New Zealand Tour Jan 18 to Mar 7, 2011

Bike
2003 ST1300
I do hope to post a link to some Picasa photos as soon as I get em up.
The Kiwi folk are treating me very well as expected.

Tuesday Jan 18 to Thursday Jan 20, the long ride over. I don't think I've ever spent so much money to have so little fun. Camped in the Holiday Inn in Auckland.
When I went through security in Auckland I had to send my tent to the bio-hazard agents for inspection. This was incase I inadvertently packed any unwanted critters in the tent. I heard one of the agents hummin this song.....I don't like spiders and snakes, and that ain't what it takes to love me, like I wanna be loved by you.

Friday (day one?). I took the train from Middlemore station to Taumarunui (in 100 attempts, I have yet to learn how to pronounce this). I did enjoy the train ride of about 4 hours. I walked with two suitcases and one backpack full of goodies for the long trip to the Honda shop. Mr. Paul was there as planned and commenced to installing the rear tip-over bars (Bydawgs of L A Bama). It was easy and all that stuff packed well into the side cases and the Givi box. The "biologically approved" camping gear went in a bag strapped on the pillion seat plus odds and ends in a small tank bag. The shop sent me to a key maker to fix the Givi box key which was bent and here is where I had my first lapse of memory as to which side of the road to ride on. That sure didn't take long but the street was slow moving with little traffic. It also didn't take long to get my arse back on the left side either. I sure don't want to die over here because it will take an act of congress to get my ashes back to the US I suppose. I got the key straightened and headed south for where ever I found a bed. I rode about 80km to a ski town called Ohakune. Got a real Hostel deal with a dorm room to myself. Sah-wheet.....the place was like new and I had plenty of room. A couple from Brazil invited me to help them eat their oven baked chicken so I brought a bottle of wine and picked up desert for the big feast. They had quit their jobs, sold their cars and took sabbatical?. They were hitch-hiking their way around New Zealand and in a few months are going to sign on to an environmental research vessel and sail around some of the lesser know islands of the S Pacific. They said they had reduced their carbon footprint from 34 tons (tonnes?) to 2 tons. I'm probably burning enough gas on this trip to cancel out their gains.......of which I do feel terrible about.

Saturday (day two). I met Carla (of Martinborough) near a place called Vinegar Hill and she led the way toward her place on her Ducati Monster...... that gal can ride and I tried hard not to fall behind. We cruised by an airshow and decided it was too wet to risk and rode to her place. Carla fixed a rack of lamb dinner for 5 of us and then she had her daughter take us to a party with some other riders. A few of the riders gave me some good tips for the trip. We turned in after the party, I was still trying to catch up on the jet lag thing.

Sunday (day 3) Carla was kind enough to lead me out of town and point me in the general direction of Wellington. It rained the whole way and I had hoped to get on the 2pm ferry to Picton but it was full so I had to wait until the 6pm ride. I parked at a McDonalds to use their wi-fi and get something to eat. While I was there I heard from a Kiwi biker Paul (BMWST) and he came down and kept me company until I left for the ferry. I sure do appreciate all the warm welcoming and such. The people here will help you most any way they can. When the ferry arrived in Picton, it was still raining and I took the first motel I saw.

Monday (day 4), After breakfast, I packed and headed for Nelson (north-west coast of the south island) It was a pretty ride through the mountains and only stopped briefly in Westport before I ended up in Punakaiki. I put the helmet cam on and shot a little video before the battery died. I took my throttle glove off to operate the shutter button. Not two minutes after I took it off, a bee stung me on my naked hand.........sh*t that hurt. (I know, all the gear, all the time). I rode toward a place called Golden Downs and an old fart on a Kawasaki Versys and a young fart on a BMW passed me. I wanted to ride with them and attempted to keep up for about 15km but it was few-tile I say. The guy on the Versys was really good in the curves, it looked so smooth, I was enjoying watching him ride. I could catch up in the straight sections but the curves, I could/would not. And then I remembered what the great cowboy enforcer, Clint Eastwood, once said. "A mans got to know his limitations". So I had to let em go. I ended up in Punakaiki, camping on the beach. Very nice and very soothing to sleep here.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011.. I had a good nights sleep listening to the Tasman sea lapping up onto the shore. I'll be hard pressed to find a better camping place than this. Leaving Punakaiki I had a thought in the back of my mind that I could come back this way on my return. I stopped at Pancake Rocks and really enjoyed the place. The short hike did not take long and I continued south down the coast at a comfortable pace. I don't think I've seen a police officer since I cleared Nelson? The weather was great and it made me feel good just to be riding to someplace I've never seen before. I stopped at Franz Josef glacier and walked a short way with a nice couple from Australia. They were here for a few more days and we had a good chat before they took off in their rented "Hippe Camper". It did seem strange walking though a tropical forest? to the edge of a glacier. Wonder where else you can do that? The scenery down the coast was great and I'm still looking forward to going over the passes going to the east. Just as I got into Haast it started to rain so I slid in sideways (just kidding Shafty) to another backpacker place. There are several families here eating dinner in the lobby. I have two beds in my room and no roommate. All is swell here in the south.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Nice trip report!
(now if only there were some pictures, hint, hint! :))

