Compact air pump advice

Guys, He is in Russia. So, all the pumps everyone is showing more than likely are not available there. But, he is getting the idea! Stick with a 12volt pump.

CO2 cartridge has enough oomph to set the bead on a tire any tankless compressor would struggle with that so if you see that as a need a co2 cartridge might be worthwhile.

I have carried my battery powered compressor for two riding seasons, while not needing it for my own bike it has helped 3 or 4 riders and one car driver plus I use it at home to top up the tires on our cars, bike and lawn tractor. It has a nice compact form factor about the length of a manual bicycle pump with twice the diameter. The convenience it offers makes it my first choice, you set the desired pressure on the pump, connect it to the tire valve, turn it on and when set pressure is reached it turns off. I charged it in May and it was still pumping strong last weekend. Will it ever fail? I am sure it will but so far I am happy with it.

A bit of a tip for those who have not had the "pleasure" of repairing a flat on the side of the road.....
If it is the rear tire (and most flats are) and you are going to plug it, DO NOT have the bike on the center stand. The reaming out of the puncture with the rasp can take quite a bit of effort and you can push your bike off the center stand. DAMHIKT!!

thanks very much for ideas) I definitely abandoned idea to buy CO2 cartridge pump and think I'd better stick to idea to get Li battery powered pump. The reason is, that I commute in the city most of the time and I could use this pump at home for bicycles and electric scooter, and take it sometimes along to out-of-city trips. Sure I will check charge while preparing to the trip. In a case if a have battery flat, I could charge it via USB socket, of course it will take some time. And also I could use that pump as a power bank too.

As it was wisely advised, i'll throw away old tyre repairing kit and buy new one in the beginning of new riding season. )

I have used a product called a Stop-N-Go air compressor for many years, and I am quite satisfied with it. It takes a while - about 15 minutes - to inflate a tire from flat, but it works well. The kit includes plugs, etc. - be aware that the plugs will perish after a few years, so you will need to replace them with gummy strings, etc.

The link I provided will take you to the Canadian site with Canadian prices - just click around a bit if you are in the USA to see the American site.

Michael

Finally, I've got my new air pump. It's way much smaller than regular car air pump, and doesn't require wires when using it. Tested it with my electric scooter, it pumps almost twice slower, but I think it's good compromise for compact size and convenience of usageIMG_20211113_144111.jpg. Brilliant thing) just need to buy quick release adapter maybe.

Finally, I've got my new air pump.
Wow that's tiny. The question of any air pump (even tiny ones bigger than yours) is reliability. I hope that lasts a long time.

The quick release chucks don't really appeal to me. Some are incredibly stiff to operate with a squared edge on the lever. I've found just over filling a tire by a pound or two allows me to unscrew the connecter without losing more than a half to one pound of air. As I'm not a Track Gui a pound more or less (if that much) isn't a big deal.

I admit if the hose is stiff then getting the valve started in cramped quarters can be more fun than I like. But once it's on — it's on! :D

Wow that's tiny. The question of any air pump (even tiny ones bigger than yours) is reliability. I hope that lasts a long time.

The quick release chucks don't really appeal to me. Some are incredibly stiff to operate with a squared edge on the lever. I've found just over filling a tire by a pound or two allows me to unscrew the connecter without losing more than a half to one pound of air. As I'm not a Track Gui a pound more or less (if that much) isn't a big deal.

I admit if the hose is stiff then getting the valve started in cramped quarters can be more fun than I like. But once it's on — it's on! :D
I have a Baseus|InAuto inflater my friend found on a Ural sight very nice for sale on amazon lithium battery screw on hose that looses no air upon removal real deal

I have a Baseus|InAuto inflater
that thing i've got is Baseus too) feels sturdy and solid, has a metal casing. Checked pressure indicator too, no big difference from the measurements of the car inflator.
Decided not to bother with quick release hose, hope I will not use it very often)

CO2 is a one shot deal but a compressor works as long as 12 volt is available. If space is tight you can remove the air pump from the plastic case to minimize it's size. You might have to fabricate a protective cover or guard over the electric motor's gear wheel for safety and so it can be held or laid on the ground. I took a piece of plastic from a large pill bottle and used it to cover the gear wheel and pump cylinder. The pump cylinder gets hot but can be held by the plastic cover zip tied to the pump. This pump is 9 years old and has been used many times on the road. Once it set the bead on my ST1300's rear wheel. It started life as a Slime pump in a plastic case.

