Chris's skid (AKA HerST)

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Thought I'd post some pictures with the '05's remains and accident details.

It was raining hard, really hard and the road had been resurfaced recently.
The roadway was covered with 'white bubbles' when I rode back up to find out why Chris hadn't followed me over the crest of the hill (as well as: where did that truck w the boat go!?!). I think the rain turned some of the tar/petroleum *stuff* in to an emulsion (read as 'slick' stuff).
Truck w/boat was parked in a turn out... they saw me riding back and didn't stick around.
I top the rise and Chris is standing on my right; on side of the road with no bike in sight. It was down on it's left side with the handle bars/seat lower than the tires. I tried to lift it; but, couldn't, waved at a passing 4wheeler off-road atv (street legal version) and 2 guys helped me right it.
It was very difficult to find neutral (still is this morning too) and it wouldn't start with the clutch pulled. Chris tried and then I tried... after I pushed the bike forward and back I was able to get it to shift and after a couple of tries I found neutral and started the bike. I got off to inspect for fluid spewage and found none (yea!) and Chris got on to test ride it.
In her considered opinion there was something definitely 'wrong' and she declared it 'unrideable'. I had to find out what she was smoking as it looked rashed but basically okay... She was *very* right; I should listen to her more often! :D It turns with difficulty and feels like there is something hindering its steering. I couldn't/can't see anything in the way though.

So the pictures show gouge and skid marks (zoom in on the 1st and you'll see Chris standing where the bike stopped.) Chris's, on her back, skid stopped a few feet short of there; but in the the roadway. I'll take some pictures of her gear and post them; but, it doesn't look like it did about ~120 of Chris's paces down the roadway with Chris in them.
This is Chris's 2nd test of Motoport's Kevlar Air Mesh and I think Chris is tired of being a Motoport test dummy. :D But she'll be getting more of the same (she says it might be a different color though... ;))

The double yellow shot shows gouges at the beginning of her skid.

In the "Chris is on the phone with the tow company" shot I made sure she had the handle bars 'straight' and if you look you'll see the front wheel isn't pointing true.
The shot after that shows the dash is 'out of whack', another pic shows the fairing stay looks seriously tweaked.

The final shot shows that you should always request pictures from all sides of a bike when you're looking to buy one! :)

Attachments

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Re: Chris's skid

We are glad she is ok , you can never be to blessed and protected !!!!

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #

Yup, something tweaked in the front wheel. Glad everyone is alright. Can hardly wait to get better riding gear. Great testimony.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

First off, I'm glad Chris is OK. What isn't clear from your description is what actually happened. Did the bike just slide out - - or what? :confused: Maybe I missed it elsewhere. :eek::

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300

REALLY glad Chris is ok. Everything else comes out in the wash. Sucks she'll be without a bike for a bit, but she'll get a nicer one!:)

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #

What tires? How many miles on them?
Avon STorm II front and back with over 300miles on them.

What isn't clear from your description is what actually happened. Did the bike just slide out - - or what?
You didn't miss anything and you're not confused (well about this anyway!;)).

From where I found the 1st indication of impact (on the pictured yellow line) she was in her lane when it happened so I don't think the yellow paint was a factor.

Chris doesn't know; she says that all of sudden she had no control, didn't feel like the tires were on the road surface...
So your guess is as good as mine/hers:
Heavy rain causing hydroplaning?
Heavy rain with oil releasing from the new surface causing greased lightening fall?

My bet is the 2nd as the roadway was covered with white frothy bubbles when I rode through that section and when I got back to her they were still there (from what I've seen rain doesn't normally form what looked like a white foam unless there is something else present ... YMMV though).

but she'll get a nicer one!:)
Yeah... right... cha-ching!!!
:D

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #

Bikes are replaceable. Thank goodness Chris is okay!!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

Wow, sorry to hear this Mark and Chris. Glad the gear was on and worked. :bow1: Chris, you sore now?

I too have see that white foamy water on rainsoaked pavement, and I've noticed that it is only on new pavement. Afterwards there is an oily residue on the bike which requires a bit of soap to get the film off. Traction is definitely reduced if that's the case, and a bit of hydroplane... yeow. :eek:

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #

Bikes are replaceable. Thank goodness Chris is okay!!
Thanks. This is exactly how I feel about it... Nice to have Chris standing and waving when I crested the hill... She said she knew that if she was standing and waving me down I wouldn't be weirded out. She's right... I don't care that the bike has to be replaced... she's okay and that's what counts to me.

Wow, sorry to hear this Mark and Chris. Glad the gear was on and worked. :bow1: Chris, you sore now?
With 2 bikes and 2 riders buying the Motoport stuff was a pretty big hit on the pocketbook... but, you're right... it works so it was worth it.

I note Chris has been in the ibuprofen bottle a couple of times since we got home yesterday... But she says "I'm fine"... She did seem to enjoy the spa both last night and this morning. Can't use it now as the humidity and temp is up; but, as soon as the shade hits the pool I suspect she'll be in it. (a little wine will help if there is any whining too... :cool:

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #

Yikes!...like others have said - glad Chris is okay, the material stuff can be replaced.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Wow!! Good to hear that Chris is ok. Good to hear that she had her gear on and it worked as we expect it to!! Hope that her recovery is quick. As for the bike Oh well. It can be replaced.

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Wow!! Good to hear that Chris is ok. Good to hear that she had her gear on and it worked as we expect it to!! Hope that her recovery is quick. As for the bike Oh well. It can be replaced.
And seeing as you have just gone through the 'other side' of this your comment means a lot to me.

Glad to hear your dad is home (now go mow the lawn again! :D).

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Glad you came out relatively unscathed.....

As to the cause, if this is a recently resurfaced road then there would be a residue which is released before the surface is finally cured or set, not being a roads engineer I don't really know what it is.
There was an incident over this side of the pond where a rider came to grief after a brief touch of his non ABS brakes, the local authority tried to blame the inexperienced rider but he was a recently retired Police Traffic Inspector..... (Senior Motor LEO)

In respect to hydroplaning, I think it very unlikely given the speed and age of tyres involved, this was more correctly 'viscoplaning' where the tyre loses contact due to a viscous fluid on the road surface and hence loses all traction, this can happen at ANY speed....

Not much comfort but hopefully a better understanding and respect for newly surfaced road/pavement and levels of (non) grip in the wet.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Mark,

Glad to hear Chris is OK. Sorry you two couldn't make it to Moab/Mexican Hat. I was really looking forward to meeting you both, especially Chris. :D I probably missed it, but what was your estimate for how fast she was going??

John

Top Bottom