Trailer Ideas

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
FYI there are (at least) 2 styles of manufactured hitches.
And the Unigo, which is attached by the large mounting bolts that hold the step plates to the frame, as well as to the muffler mounting points, and the upper mounting point is where the the pannier's mounts bolt to the frame.

1663335043737.png

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@Andrew Shadow yes I forgot about that hitch. I almost bought a used Unigo trailer last Fall for $600 but it had some damage to the fiberglass and had issues with the registration.

The Unigo hitch doesn't usually have a ball on it as Unigo's use a different locking style. (the silver receiver with the hooks on the bottom)

1663336185372.png

There's also another thread here that shows a home built one the late KDT1911 made. I'm guessing it's a 4 bolt Truman style made from bent flat bar.

1663336315698.png

You can't do a ball hitch with a single wheel trailer. You need a specific type of joint so the trailer doesn't fall over or jack knife on you.

You can make the u-joint ones yourself for single or dual wheel trailers. It matters though which way the u-joint faces so do your research.

1663337026948.png

If you have a dual wheel trailer you can do a DIY Hiem joint style setup.

1663336808892.png

There are lots of ideas on the net for DIY trailers (single & double wheeled) as well as different hitch setups. Whatever you do make sure it's safe as you don't want it to cause you or someone else to have an accident.

I didn't think of a one wheel trailer, that's a GREAT idea, love the look of yours, was it a kit, prebuilt, or did you build it. Please show me more
That photo is from a search "DIY single wheel motorcycle trailer". You will find huge cashes of photos and info. The range of design is also pretty wide from simple mini-bike shocks to fully adjustable monoshocks. It has been pointed out to me by a couple of guys who use them that one of the luxuries is being able to wheel it into your motel room like a suitcase. There is no limit to the fun you can have designing it. Imagine your car carrier plus a pair of ST saddlebags along side the rear wheel ...;)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
And Bang! Bang! Bang! just like that, I've found THREE hot leads on used trailers, 2 within a half hour of the house, and one across the line in Mississippi!
So, just like I had thought, now it will be a rush to mount my bitch, I mean HITCH, and harness.
But I also have to find a fabricator or fiberglass shop to cut a hole in the top that can be removable and waterproofed, and a doggie windshield.
Stay tuned...

And Bang! Bang! Bang! just like that, I've found THREE hot leads on used trailers, 2 within a half hour of the house, and one across the line in Mississippi!
So, just like I had thought, now it will be a rush to mount my bitch, I mean HITCH, and harness.
But I also have to find a fabricator or fiberglass shop to cut a hole in the top that can be removable and waterproofed, and a doggie windshield.
Stay tuned...
Sounds like you are talking about a boat hatch (portlight / porthole) About $30 -$50 depending on the size of your dog. Example Here:
1663365430191.png

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
So very close! Good thought... I'll just have to find one with glass that is completely removable. It can be done.
I thought the same, great idea! If you go with the hatch the shield is already there and you can install yourself. Maybe add a hatch assist arm like on a car hatchback. Without the pup you can check the ice level in the trailer through the window. :cool:

So very close! Good thought... I'll just have to find one with glass that is completely removable. It can be done.
Places like McMaster Carr sell quick pins of just about any diameter. If you use one to replace the hatch hinge pins ...1663407667393.png now you are down to a prop stick as Willsmotorcycle suggested for the "windshield". You could consider a screen door closer from Home Depot, etc because they "lock" at whatever spread you choose. Or more simply a plain rod of fixed length.
1663408344977.png

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
I had thoughts of using a stripped down jet ski/wave runner trailer. But due to their intended purpose, would likely demand way too much of an initial investment.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Last edited:
OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Not so sure about the Harbor Freight 40x48 trailer, watched a video on building one, doesn't look to have wheel bearings, just a greased shaft the tire rotates on. That won't work a highway speeds

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Not so sure about the Harbor Freight 40x48 trailer, watched a video on building one, doesn't look to have wheel bearings, just a greased shaft the tire rotates on. That won't work a highway speeds
I've never seen one of these in person (that I recall). It is rated to carry 1090 pounds, has 4.8 x 12 tires and complies with applicable DOT standards. Sounds road worthy. Perhaps you have it confused with another model?

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Its got normal trailer hubs with bearings. I made a kayak trailer out of one of these, stretched the tongue out. Worked great, its a good place to start for a small trailer.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Its got normal trailer hubs with bearings. I made a kayak trailer out of one of these, stretched the tongue out. Worked great, its a good place to start for a small trailer.
Oh, good, the video I watched made it look like it didn't have bearings

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I have a 4'x8' version of that folding trailer for use with the car, it's a little over 200 lbs empty, so take the weight into consideration when building yours out. Once you have the box and gear in it, estimate the gross weight, don't want to be pulling excess behind you.

On a related question about bike trailers for my own knowledge, the standard 1 7/8" ball type hitch usually has safety chains. Do bikers use them or just let the trailer break free of the bike if something does happen?

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
I have a 4'x8' version of that folding trailer for use with the car, it's a little over 200 lbs empty, so take the weight into consideration when building yours out. Once you have the box and gear in it, estimate the gross weight, don't want to be pulling excess behind you.

On a related question about bike trailers for my own knowledge, the standard 1 7/8" ball type hitch usually has safety chains. Do bikers use them or just let the trailer break free of the bike if something does happen?
I think in Texas, chains are required

Top Bottom