Ride safe!

Mark

P.S.
My son and daughter in law emigrated to NZ about 10 days ago... You probably passed them in Wellington.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Yes Mark, I went thru Wellington, in a hard rain....... here is an update of the log, I do hope to post some pics soon. Internet access is sketchy at best.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011.. I had a good nights sleep listening to the Tasman sea lapping up onto the shore. I'll be hard pressed to find a better camping place than this. Leaving Punakaiki I had a thought in the back of my mind that I could come back this way on my return. I stopped at Pancake Rocks and really enjoyed the place. The short hike did not take long and I continued south down the coast at a comfortable pace. I don't think I've seen a police officer since I cleared Nelson? The weather was great and it made me feel good just to be riding to someplace I've never seen before. I stopped at Franz Josef glacier and walked a short way with a nice couple from Australia. They were here for a few more days and we had a good chat before they took off in their rented "Hippe Camper". It did seem strange walking though a tropical forest? to the edge of a glacier. Wonder where else you can do that? The scenery down the coast was great and I'm still looking forward to going over the passes going to the east. Just as I got into Haast it started to rain so I slid in sideways (just kidding Shafty) to another backpacker place. There are several families here eating dinner in the lobby. I have two beds in my room and no roommate. All is swell here in the south.

Wednesday, January 26
Whilst looking for breakfast I stopped to look a wad of motorcycles at a motel. A lady was preparing to pack her bike and invited me to ride down to Queenstown with her group. I accepted her offer and rushed off for some coffee and food. The small cafe had a sign up advertising "whitebait" for sale. I inquired as to what this was and the owner told me it was a delicacy and said she would fix a sandwich for me with egg and whitebait fish (small minnows I was told, and not used for bait). I had to try it and said yes. It was good but tasted mostly like a fried egg sandwich to me. It was also a little pricey. I choked it down as fast as possible so I could meet up with the Boulevard group for the ride south, once again, in the rain. I did not want to delay them. We had a wet, foggy ride about half the way to Queenstown. I took a cheap room a couple of blocks from the city centre and a nice veal cutlet dinner near the lake (Wakatipu).

