Test rode the Feejer today

Bike
08FJR
fter I get her home and put some more miles on her I will try to make a more detailed report. Jeff

OP
OP
J Paul
Bike
08FJR
Somehow my post was cut off. The FJR handles great and has good brakes. Even the seating is sportier it feels more comfortable to me. The biggest difference is the engine- the ST was a smooth torque monster and the Feejer comes alive above 5500. After I put a few thousand on her I will try to make a more detailed ride repot. Jeff

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The light weight and lower center of gravity are the biggest plus over the ST. The ST's motor turns a bit faster at lower revs, and the torque seems better. The inlines need a little more wind-up, but anywhere over 6000 it's a rocket.
The Z6 tires are awesome on the lighter FJR. You won't like having to spend money on crash bars and sliders just to have tipover protection, but it's perhaps not totally necessary, as tipovers just aren't nearly the risk as with an ST. I would recommend at least sliders...
It's the most confidence-inspriring bike I have ever owned.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I test rode a couple before I picked up my ST. Quicker steering response, better "rush" at the higher RPM's. Wind protection less, sportier seating position, more pressure on my knees. Fairing travel more limited, wind protection less.

The deal killer for me was the "valve tap" issue potentially looming on Gen I bikes, as my budget was pushing me to the older bikes (pre-2006). The potential risk of facing a top-end rebuild out of warranty scared me away. Yikes!

I was able to get a 2005 ST with fewer miles and more warranty for less money that I could get older FJR's, with more miles and no warranty. Less demand for the ST's, I guess... I feel that I got the way-better end of the deal with the ST, for the type of riding I'm now doing. The FJR's are nice bikes- no doubt about it. But, the ST is really a much more refined ride IMHO.

Don

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I moved from an '03 ST13 to an '09 FJR a month ago. A few impressions: FJR feels (is) a lot lighter: 641 lbs vs 720 lbs, both with ABS (which is standard on the FJR). The FJ handling is more nimble and responsive, but I doubt there is much to choose in outright cornering speed. Heat isn't much of an issue, but it can get a little toasty on the shins in 90+ temps, less so than the ST. Yamaha did their homework on the "gen II" models ('06 onward) and fixed the heat issue and other problems. Riding position is sportier on the FJ and bar risers are widely farkled to take some weight off the wrists. Wind and rain protection isn't up to ST standards with the fairing being narrower and the windscreen smaller. Not bad, mind, just not as effective. Luggage capacity is considerably less on the FJ. The panniers are deep but the insides are not as big as you'd think looking at them. I now appreciate the nice-looking and spacious bags on the ST. The FJ came with bag liners.
Oil and filter changes could be done in the dark, blindfolded, on the FJ, but are spec'd at 4,000 miles. Valve checks are spec'd at 24,000 miles and have to be easier than the ST. The motor is very smooth and powerful, but has a little buzz right at 4,000 RPM which is 80 MPH indicated.

My 3,000 miles-so-far conclusion? If I were setting out to go coast-to-coast, I'd pick the ST. Heading out for a few days on the back roads of New England? Then it's the FJR.

Can I have both? Can I, huh, can I, pleeze?

pete

OP
OP
J Paul
Bike
08FJR
My first impressions are a lot like pepollaks. The fairing provides a lot less protection from weather and the windshied is a lot smaller. on the heat issue I haven't ridden her thru city streets in stop and go yet but my sneaker clad feet told me that heat is not an issue. The handling is quicker and brakes just as good. After I get her home I'll try to write a better report on the differences. Jeff

Ed_Grant

Fast Eddie
STOC #
I still can't decide which I like more, the FJR or the V-Strom for long rides. The FJ has more wind protection (with the V-Stream shield*) vs the V with a Laminar Lip. They both get about the same gas mileage. I can carry more stuff on the V but the FJ is more comfortable at high speeds. The FJ has more range (the aux fuel cell helps but even w/o the cell the FJ can go farther on a tank of gas. So I have both. :D

*The V-Stream shield with the screen about half way up gives me a very nice still pocket of air. My visor stays up most of the time on the FJ now. :biker:

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Hey, did you really mean to say that? It turns faster at lower revs? (I'll chalk it up to not having your coffee yet this morning.) :)
Duh..... coffee? The ST seems to rev 3-400 rpms more than the FJR at the same speed, therefore it's torque is readily available. At higher speeds the extra horses of the FJR take over. Not that it makes much difference, it's a V4 vs. inline and they have to have their differences.

Those commenting on the fairing width..... The buffetting you get on an ST is non-existent on an FJR. There is no buffetting behind a truck. The FJR windshield needs replacing, as some would do on their ST's as well. I put a Cal Sci on mine, +2 wider and +3 higher. When riding in the rain, as long as you're moving, I hardly get wet if I raise the windshield a couple of inches, except for my hands. I look over my windshield. Definitely the lower body does not get wet, but your feet will depending where you position them.