My BMW has a perfect space under the luggage rack for a pump and tools but it wouldn't fit everything if the pump was in the original case. I pack the pump and power cord wrapped in a cloth then place it in a padded plastic bag. The ST has a similar space in the tail section.

View attachment 283726

View attachment 283727
Exactly what I have used , for years. saved my butt more times than I can remember. The only failure I have had with these is the plastic lever on the valve fitting broke on me in the middle of Durango, CO. Luckily, there was an air station nearby.

I have a Baseus|InAuto inflater my friend found on a Ural sight very nice for sale on amazon lithium battery screw on hose that looses no air upon removal real deal
that thing i've got is Baseus too) feels sturdy and solid, has a metal casing. Checked pressure indicator too, no big difference from the measurements of the car inflator.
Decided not to bother with quick release hose, hope I will not use it very often)
I just looked at the Baseus Inflator and it looks to be a great little unit. I'll take a no-loss screw On/Off valve over quick release any day. I've had a problem with a couple quick release valves in the cramped confines of the rim-rotor continuum. This Baseus is pretty reasonably priced as well. Thanks for its mention.

Something like this, with a hand full of the CO2 cartridges (they come in different sizes). No electricity needed, and minimal chance of failure (like blown fuses and such).
You can find charts for recommended # of cartridges for various tire and cartridge sizes.
Wear gloves when using, cause the bottle will get REALLY cold during discharge.

iu

Something like this, with a hand full of the CO2 cartridges (they come in different sizes). No electricity needed, and minimal chance of failure (like blown fuses and such).
You can find charts for recommended # of cartridges for various tire and cartridge sizes.
Wear gloves when using, cause the bottle will get REALLY cold during discharge.

iu
And you'll have a much better chance at re-sealing the bead than with a slow filling pump motor.
On a dirt bike, these are good for about 16 psi per cartridge, and like cajunrider pointed out, you won't blow a fuse and/or damaged battery tender wire etc.
Carry both.

Something like this, with a hand full of the CO2 cartridges
I raised this question with exactly this idea in mind. But I was told that Co2 inflator will be not very practical for pumping relatively big ST tire.
Anyway, I've got very small battery powered pump and I hope it will do what it supposed to do)

I raised this question with exactly this idea in mind. But I was told that Co2 inflator will be not very practical for pumping relatively big ST tire.
Anyway, I've got very small battery powered pump and I hope it will do what it supposed to do)
2 CO2 cartridges will fill the rear tire enough to get you to the next gas station. The big advantage is that each cartridge will empty into the tire with explosive force which will seat the tire bead which is almost impossible with 12 V compressor. 2 cartridges take up no room and may save your butt one day.

I gotta get a newer better phone, I can't do these monster __ ones though, a phone is supposed to be small, and I really don't want to drive around with a bee bee gun cartridge either, whatever happened to simple; I bought a 6 speed manual wrangler to get away but now my hill start assist algorithm doesnt know what my drive by wire is thinking, hey, I just want
go up the hill there, isnt there a good compact manual pump around? And, is there a more appropriate reamer / plug kit for skinny bike tires?

I thought it was too! But, when the battery wears out it wont hold a charge, as i discovered last tour. Without a doubt, i was one pissed off guy when it took me half an hour to check my tires, because I had to keep recharging it. It is heavy too!
So, while on tour, I bought a cig lighter thingy and a slime pump, which is a lot lighter and relies on the battery on the bike. I put the lighter socket in the left hand pocket. I now charge everything off that lighter thing.

Back
Top Bottom