Rob F

Site Supporter
Hey guys and gals, i"m new in town and thought i'd say Hi.
I just bought a 2007 st1300 with 101,000 kms and am in the process of learning. First thing even before riding it is to strip her down and see what she looks like under all that plastic. I already know that i am installing handlebar risers, new tires, a new kill switch, brake fluid flush, coolant change, exhaust wrap on pipes and possibly a fork brace. Not sure on the necessity of the fork brace ( Super Brace). I do have some gravel roads and may help in the wind. How are these bikes in a cross wind? I also own a v-strom dl650 and it was terrible in wind until i installed a fork brace. Any body have any input on this?
Rob F

Welcome aboard.

The bike will be affected by cross winds, especially if you have a top box. Some guys swear by a fork brace and some think it is superfluous. You can get a better idea if you go to the blue band atop this page, right end, and click on the search box. Type "fork brace" and hit enter. I found that turbulence behind semi's greatly affected my bike (negatively) after I 'improved' the damping by playing with the screw on the rear shock. Set back to the stock position and all was good again.

Check this out:

I sold my 1300 a few years ago (it got bigger and heavier every year) and have been riding a '13 V Strom 650 with a fork brace (bought it used with one). Never noticed a problem in wind, or behind semi's. The wind blast when I'm passing a semi can be surprising, but I'm used to that now. My observations might be simply because I've not been exposed to high (say 30 mph and up) cross winds.

Welcome from WA STate!!
IMO brace is not needed. Check your smc on the left front fork. Research smc for more info.
T

Welcome to the forum!
I’m addition to the brake fluid flush, do a clutch fluid flush- both can be done with about one quart of DOT4.
I wrapped the exhaust, to see if it would make the bike less “hot” to ride in summer months, but it had no effect on the heat or performance. I have heard that it can corrode the pipes a lot quicker. I ceramic coated them, but in retrospect,I would not do it all again. YMMV.

Welcome!
I'm proud? owner of a 1991 and a 2006. Both sway in the wind, which we have lots of time to time here in Texas. Got caught in a really bad wind that created an amazing tumbleweed stampede some while back. The bike was listing maybe 30 degrees at worse in the stronger gusts, felt a bit unsettling but never left the lane. Even had to stop and remove a small tumbleweed from between me and the windscreen. Great overall road trip machines.
I started riding in the late 1950's and have experienced improving suspensions. Never felt, literally, the need for a fork brace.
Changing all the fluids is a wonderful idea. While you are at it, look for corrosion at the ends of all your hoses, evidence of leaks, pliability, cracking near the clamps. Replace any, fuel/air/vacuum/water that look suspect. Just a word of caution.....the hose fittings on the radiator are very thin and can be distorted if you aren't careful. Don't over tighten the clamps.
Again...welcome.

Hey guys and gals, i"m new in town and thought i'd say Hi.
I just bought a 2007 st1300 with 101,000 kms and am in the process of learning. First thing even before riding it is to strip her down and see what she looks like under all that plastic. I already know that i am installing handlebar risers, new tires, a new kill switch, brake fluid flush, coolant change, exhaust wrap on pipes and possibly a fork brace. Not sure on the necessity of the fork brace ( Super Brace). I do have some gravel roads and may help in the wind. How are these bikes in a cross wind? I also own a v-strom dl650 and it was terrible in wind until i installed a fork brace. Any body have any input on this?
Rob F
Hi Rob! Welcome to the asylum from Milwaukie Oregon!

Howdy from little old Birmingham AL!
Most of my riding seems to be on our super slabs, well a whole anyway, and my 2008 never seemed to need a fork brace.
Ad for riding across Texas, ...I just lean into it.
Kinda like when life throws you a curve... just lean into it.

On my first tour, i knew nothing…. The slightest breeze or change in road conditions would freak me out. As i rode more and more, i discovered the weight of the bike helped. It takes a pretty big wind now to get me freaky.
I use dry bags. The top boxes look like sails to me, as far as wind goes.

I already know that i am installing handlebar risers, new tires,
... a new kill switch,
brake fluid flush, coolant change,
... exhaust wrap on pipes
... and possibly a fork brace.

How are these bikes in a cross wind?

A new kill switch - why ? (just clean the internals with electronic spray).

Exhaust wrap? Waste of time and money - not required.

Fork brace? Waste of time and money - not required.

Cross winds? Yea, you'll need a bit of riding time with this, to acclimate to the feedback. My wife and I drove a rental car 200 miles to buy our 1st ST13.

Bought it, then dropped rental off, then we rode the ST the 200 miles back in notoriously windy south Texas - a CROSS wind of about 30 mph average, for 45 minutes. Had to stop 2-3 times to compose myself, having never owned an ST. It took me about two months to acclimate to the STs "windy" idiosyncrasies, eventually became second nature to ignore the feeling altogether, and never thought about it again.

A new kill switch - why ? (just clean the internals with electronic spray).

Exhaust wrap? Waste of time and money - not required.

Fork brace? Waste of time and money - not required.

Cross winds? Yea, you'll need a bit of riding time with this, to acclimate to the feedback. My wife and I drove a rental car 200 miles to buy our 1st ST13.

Bought it, then dropped rental off, then we rode the ST the 200 miles back in notoriously windy south Texas - a CROSS wind of about 30 mph average, for 45 minutes. Had to stop 2-3 times to compose myself, having never owned an ST. It took me about two months to acclimate to the STs "windy" idiosyncrasies, eventually became second nature to ignore the feeling altogether, and never thought about it again.
I used to flip when passing freighters. Not much now, but still cautious. Now, about that wind setting up a tent!7250FC32-3857-404B-9348-A5511FEDCCEF.jpeg

Attachments

• 7250FC32-3857-404B-9348-A5511FEDCCEF.jpeg
    7250FC32-3857-404B-9348-A5511FEDCCEF.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 1
I used to flip when passing freighters. Not much now, but still cautious. Now, about that wind setting up a tent!
It helps to stand UPwind of the tent when setting up.
Secure the upwind side first, and some amount of wind can be helpful.
Swirling winds are just a big mess. Don't pitch a tent around tornadoes.

Top Bottom