As for all day comfort, either bike is good. I have no problem riding the FJR all day long distance. It is noticeably much lighter, and takes less energy to work the twisties, IMHO, and whether that translates into less fatigue at the end of the day, I'm not sure. If you put a better suspension on the ST, you'd have something there and I would give the edge to the ST for comfort.

The weight factor is the biggest reason I would say I would not trade back to an ST, especially if you have poor knees, arthritis or have a shorter reach. Very much more manageable in slow speed manoevers. I joke you don't need tipover wings because you won't have the tipovers.

Either bike is great. Once you have one, you personalize it to suit your conditions and we'll all do fine on the same roads.

Ray is Right about the fairing and windshield. I had tried several screens on my ST13 but still had the buffeting at highway speeds (the Laminar Lip on a stock screen worked best for me). The FJR screen is much smaller but I can ride at any speed with it all the way down with little buffeting. In fact this helps take some weight off my wrists at highway speeds. And yes, your feet are gonna get wet in the rain on the FJ, so invest in some good waterproof boots ( eg: Sidi On-Road) BTW, the FJR lists for $14,500 (ABS is standard) and Yamaha was giving a $500 rebate last month.

pete

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
Hey J Paul,

Can you give me a comparision of the engine heat issue? Is the FJR as hot a bike to ride as the ST?
I've got an 04ST and 08FJR (best of both worlds), and the FJR of Gen. II are not as hot as the ST. I have insulation inside middle and lower cowls and under seat and tank, which makes it just about like the FJR. No need for this on the FJR. They solved that issue :bow1:.

JDP

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I still can't decide which I like more, the FJR or the V-Strom for long rides.
Ed, if I remember correctly, you and I are about the same height. I've tried sitting on both the VStrom 650 & 1000 and can not flat foot either bike. Did you have your 'Strom lowered? I'd love to have a 650 but the ability to easily flat foot it is a must.

Now for something more on thread. I'm getting ready to sell my ST1100A. The weight's getting to me and besides, after 3 ST's in the last 10 years I just want something else, ESPECIALLY something lighter and preferably with a shorter seat height so that aftermarket seats don't cause a problem. The FJR is a touring bike that is lighter so it fits that requirement. It's been mentioned in this thread that the 2006 models addressed the valve guide problem, however I remember reading somewhere that the 2006 models had a problem with the wires going to the ignition switch causing problems. Did that ever get fixed?

To those who have mentioned the lighter weight on the FJR, is it noticeable enough that it truly lessens the chance of a parking lot drop?

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Now for something more on thread. I'm getting ready to sell my ST1100A. The weight's getting to me and besides, after 3 ST's in the last 10 years I just want something else, ESPECIALLY something lighter and preferably with a shorter seat height so that aftermarket seats don't cause a problem. The FJR is a touring bike that is lighter so it fits that requirement. It's been mentioned in this thread that the 2006 models addressed the valve guide problem, however I remember reading somewhere that the 2006 models had a problem with the wires going to the ignition switch causing problems. Did that ever get fixed?

To those who have mentioned the lighter weight on the FJR, is it noticeable enough that it truly lessens the chance of a parking lot drop?
Mick,

There was a factory recall for the failure of the ignitions switches for the Gen II bikes ('06 to '09).
Click HERE for details.

The weight difference is significant (88 lbs.), and I believe the Feejer also carries its weight lower. While 88 lbs. is certainly a significant reduction in weight, it FEELS even lighter than that IMHO. I think you are far less likely to drop an FJR than the ST, but it does not have the excellent tipover protection like the ST. "Sliders" are common and MAY protect the tupperware in a static drop situation. You may want to check out THIS COMPARISON of the two bikes.

Good luck,

Rick

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
There was a factory recall for the failure of the ignitions switches for the Gen II bikes ('06 to '09). Click HERE for details.
Wow. That was quite a read. Didn't read all 29 pages but hit probably 10 or so. Tales of woe aplenty. It will be interesting to see if the new switches are the final fix.

Reading about the recall, as well as my past reading on the valve guide issue, makes me really appreciate the "boring" reliability of my ST1100. Hopefully with all the recalls, the FJR is now a rock solid machine with a good level of dependability. The FJR is the best looking of the sport touring bikes IMHO and it's definitely on my short list of replacement bikes but it's got to be reliable.

I think you are far less likely to drop an FJR than the ST,
Something I have experienced a couple of times on my ST. Even with tipover wings, I know from experience that parking lot drops can get pricey. I'd hate to think of what the expense would be like if there were no tipover protection.

Top Bottom