Thursday, January 27
I got lost riding out of Queenstown, taking total disregard of the maps in my possession. I was unknowingly headed for Glenorchy? I stopped at a wide spot in the road for a photo op and began a brief conversation with a family from up state New York? One man in the group asked me where I was going and I told him Milford Sound. He kinda grinned and said this is not the way. He kindly offered me a look at his map after he concluded I was lost. I didn't really care if I was lost and got my bearings and proceeded on toward Glenorchy (since I was so close). One lady with the New Yorkers asked me if I knew that the "Lord of the Flies" was filmed there? I said no, but I think I read the book in high school. She was quickly corrected that it was "Lord of the Rings". I patted her on the back and told her I had Oldtimers too...... and it's not that big of a deal.
Glenorchy is not a big place and I did the quick tour to within 12km of Paradise and set forth for Milford Sound (the long and more realistic way)
I retraced my steps to Queenstown, gassed up and headed for route 6 south. I had just got out of town and was stopped for construction when a fellow on a R1150GS pulled up behind me. He looked to be a professional touring type on his older BMW. I asked where he was going and I was not surprised he was going to the Sound. He passed me and several other cars and I thought he might just be in a hurry (relative to myself). In a few kilometers he was parked on the side of the road taking my picture as I rode by. He quickly caught me and we rode together, at a slightly higher speed, toward Five Rivers where a convenient cafe was waiting. I was in front so I pulled into the cafe with the BMW behind. I have probably put 40000 miles on 3 different STs and never had a tip over. Guess what, today was my day. I aimed for some parking space beside about 3 Harleys and a brand new Kawasaki Connie. Whilst attempting to turn right in what appeared to be smooth gravel, the front wheel kicked out and Shaftys' Orient Express began listing to starboard worse than the Titanic on her maiden voyage.
It didn't take long even though it seemed like slow motion. I strained the sheet out of my right leg trying to hold her up. She rested quite gently in the 3 or so inches of soft gravel and I just stepped off to the side. A fellow came over and with the help of the BMW guy she was resurrected in quick fashion. Lucky for us, we had just installed the rear tip-over bars. (another endorsement for the Bydawg bars) No damage to the bike. I went inside and had lunch with Stephan (from Germany).
We rode on to Milford Sound, quite the scenic ride I say, and set up our tents at the local lodge.

Friday, January, 28 I had been told the boat ride around the Sound was a must, so I talked Stephan into booking a tour at 9am. It was clear when we started but began to rain about half way through the ride. It was a good tour and i'm glad I took it. I met a nice English couple on the boat who gave me some travel tips. They suggested I do a tour of Doubtful Sound and I may do that. Stephan was anxious to leave and head for Invercargill so we parted ways. I wanted to stay here one more night (it rained all day) and hopefully the weather will clear tomorrow and I will head for Te Anau. It rained all night and the tent was leaking. The waterfalls nearby sound like hard wind. Somehow the inside of my sleeping bag stayed dry and I stayed warm.

Saturday, January 29 The red Orient Express took me down to Manapouri and I booked the power station tour. Very interesting for us nerdy engineering types. I got to ride a boat and then a bus over a pass for a look at Doubtful Sound. I found a room at a hostel just south of Te Anau.

Sunday, January 30 I left early for Invercargill and found some nice views of the coast. The horseshoe shaped beach at Tautuku Bay was too good to describe.
I rode on east on the south coast looking for a place to stay. I found one of those sweaters made of possum and merino wool and had to have one.
I just can't tell the folks back home I have a sweater made of 35% possum hide......... we just don't use a possum that way in the US and ours don't have the nice hair on their tails like the ones in New Zealand do. The wind was so strong in the afternoon it got scary. I ended up, none too soon, finding a room in Balclutha.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Homestead, not this trip but I do have Australia on my "bucket list" , near the top of the list too!! It does seem a pity to be this close and have to wait another year? before coming back. I will be looking for another bike swap for that trip also but I think I will seek out something more "off-roady" than an ST. I'm thinking maybe ferry over to Tasmania if I do in fact get to come over. So if you know any Aussies who would like to tour America on a swapped bike, tell em it can be done but usually takes some time to work out the details. It's never too early to plan I say.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Burt Monros' fastest Indian now resides in a hardware store in Invercargill.
I made my "correct lane" indicator at breakfast and taped it to the windscreen. There is no way that "stay left" can be over-emphasized........... it's hard to delete 45 years of driving on the right but it must be done.

Attachments

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Hmmm bike swap touring? I have not heard of that before but sounds very interesting!!!
Taking the time to visit Tasmania is a definite YES in my books! Just moved to Canberra from Tassie and there are some really great roads to explore!

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Joe, You are on a trip of a lifetime...Just hope you are getting at least some sunshine, buddy.
I envy you the fact that you don't have a language barrier as I do here in Costa Rica.
On the other hand I get to drive on the right side of the road. :)

Great ride report too. Keep them comming.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Homestead, yes bike swapping is the way to go if you hate the thought of renting. And it's a whole lot less complicated than wife swapping they say.......

Danny, it sure is shaping up to be a good trip, the scenery and the people here have been great. No real language barrier is a plus too. If I get to go "way" south like you, I may have to take a Spanish class??

