Down Sizing is Complete

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
As some of you may know my wife and I are full-time RV'ers and haul our bikes with us. Since we don't do long hauls anymore and I am getting closer to 70 I decided the time was right to down size my bike. My wife has a F700GS and I am happy with that size bike. So my choices for me came down to a F700GS a 2016 or newer or a Gen 3 V-strom 650.XT Adventure. So based on price and availability I got a 2020 V-Strom 650 XT Adventure with 1500 miles on the clock. Had a good price and was much easier to find that a F700GS. What a great midsize bike.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 5.30.33 PM.png

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Congrats, great/fun bike! I still very much enjoy my 2007 v-strom 650. I consistently fight the urge to upgrade it. I do like the looks of the current generation!

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Beautiful motorcycle! The only thing I'm not a fan of is spoke rims. I am OCD about keeping my bikes clean and those are so labor intensive. I understand they do it for strength but there has to be alternatives, correct?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Actually, the spoked rims for off-road bikes (or at least for bikes that may go off-road) are to give a measure of flexibility that cast wheels don't have.

If you took a bike with cast wheels off-road, something would break (either a suspension part, a tire or the wheel itself).

Last edited:
Bike
2012 ST1300A
Actually, the spoked rims for off-road bikes (or at least for bikes that may go off-road) are to give a measure of flexibility that cast wheels don't have. If you took a bike with cast wheels off-road, something would break (either a suspension part, a tire or the wheel itself).
That makes sense. Do they need a lot of maintenance today to keep them true?

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Congrats on the new bike Brad! It looks great. I liked my 06 (son totaled it) and will be looking for a light run around bike sometime in the near future. DL 650 and CB500X are on the list to check out.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
My yellow BumbleWee was one of my all time favorite bikes. Would probably still have it, but it did not have ABS and I had a bit of a pucker moment one ride. Enjoy!

Greg

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
That makes sense. Do they need a lot of maintenance today to keep them true?
I guess that depends on how high you jump and how hard you hit.....

This is not, in any way intended as a criticism of the OP's new bike (which does look great BTW) but while I'd say that a little gravel riding can be fun if the bike is suitable, the thought of real off-roading on an 80 HP motorcycle that weighs 500 lbs seems to me to be a recipe for a coronary in the middle of nowhere.:eek:

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Do they need a lot of maintenance today to keep them true?

The VFR1200X I just got rid of had 33k miles and never needed to true the wheels. Keeping them clean is kind of a PIA but a good bottle brush works well. I am anxious to see how it goes off road. My wife's F700GS has almost the same specs for weight and HP does rea well off road. For those of you familiar with the Prescott AZ area I did Senator Hwy a couple of weeks ago on the F700GS and it just walked through everything the road had to offer. I am hoping the same for the Wee.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

This is not, in any way intended as a criticism of the OP's new bike (which does look great BTW) but while I'd say that a little gravel riding can be fun if the bike is suitable, the thought of real off-roading on an 80 HP motorcycle that weighs 500 lbs seems to me to be a recipe for a coronary in the middle of nowhere.:eek:

Properly out fitted the Wee can take you to some great places.

SAM_0066.JPG

SAM_0067.JPG

SAM_0068.JPG

SAM_4068.JPG

SAM_4694.JPG

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Properly out fitted the Wee can take you to some great places.

SAM_0066.JPG

SAM_0067.JPG

SAM_0068.JPG

SAM_4068.JPG

SAM_4694.JPG
That is pretty cool - but I have to ask...would you REALLY ride down that snowy path?

I'm Canadian and so crappy winter weather and slippery roads are not a big deal to me, but taking a large motorcycle on a snowy road, especially one with hills and curves, simply does not sound like a fun idea.

Bike
2012 ST1300A

I see some of the experts who ride adventure bikes regularly recommend soft bags. I guess it is a given you are going to dump your bike from time to time depending one what off road conditions you ride in and those metal saddlebags are known for breaking ankles. That would be a bummer for me as I ride mostly alone.

Top Bottom