

I just recently bought my wife a new Volvo that has all the latest safety electronic systems. It actually does monitor animals or people coming into your driving path and will brake and steer accordingly. It has already saved me from hitting a car that pulled out of a hidden driveway right into my path. I could not of reacted fast enough to prevent hitting that car but it certainly did. It even cinched the seatbelt down tight against me as it was braking. Not saying this system could do that but maybe sometime in the near future.

I think that on a bike a blinking light would not do it. In a car, the discreet beep (if different than your phone alerts) might work, but a driver looking at a text screen is not going to see a blinking light any more than a biker checking his gps or looking rearward.

I just recently bought my wife a new Volvo that has all the latest safety electronic systems.... It even cinched the seatbelt down tight against me as it was braking.
Good that it was adjusted properly, else you might be talking with a falsetto.

Safety systems are great when used properly! That means look. even your cars back up camera has a note on it to still turn around and look.

Back
Top Bottom