Monday, January 31. I went for breakfast in downtown Balclutha and before I finished it was raining and the wind was howling. I decided to stay put for the day and try to catch up on my business in the comforts of this room I rented with wi-fi and all the comforts of a simply home. Tomorrow I must ride to parts north.

Tuesday, February 1. The weather was nice and I headed toward Alexandra with clear skies and little wind. I stopped in Roxburgh at a cafe with a motorcycle parked in front. It was a suzuki S50 with some luggage tied to the sissy bar. It didn't take long to strike up a conversation with the fellow on the Suzuki. Gordon was his name and he was from Tazmania. We ate breakfast outside and he began to tell me his story. He was here using his ex girlfriends bike to tour on for a few days. He divluged that she had entered into a new relationship with another man but was kind enough to lend him the bike for his holiday. (Who said breakin up is hard to do??) I sensed just a hint of regret in his voice but who knows? (I don't want to leave out here the significance of this breakfast I ordered. Two eggs on toast, potato cakes, sausage, sliced ham and some cooked onions and tomato. This is exactly what I don't need but it sure was good) So Gordon told me about the bikes he had (3) and his primary ride was a 1973 R75/5? BMW which he purchased in Munich while he lived in the UK. He showed me a picture of it on his phone and it looked very good for its age. On the way over I had a TSA agent tell me the same thing but it felt more like a kick in the shins than a compliment. Gordon also had a K75C, 1986 which he offered me if I ever got to Tasmania for touring his island.
Little did he know that I might very well take him up on his offer. He expressed no interest in coming to America. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to this guy and after choking down the "Big Breakfast" I followed him to Alexandra and then he headed for Queenstown. Later on I stopped in a small town called Ranfurly and pulled in for coffee and parked beside an old (82) Honda 50 that looked like it was hauling more gear than I had on the ST. I went inside for the coffee but did not see the rider and then he came in looking for me. It was fun listening to this guy tell me about his adventures riding around the south island on this very small bike. He seems content, so if he was happy with it, so be it. Bill was a big guy and (fast forward to the next day) I came up behind him and he was moving very slow. We pulled off the road and I was somewhat alarmed at how slow he moved on the highway with other traffic overtaking him all the time. No different than on a bicycle I suppose. I ended up in a nice cabin on the beach in Moeraki and it was so windy, I was glad I was not tenting this night. I took a suggested tour down a dusty gravel road and got to see a "pink eyed penguin". It was a long way off and I had to view it through binoculars.

Wednesday, February 2 (Groundhog Day!) Well in America anyway. I don't think they have groundhogs here in NZ but if they did I bet they would make some kind of usefullness of their hides! The wind really started rocking my cabin about 4 am. I looked out the window and the Orient Express was taking it well. After I checked in, several folks in tents set up for the night and I knew they were having a rough go of it. If I had owned one of the fishing boats in the harbor, I would have worried that the mooring lines would hold. It was blowing hard. By daylight, most of the people who were in tents had packed them in. Chalk up at least on good accomodation decision. By the time I had my stuffed packed on the bike the wind had died down quite a bit and I took off for Mount Cook National Park. The ride went well until I stopped for lunch at Twizel (pad thai chicken, yum). When I got back on the wind was back up and it was an uncomfortable ride for 55km to Mt Cook. I checked into a nice youth hostel (yes they let me stay despite my Olegeezer status) There is at least one more old fart couple here for me to talk to. The mountains are very nice and I even got a pic of Mt Cook without the clouds on it.

