Going to look at an ST1100, need honest opinions

I've been keeping a look out for an ST1100 to replace my 83 Goldwing Interstate and one with about 87k miles on the OD has showed up about an hours drive from me. My primary question is in regards to parts availability. So far the only thing wrong with the ST is a broken left mirror and after doing a quick search on ebay I was stunned that only a hand full showed up, the rest of the page was aftermarket mirrors that I'm not sure would work. I already have issues with my 83 GL in regards to parts availability but I'm getting a sinking feeling I may be jumping into an even deeper rabbit hole with an ST1100. I'm going to see if I can schedule a time to take a good close look at it today but in the meantime I'd appreciate your thoughts on my parts availability concern.

Bodywork for ST1100s - especially mirrors and mirror covers - can be extremely hard to locate.
I've been waiting on 2 right wineberry covers from Honda (about the only color besides white) they still offer.
That's why I have 4 parts ST1100s to go along with my 4 running ST1100s. :biggrin:
The rest of the bike is pretty bullet proof and seldom needs much besides fluid changes, tire changes, and brake pad replacements.

The good thing is, almost all the plastic is interchangeable for all model years. Yes there are exceptions. The front fender on ABSII models (1996-2002) is a two piece unit, and there are cosmetic changes to the side panels after 1994
The 1990-1995 models came with an oil cooled 28 amp alternator, with age they are beginning to fail and you would have to upgrade to the 40 amp unit. Upgrading will require some mechanical ability and time and parts are limited.
Mirror covers are scarce, experience in doing puzzles and glueing are an asset in the ownership of ST1100s with regards to these covers.

The design is around 30 years old and they haven't been made for approximately 20 years.
I think you know what to expect. Hours and hours of ebay searches.
Buy a 96 or later and decide if you want to keep an ageing ABS bike going or not.
Upt'North.

The design is around 30 years old and they haven't been made for approximately 20 years.
Yeah, but they don't build them (or anything for that matter) like this anymore...

besides eBay I found

and

highly reliable...

Ah, but what a design! :biggrin:
I couldn't agree more UP, but many, just like your good self are stocking up in a big way for the inevitable, when everything is made of unobtainium. I've tried to keep a CB750 sohc way past its sell by in the past and it just becomes a chore, especially if you like OEM.
But, all chores aren't bad and I wouldn't put anyone off enjoying a ST11. You just have to go into it with your eyes open.
Upt'North.

I couldn't agree more UP, but many, just like your good self are stocking up in a big way for the inevitable, when everything is made of unobtainium. I've tried to keep a CB750 sohc way past its sell by in the past and it just becomes a chore, especially if you like OEM.
But, all chores aren't bad and I wouldn't put anyone off enjoying a ST11. You just have to go into it with your eyes open.
Upt'North.
And the sad beauty of it is you can often buy a complete ST1100 for less than some parts cost new if you could get them.
A classic example is the ABSII brain - which if you could get it - would cost north of $1,000 USD.
And what's the price of a swingarm in good condition?
But you do have to have the luxury of storage space! :biggrin:

And the sad beauty of it is you can often buy a complete ST1100 for less than some parts cost new if you could get them.
A classic example is the ABSII brain - which if you could get it - would cost north of $1,000 USD.
And what's the price of a swingarm in good condition?
But you do have to have the luxury of storage space! :biggrin:
Yes and that's the point Unc, I've got an as new swingarm and seat amongst other things just sitting wrapped on the shelf. It's what we do. But the world's definitely changed.
Upt'North.

Best bike on the planet. Thats what I was telling myself as I got home from my 850 miles ride coming home from Johns( Nashcats ride to eat) I'd buy it if It's in good shape and the price was reasonable. I like the 96 and up model year with the alt upgrade. I'm going to test the parts availability as I need a new head light bulb and will be getting it from the Honda dealer tomorrow when they open. And oh yes I will be prepared for the sticker shock as the last one 10 years ago was $28.00 US dollars.

Ive done around 45,000 on my 11 over the past two years and i occasionally blow a blinker fuse when i hit a bump. Thats it. The plastic is really hard to get tho. A great bike to own and tour on.
Also, i run 85-87 octane without a problem.
Like everyone says, go 1996 or newer.

I have to agree with everything that's been said about the ST1100. I've had 4 big road bikes, and this is my favorite, even though it's one of the oldest I've owned except for my '80 XS1100. I always wondered if XS was like tongue in cheek for "Excess" LOL. The ST1100's are famously dependable, but they are between 25 and 30 years old. I've ridden mine from Tuscon, AZ to Prince George, BC and everywhere in between. It has never left me stranded, except for once when something gouged a 3/4 inch hole in the rear tire that I couldn't plug, but that wasn't the bike's fault. But it has not been maintenance free. Almost nothing is. Some parts are not available from Honda anymore, like the 40 amp alternator plate. I still have nightmares about trying to locate one of those when my 28 amp alternator went south. I love my ST. Ridden lots of other bikes, and so far haven't found anything I like better.

Martin - A hoarder? Not to the feller that has 4 ST1100 'parts' bikes .... :run1:
My understanding was that all 4 ST's in your possession are fully operable...
So are my 2 (the 3rd one was sold...), but I've collected a stock on parts over the years, and pull the trigger on any bargain I can get hold off :cool:
Saving for a rainy day and that...

I'm going to test the parts availability as I need a new head light bulb and will be getting it from the Honda dealer tomorrow when they open. And oh yes I will be prepared for the sticker shock as the last one 10 years ago was $28.00 US dollars.

Why haven't you bought the H4 bulb adapters and just fitted standard 55/60W H4 bulbs in there? Cheaper than Honda's proprietary 45/45W bulbs too.

My understanding was that all 4 ST's in your possession are fully operable...
So are my 2 (the 3rd one was sold...), but I've collected a stock on parts over the years, and pull the trigger on any bargain I can get hold off :cool:
Saving for a rainy day and that...
Martin - I actually own 8 complete ST1100s in total -
4 daily runners
4 parts bikes

Plus about 60+ feet of additional ST1100 parts stored in my garage attic.
I have the 4 parts bikes under their own full covers and parked in the car port. :biggrin:
In my collection, I have two ST1100 complete engines with less that 60,000 miles on them.
So I figure I should be able to keep my ST1100s running until I can't run myself! ;)

Back
Top Bottom