Beautifyl Day for a Ride

Byron

STOC #
May 1, 2010 Ride Report

When I woke up in the morning I wasn?t sure what I was going to do for the day. My 96,000 mile service was almost due but a quick calculation of my mileage showed it could wait till next weekend as it was about 500 miles off. My SpeedoHealer throws off the OD by about 4%.

It was starting off as a nice day so I figured I would start with a ride to Flo?s Airport Caf? in Corona for breakfast. It?s only about a half hour ride from home so instead of going out the 60 Fwy and through town I decided to ride down the 71 Fwy to Euclid (83) and back track a little to avoid the in town hassle. Breakfast at Flo?s was good and provided the needed fuel for my body to take on the rest of the day.

Leaving Flo?s I headed East on Merkell to explore a little on my way to Ortega Hwy. I picked up Archabald and down to the 91 Fwy just before the 15 Fwy South. I jumped off at Lake St. and took it over to Grand Ave. and up Ortega Hwy (74). Instead of taking it all the way to the 5 Fwy I cut South on Kileen Trail/S Main Divide road toward the off-road vehicle area. I wanted to check and see if the gate was open letting you go all the way to Tenaja Truck Trail/Cleveland Forest Rd. and through Wildomar. I waived a ?04 ST1300 with a top box by and never saw him again.

The day was so perfect, low to mid 60's and I was just wearing my Airglide over a T-shirt. I now had my sights set on Palomar so it was down the 15 Fwy to 79 South and then S16 through Pala to the 76. Up S6 I waived some sport bikes by and then followed them up to the Palomar General Store for a snack and break. While taking my break I decided that Idyllwild would be next on the agenda. So now it was down S7 back to 76 then North on 79, 371, 74 and finally 243 to Idyllwild. There was a maroon ST1100 headed South on 79 toward Warner Springs. I ran through a swarm of bees shortly after seeing the ST1100. It was a good thing my shield was up slightly as I would have been forced to stop and wash my visor as they just covered the windshield and front of the bike.

It was to early to head home and taking the San Bernardino (10) Fwy back had no appeal. I was going to need more fuel so I figured Beaumont would be a good place to do it. The Beaumont Ave. exit off the 10 Fwy was closed so I went down to Oak Valley Parkway and found a Chevron station. I grabbed another snack and figured that Big Bear might be nice today and headed off toward Oak Glen to avoid the freeway.
More pleasant riding as I made my way through Oak Glen and then up the 38 to Big Bear/Fawnskin. I don?t know what was going on by there were what seemed like hundreds of bicyclists headed down 38. It was a great day for a ride but I prefer mine with gas power instead of pedal power.

It was now early evening and the thought of dinner was entering my mind. I remembered that Newcomb?s Ranch was open on the weekends so that was my next goal. Across the mountain past Arrowhead and Running Springs through Crestline and down the back side to 138 past Silverwood Lake. After crossing the 15 Fwy it was up Lone Pine Canyon Rd and through Wrightwood. Hwy 2 is still closed so it was around the back side through Valyermo and across Mt. Emma Rd to Angeles Forest Hwy. From there is was up Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Rd to Hwy 2 and Newcomb?s Ranch. My luck was holding as I got there a little after 7 PM but they hadn?t closed down the kitchen as yet. They normally close it at 7 PM. I was able to place my order and enjoy my food until I got the feeling they wanted to close the doors around 8 PM.

My great day of riding was drawing to a close. I was only a little more than a hour from home and once out of the mountains it was all freeway for the rest of the trip. When I arrived home I had logged 511 miles. During my ride today I had traveled through two sections of the Cleveland National Forest, two sections of the San Bernardino National Forest and through Angeles Nation Forest. I was crossing county lines all day; moving from Los Angeles to Riverside, San Diego, San Bernardino and back into Los Angeles. There were several lakes along the way too. I passed Lake Elsinore, Lake Henshaw, Lake Hemet, Big Bear, Lake Gregory, Silverwood, and Jackson Lake. The colors from all the wild flowers also brightened the ride.

Well that was my Saturday and instead of waiting another week to do the 96K service I could do it Sunday.

Attachments

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Nice report Byron!!

I went on a little ride up the coast yesterday Hwy 1 and took the back way Nacimiento Road over to Fort Hunter Liggett and found some very nice back roads in Monterey county and San Luis Obispo county. I found some area that I had not been before. Very nice twisty roads. I hit the Hwy 101 south in Santa Margirita to home. I logged 330 miles.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's quite a ride Byron! I managed to get in 140 miles on Saturady, going down to Mac & Caroles...:D

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
I think you're going to be drafted at CreSTOC as one of the Ride Captains again this year.... :)

<D>

May 1, 2010 Ride Report

When I woke up in the morning I wasn?t sure what I was going to do for the day. My 96,000 mile service was almost due but a quick calculation of my mileage showed it could wait till next weekend as it was about 500 miles off. My SpeedoHealer throws off the OD by about 4%.

