Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'll update this post as people provide info. But, I wanted to put a
table of the tire choices currently available as replacements for the STANDARD
tire on the ST1300. The Front/Rear columns will be the tire model
designators IF that brand supplies one for the front and/or rear.

*** Warning, there are an unusual number of tire failures reported on this site
associated with this model. They are listed as a proper fitment but are
not recommended.​

Last edited:

not recommended.​
Hello Mellow, I'm a priod new owner of a 2006 ST. I usually ride solo. As a friend of mine is a seasoned rider/racer; he has suggested that I could drop the pressure from 42psi to maybe 34 front and 36 rear. What are your thoughts in regards to this idea.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hello Mellow, I'm a priod new owner of a 2006 ST. I usually ride solo. As a friend of mine is a seasoned rider/racer; he has suggested that I could drop the pressure from 42psi to maybe 34 front and 36 rear. What are your thoughts in regards to this idea.
When I had my STs I always used 42/42 no matter what tires I ran ... so I can't help with that.

not recommended.​
Hello again Mellow; Bad news ...as I had suggested that I recently purchased a 2006 ST . The dealer had set the bike up with new rubber. And the brand just so happens to be the Dunlop Roadsmart. How concerned should I be?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hello again Mellow; Bad news ...as I had suggested that I recently purchased a 2006 ST . The dealer had set the bike up with new rubber. And the brand just so happens to be the Dunlop Roadsmart. How concerned should I be?
It seems they have fixed the previous issues and we haven't seen any problems with them recently so I think you are good.

It seems they have fixed the previous issues and we haven't seen any problems with them recently so I think you are good.
Thank you for your reply. How do you feel about dropping the cold tire pressure . I ride solo and probably more sport than touring.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Years ago I used to run lower pressures in the 34-36F and 36-38R range depending on what I was doing with the bike - sport riding on a Saturday or loading up and taking a trip somewhere for a few days to week. I did a couple of track days early on in my ownership and those lower pressures is what the tire guy at the track recommended. I always rode the ST1300 solo and I'm 165-170 lbs in riding gear.

Thing is that over time this heavy somewhat powerful bike will eat up tires and lower pressures accelerate wear and encourage odd lumpy wear patterns with dual compound sport touring tires. I upped the pressures about 4 psi for a while then finally went to the Honda recommended 42/42 or at least 40/42. There was no upside for me running lower pressures.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
As a friend of mine is a seasoned rider/racer; he has suggested that I could drop the pressure from 42psi to maybe 34 front and 36 rear.
Different riders tend to have different opinions on air pressure based on variables important to each of those riders. Air pressure directly affects the profile of the tire which affects handling characteristics within the limitations of the tire as well the aforementioned variables.

First you should probably have your rider/racer friend explain why he thinks you and your ST should run his recommended pressures - pros and con.

Second if you try his recommendations see if you can feel the pros he states and avoid the cons.

I'm not an aggressive rider by any stretch (short of WOT on US 395 for a few) so I run 42/42 measured cold and in any brand of tire. This ignores any advantages or disadvantages that might be found moving from tire to tire. But I'm ok with that. 42/42 helps me get the ST on the center stand. With a full tank it ain't easy bein' me. When the pressure drops to maybe 40 or below turning feels sluggish to me. I'm no racer.

Try 42/42 or 34/36 for several hours in the saddle and then switch to the other. Try to note any changes in performance. Quicker/slower turn it? Quicker/slower transition from left to right to left to (you get the idea). Better or worse braking? Plowing or not in an aggressive turn? There are other very competent riders here who can give you better information on what to look for based on your riding style.

Unlike me once you find a satisfactory tire pressure scheme note that it may change if/when you change your brand or model of tire. And no- I have no recommendations on tires. Good luck with your quest.

[Or consider the post above mine instead]

Different riders tend to have different opinions on air pressure based on variables important to each of those riders. Air pressure directly affects the profile of the tire which affects handling characteristics within the limitations of the tire as well the aforementioned variables.

First you should probably have your rider/racer friend explain why he thinks you and your ST should run his recommended pressures - pros and con.

