BRIDGESTONE BATTLAX BT-021 ST RADIALS

Quoted by Bridgestone as "Serious Performance, High Mileage!"
I replaced my Dunlop Sportmax tires after 19000 km of great wear (rear was still O.K.) with Bridgestone BT-021. I have covered 12,000 k (7500 miles) since fitted in May 2009 of which 5000 miles were ridden in the past 3 weeks on a road tour (Interstate highway mainly) across the USA. The wear on both tires is serious with the front having scalloped on the side walls and ridged visibly. The whole profile of the tire has changed from a radius to a 1.1/2" wide flat strip in the centre and heavy marks on the sidewall. This cannot be normal?
HAS ANY ELSE TRIED BRIDGESTONE AND OR EXPERIENCED THIS WEAR PATTERN WITH ANY OTHER TIRES?
Scottie.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I just finished a 3200 mile trip with about 4200 total miles on BT-021 tires. I have not had any issues with uneven or odd tire wear. Scalloping is usually related to balance or sagging fork springs or low fork oil level.

Dan

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Search the site for "021", lots of comments here. I've never run'em so can't comment directly.

My new 1100 fave is the 160/70/17 020 reinforced rear with K-404 110/90/18 on the front. Good handling and looks like good mileage.

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
I got 8k out of my original 020's and only 5k out of the 1st 021 front. I ran the rear a little longer but changed it prior to a run out to Indy last year. I probably could've got 8-10k out of the rear but the front was toast in 5k. Mounted Avon Storms and over 12k and going strong. I'm happy with them and won't be changing to anything else soon.

My .02

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
I had a BT021R fitted following a puncture on the first day of a new job - it was all the guy could fit. It replaced the Michellin Road Pilot 2, which was EXCELLENT in handling under all conditions, which improved my performance riding. The front Pilot 2 has accomplished 16k miles and needs replacing soon; no flattening and no scallopping as the BT020s had before. I now fear a forced match to the BT021s and another expensive rubber per mile.

I can't comment on the rear Pilot 2 longevity - 3 punctures by screws kept then fresh but their construction ethos makes be believe they too wouldn't wear flat either.

One thing I have noticed with the BT021R is that the bike kicks out on bumpy roads. I'm guessing this is a softer tyre wall than the (to me) perfect Pilot 2s? Of course, this may be exacerbated by the miss match?

Flemming Rose

Flemming
Bike
1992 St1100a
STOC #
My 020's were long lasting but the front scalloped badly. I did get over 13k on them. I installed 021's last year and had to replace the front after 5k. The rear is fine. The replacement Avon Storm in the front is great but it seems to be installed in the wrong direction but the arrows say it's not. Normally, the tires grooves push the water out to the side but this pattern pulls it in. I haven't ridden in the rain yet but will later this week when I head to NC for a week of fun riding. No more Bridgetones for me.

Bike
St1300
I mounted a set of BT021's on my VFR several months ago, and a set of BT020F's on the ST last week. The 021's are very good tires, but I don't think they are made for the weight of the ST. I mount my own tires, and believe me, the 020F's are much heavier and stronger and harder to mount. The original 020F's lasted 7800 miles before getting close to the wear bars, but were worn very evenly.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
My 04 came with Dunlop 220's. Ugly wearing,cupped and flat spotted. Three sets of Bridgestones all BT020 F's. The first 2 sets wore well, (16000 kms/10000 miles) but the last set I got half of that. The set I have now is a BT020F front and a BT021R rear. They seem to be wearing OK but the 21 is very unpredictable. Very squirmy on painted lines and tar snakes and I agree with MikeG12 that the sidewall doesn't to be as ridged. From all that's been said about the Avons, that will be my next set of tires! Thanx to the forum. Marty

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
I mounted the 021 on the 1100 a few weeks ago there is an odd wear pattern starting to show like a flat v in the middle of the tire.......only 1200 miles on em......won't be buying another I don't think.....They have only seen maybe 300 miles of flatland....

Bike
04ST1300A
STOC #
Ran two sets of 021's....weird wear pattern on each set.

Went back to the 020....ahhhhhhhhh. Why did I ever leave.