It was starting off as a nice day so I figured I would start with a ride to Flo?s Airport Caf? in Corona for breakfast. It?s only about a half hour ride from home so instead of going out the 60 Fwy and through town I decided to ride down the 71 Fwy to Euclid (83) and back track a little to avoid the in town hassle. Breakfast at Flo?s was good and provided the needed fuel for my body to take on the rest of the day.

Leaving Flo?s I headed East on Merkell to explore a little on my way to Ortega Hwy. I picked up Archabald and down to the 91 Fwy just before the 15 Fwy South. I jumped off at Lake St. and took it over to Grand Ave. and up Ortega Hwy (74). Instead of taking it all the way to the 5 Fwy I cut South on Kileen Trail/S Main Divide road toward the off-road vehicle area. I wanted to check and see if the gate was open letting you go all the way to Tenaja Truck Trail/Cleveland Forest Rd. and through Wildomar. I waived a ?04 ST1300 with a top box by and never saw him again.

The day was so perfect, low to mid 60's and I was just wearing my Airglide over a T-shirt. I now had my sights set on Palomar so it was down the 15 Fwy to 79 South and then S16 through Pala to the 76. Up S6 I waived some sport bikes by and then followed them up to the Palomar General Store for a snack and break. While taking my break I decided that Idyllwild would be next on the agenda. So now it was down S7 back to 76 then North on 79, 371, 74 and finally 243 to Idyllwild. There was a maroon ST1100 headed South on 79 toward Warner Springs. I ran through a swarm of bees shortly after seeing the ST1100. It was a good thing my shield was up slightly as I would have been forced to stop and wash my visor as they just covered the windshield and front of the bike.

It was to early to head home and taking the San Bernardino (10) Fwy back had no appeal. I was going to need more fuel so I figured Beaumont would be a good place to do it. The Beaumont Ave. exit off the 10 Fwy was closed so I went down to Oak Valley Parkway and found a Chevron station. I grabbed another snack and figured that Big Bear might be nice today and headed off toward Oak Glen to avoid the freeway.
More pleasant riding as I made my way through Oak Glen and then up the 38 to Big Bear/Fawnskin. I don?t know what was going on by there were what seemed like hundreds of bicyclists headed down 38. It was a great day for a ride but I prefer mine with gas power instead of pedal power.

It was now early evening and the thought of dinner was entering my mind. I remembered that Newcomb?s Ranch was open on the weekends so that was my next goal. Across the mountain past Arrowhead and Running Springs through Crestline and down the back side to 138 past Silverwood Lake. After crossing the 15 Fwy it was up Lone Pine Canyon Rd and through Wrightwood. Hwy 2 is still closed so it was around the back side through Valyermo and across Mt. Emma Rd to Angeles Forest Hwy. From there is was up Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Rd to Hwy 2 and Newcomb?s Ranch. My luck was holding as I got there a little after 7 PM but they hadn?t closed down the kitchen as yet. They normally close it at 7 PM. I was able to place my order and enjoy my food until I got the feeling they wanted to close the doors around 8 PM.

My great day of riding was drawing to a close. I was only a little more than a hour from home and once out of the mountains it was all freeway for the rest of the trip. When I arrived home I had logged 511 miles. During my ride today I had traveled through two sections of the Cleveland National Forest, two sections of the San Bernardino National Forest and through Angeles Nation Forest. I was crossing county lines all day; moving from Los Angeles to Riverside, San Diego, San Bernardino and back into Los Angeles. There were several lakes along the way too. I passed Lake Elsinore, Lake Henshaw, Lake Hemet, Big Bear, Lake Gregory, Silverwood, and Jackson Lake. The colors from all the wild flowers also brightened the ride.

Well that was my Saturday and instead of waiting another week to do the 96K service I could do it Sunday.

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
Nice report Byron!!

I went on a little ride up the coast yesterday Hwy 1 and took the back way Nacimiento Road over to Fort Hunter Liggett and found some very nice back roads in Monterey county and San Luis Obispo county. I found some area that I had not been before. Very nice twisty roads. I hit the Hwy 101 south in Santa Margirita to home. I logged 330 miles.
I need to start riding North a little more.

That's quite a ride Byron! I managed to get in 140 miles on Saturady, going down to Mac & Caroles...:D
I forgot all about Mac's home coming else I might have showed up.

I think you're going to be drafted at CreSTOC as one of the Ride Captains again this year.... :)

<D>
You know how hard it is to talk me into riding. :D

Top Bottom