Tucson to Show Low, AZ Loop

Tailgunner

R.I.P. - 2012/05/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Left Tucson 0630. 8 bikes(2 ST1300), 10 people headed for Show Low for lunch.

Gail (05 ST1300) led the ride. She is retired, weighs in at 105lbs and "only" has 95,000 miles on her ST.

Headed up Oracle, to Winkleman where we stopped for 10 minutes. Temps were low 50's and stayed there the whole day.

Then we rode to Superior for breakfast where some repairs were made to a Goldwing with electrical issues. Pulling all his fuses reset his dash and we headed for Payson.

Stopped in Payson for fuel and Gail's chocolate chip cookies. Then we headed for Show Low. Along the way, I ran over a rather large rattlesnake and Gail had her picture taken.

About a mile before the "Elk Crossing Zone" in Tonto Forrest, a bull Elk jumped out in front of us. Very stimulating to say the least. Forgot how big those bad boys can get.

Stopped at El Lacano for lunch and then head south to Globe, AZ.

As we headed into Salt River Canyon, Gail took off. Gail is an E-Ticket ride in the twisties. Frustrated, I was stuck behind 3 Goldwings. Once at the bottom, however, there was a passing zone. The little voice in my head said "catch her" and I took off.

Headed up is always fun and I was not disappointed. A hard sweeping left had me all the way over as I closed in on Gail. One of the Wings had started to give chase but quickly gave up. As I caught up to her, she decided she was not to be caught and proceeded to ride away. I was able to stay within 100 yards of her but no closer. This petite flower can ride! Once out of the canyon, we pulled over to let the pack catch up.

We stopped in Globe for more cookies and to say our goodbyes. I was given several suggestions as to how I could ride better to catch her next time.

As we got into Mammoth, the temps rose to 62f. We behaved ourselves the rest of the ride and departed ways along Oracle.

487 miles, I got home 13 hours after I had left that morning.

I tried my old Polaroid camera mounted to handlebars and took the following pictures. Out of 47 pictures taken, only 12 came out. Time for a new camera for sure.

Attachments

OP
OP
Tailgunner

Tailgunner

R.I.P. - 2012/05/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Something funny here. That last picture is in Bisbee - kind of not on the route to Show Low.... :confused:
VFR wins! Yes, that was merely a picture to show what a petite flower Gail is and how body mass means nothing when it comes to riding. This gal can ride.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Excellent report and I bet the ride was great too.

I have met Gail; but, the last I heard she had *lost* (totaled) her bike.

Glad to know she's out and about again!

Mark

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
VFR wins! Yes, that was merely a picture to show what a petite flower Gail is and how body mass means nothing when it comes to riding. This gal can ride.

I can totally understand a short detour to the BBC for breakfast. They have fantastic food & are great people to talk to. Seems like they would have mentioned it if they went there...

Now you've done it. I'm getting hungry just thinking about that. :D

Top Bottom