Second if you try his recommendations see if you can feel the pros he states and avoid the cons.

I'm not an aggressive rider by any stretch (short of WOT on US 395 for a few) so I run 42/42 measured cold and in any brand of tire. This ignores any advantages or disadvantages that might be found moving from tire to tire. But I'm ok with that. 42/42 helps me get the ST on the center stand. With a full tank it ain't easy bein' me. When the pressure drops to maybe 40 or below turning feels sluggish to me. I'm no racer.

Try 42/42 or 34/36 for several hours in the saddle and then switch to the other. Try to note any changes in performance. Quicker/slower turn it? Quicker/slower transition from left to right to left to (you get the idea). Better or worse braking? Plowing or not in an aggressive turn? There are other very competent riders here who can give you better information on what to look for based on your riding style.

Unlike me once you find a satisfactory tire pressure scheme note that it may change if/when you change your brand or model of tire. And no- I have no recommendations on tires. Good luck with your quest.

[Or consider the post above mine instead]
Really appreciate your input ST GUI

Years ago I used to run lower pressures in the 34-36F and 36-38R range depending on what I was doing with the bike - sport riding on a Saturday or loading up and taking a trip somewhere for a few days to week. I did a couple of track days early on in my ownership and those lower pressures is what the tire guy at the track recommended. I always rode the ST1300 solo and I'm 165-170 lbs in riding gear.

Thing is that over time this heavy somewhat powerful bike will eat up tires and lower pressures accelerate wear and encourage odd lumpy wear patterns with dual compound sport touring tires. I upped the pressures about 4 psi for a while then finally went to the Honda recommended 42/42 or at least 40/42. There was no upside for me running lower pressures.
Thanks for the support dduelin

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Check your tire pressure before you ride the bike and record it. Go for a "spirited ride" them check them with the same gauge again. The difference should be 10%. Any more the pressure is too low. Any less it's too high. That's what Lee Parks recommends in his book Total Control. I just air them both up to 42 lbs. :rolleyes:

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I would disregard that errant advice.
The handling would be terrible and tire wear would be a problem.
The accumulated wisdom of this forum recommend 42/42.
That's what I ride and suggest you do the same.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Like others here, I run 42/42. The only time I think it would make sense to run the pressure as low as 34/36 would be for a track day since the tires heat up so much.

Like others here, I run 42/42. The only time I think it would make sense to run the pressure as low as 34/36 would be for a track day since the tires heat up so much.
Well said. And I'm am not that aggressive. I just want all the advantages that i can get. So 42 it is.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
A bit of threadromancy but I'm reading up on tires.

You run lower pressure on the track to obtain greater tire deformation for the purpose of obtaining greater adhesion to the road. A byproduct of deformation is heat. That is, you run lower pressure which generates more heat, not because of the heat. A tire intended for track use is also designed to operate in that temperature range. So heat is one way you get better adhesion: by bringing your tire into it's intended operating range. The other is greater deformation in the carcass generally means larger contact patch.

Dunlop Tires Roadsmart II Sport Touring Rear Tire, 180/55ZR17

Is it okay to use the above or stick to OEM size of 17/60/17 for a 2005 ST13

I have a 2004 ST1300. I have the Dunlops on my bike. I have scraped the pegs lots on the track. I wish that i could raise them a bit. Thats another article. The Dunlop rep at the track had no issues with me running the lower pressures 34 frt, 36 rear on the track. I run that same pressure on the road aswell. I ride the Sea to sky ( Vancouver to Squamish) regularly and spiritedly. No issues. I have actually had better ,more security on those rides, that can see some moisture on the road surface in comparison to my friend on his lighter Suzuki 750 track bike. The only thing that i have to be attentive to is the initial 2-3km of riding first thing in the morning.

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
I installed some new Battlax T32GT tires on the ST1300 today. And here is a record of the tires I've put on it since I bought the bike in 2015.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT. -(installed 2015) 6843 miles
Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT. -(installed 2017). 6281 miles
Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 3. -(installed 2018). 9664 miles
Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 3. -(installed 2019). 9956 mies
Bridgestone Battlax T32 GT. (installed 2021). miles TBD

Top Bottom