--Bryan
04ST1300A
:04biker:

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Interesting, the reason I put a 021 on the back was because I couldn't get an 020 in Canada. The two suppliers, Motovan and Parts Canada claim the 020 is discontinued and don't carry stock yet an email to Bridgestone North America claims otherwise. Newenough doesn't list it either. I'll try the Avons. Marty

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Thanks for the thread - as posted before I felt the 021 rear to be a poor performer but you always worry it's all in the mind. The front will not be a match and I reckon my 4th rear puncture this year can't come quickly enough :(

Does anyone know for sure the BT021 should have been fitted to the ST at all? Only, my emergency supplier told me it was to be an excellent tyre But with it's graining up after careful running in and only 1600-odd miles I have EVERY reason to doubt they are.

Yes. It's 'squirrelly' on any uneven surface and as I travelled pretty much the same road every day for 12-months I'm a good sample of judgement that this tyre ain't up to the ST as the 020 or RP2 before it - and it's dry just now! (grumpy)

(Edit)-just recalled the Honda test rider a week back at service saying he was worried about the handling; a lack of roll rate and insecurity. He postulated the mis-match and wearing front...I wonder. He only fits 020s by the way.

Bike
'05 ST1300A
Interesting, the reason I put a 021 on the back was because I couldn't get an 020 in Canada. The two suppliers, Motovan and Parts Canada claim the 020 is discontinued and don't carry stock yet an email to Bridgestone North America claims otherwise. Newenough doesn't list it either. I'll try the Avons. Marty
Last month, my Honda shop also told me they couldn't get 020's in Canada...discontinued. I needed a front and went with an Avon Storm (and happy with it). Thought it odd because in June they were available...I replaced the rear 020. Wondering what's up with Bridgestone in Canada? :confused:
Anyone have more information?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The two suppliers, Motovan and Parts Canada claim the 020 is discontinued and don't carry stock yet an email to Bridgestone North America claims otherwise.
Last month, my Honda shop also told me they couldn't get 020's in Canada...discontinued.
You have to be careful what tire you ask for, because Bridgestone's nomenclature can be a little confusing. The generic tire, which was discontinued shortly after the BT021 was introduced, is a BT020F on the front and a BT020R on the rear. The OEM tire for the ST13 is a BT020F/BT020R with OEM code F. Those are still in production, and somewhere I have an email from Bridgestone that says the intend to keep producing the "F" version until Honda approves another tire.

If it helps any, the Bridgestone part number for the front tire is 070865 and the one for the rear is 146472.

--Mark

I found the same thing. I now have 7000k on my 021s and they are pretty much shot. The sides on the front are almost flat and just about to the wear bars. I'm not sure what I'll try next but it will be a different model or brand.
The Dunlop 220s lasted for 15000k but they were very noisy.

Bike
'05 ST1300A
Good point Mark. I also thought that the supplier was referring to the discontinued "U" (I think) version and had the Honda shop double check...they confirmed that the OEM BT-020 "F" was not carried by their 2 suppliers in Canada. Very odd. I'm going to try to follow up with Bridgestone to try to get an answer.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
I got 9000+ out of my BT020's. Wear was pretty even. At 7500 miles I thought I would get another 5000 but a 1500 trip through Death Valley and back accelerated the wear so I decided to replace both front and rear with the OEM's. I ordered a set from the dealer I bought the bike from and he received a "F" front and "U" rear. They said there was no difference in the "U" but after a quick trip to Bridgestone's website where I pointed out the differences, they acknowledged their mistake. I canceled the order. Don't assume that the dealer knows the correct tire to order. I then went to Two Brothers to place my order and received the "F" set the afternoon of the next day. Great service and good prices.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I have just put on an 021 on the front after having a blowout on the highway. 400 miles and I already dislike it.

I much prefer the 020s.

The cupping on a previous tire was due to a blown fork seal that wore the tire funny. Once that was fixed it "leveled" a little but was still too funky to ride for much longer.

Bike
'08 BMW R1200GS
I noticed flat spots on the front and rear at about 7100 miles. Ordered PR2's to replace them.

:07biker:

Top Bottom