Thursday, February 3. At dawn the sky was clear around Mount Cook and as the sun came up the it made the snow on the mountain tops shiny and bright.
I packed up the Orient Express, took a few pictures and headed south for Christchurch. It was 10C when I left. I pulled into Glentanner and found breakfast. Muesli and yogurt and fruit...... I was feelin healthy today. On a spur of the moment I decided I would take a helicopter flight up toward mount cook and check it off my bucket list as I had never been in a helicopter before. I met (briefly) a really good looking Kiwi chick at this heliport but it didn't work out as I was 3 times her age. She was very quiet so we had very little conversation going. She just stood around outside a gift shop as if she were guarding it?? I'll try to attach a pic of her.
Well even if the girl did not work out, the flight went great, it was worth the price. We flew up to a mountain across from Mt Cook and landed on the snow. We got off the copter and took a few pictures and headed back. I took video with the Hero cam and it turned out pretty good considering I was shooting out the window.
I hopped on the ST and we headed for Christchurch, or at least in that direction. I stopped at St. John observatory, nice views from the hill, had a latte and freshly baked muffin and headed further east. I really didn't want to ride as far a Christchurch but I booked a room in advance at a hostel in the city centre. So I rode on and got there late, about 5pmish. What a nice location, 100 meters from the botanical gardens. I took a stroll through the gardens and it was really nice. I came upon, out of the blue or (purple), a strange looking couple and I thought they were hippies (modern). I asked if I could take their picture and they were very friendly and said "yes"! I asked if they were students and they said "no, they were "adventurers". I wasn't sure what those horns on her head were So, I decided to stay here one more night and try to tour around tomorrow and ride out to Akaroa on the Banks pennisula. Pic attached of the adventurers.

Friday, February 4. It was good cool 10C and the skies were clear. The hills on the pennisula were nice, the roads good, twisty and narrow. The approach into Akaroa was high with good views of the surrounding farmland and the harbour. There was a cruise ship anchored in the harbour and a good crowd of tourists in the town. I walked around for a couple of hours and then booked a sailing tour of the harbour on a 1962 wooden hull cutter that was designed to race in the Sidney to Hobart race. This design according to the captain won a couple of the races in the late 40s. He was a pretty good source of info and entertainer for his crew of 3. I left Akaroa and returned a different route that took me up on a ridge with a narrow winding road. The view were good on this side of the peninsula also and I stopped in Governors Bay for fish and chips.

Attachments

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
I worked my way north to the Takata which is supposed to have some really nice beaches and such. I will explore tomorrow. A few more pics attached. New Zealand will not disappoint I would say. Come if you can, but you need lots of time,

Attachments

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
I've had lamb for dinner a few times since I've been here, but I swear thats all!!

I met a lady running a cafe here and she said they have 20 million less sheep than 5 years ago. Dairy cattle are coming on strong and it seemed to be a sore spot with her and reminded me of the battles between sheep and cattle growers in the US years ago that I heard about. I think I've seen 5 million just riding around on the major roads!!

If one were to arrange a trip to AU, I think it would be cool to take the ferry over and ride Tasmania which is what I will do IF I get to go someday.

They also have those 'Short legged" ponies here too, but not many.:)

Attachments

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
JOE - How are you finding riding the ST1300 on the local roads? Do you find yourself wishing you were on a dual sport? Are there many gravel roads to the places you want to see and are they 'deep' gravel or just hard packed? Just curious.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Uncle, the gravel roads I have been on have been good. I just hiked to a beach after riding about 2km on gravel but it was good. A dual sport would make more sites easier to get to but theres so much to see, I have plenty of stuff to access on the ST.
I could spend a few more days I believe right here in Golden Bay. The beach I was on this morning was great, one hour hike to get there. I got to swim in the Tasman Sea which would be a shame not to do it once. The water was refreshing and cool. I was the only one of three swimmers with any clothing on....

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
JOE - Thanks for the information. New Zealand is on my short list for either 2012 or 2013. I'm looking at renting an ST1300 and a self-guided tour since I'll only have 14 days to see the South Island. That's the max time I can get off of work at one stretch. I don't mind gravel on an ST as long as it isn't the deep kind where the front wheel wants to wash out!

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
- I don't mind gravel on an ST as long as it isn't the deep kind where the front wheel wants to wash out!
I need longer legs, shorter seat and less weight. I wuz wondrin, if you drop an ST that belongs to someone else, do you still have to count it as a tip-over?? I ain't changin my count until I hear from the tip-over committee.....

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
What a great ride, Joe...I absolutely fall into those pictures. I would love to ride this ride with you.
You just be safe and ride on. Thanks, Buddy.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Danny D, glad you got the charging system on the mend, ride on!!

Saturday, February 5 The temps were cool when I left Christchurch and the skies were overcast. I stopped and put on my "possum" sweater. It felt good and I knew I was headed for higher elevations and I would need it. As I started to climb towa
rd Arthurs Pass, the temperatures suddenly got warmer? Not sure why but I had to take the sweater back off. I stopped at some good outlooks and got to see a Kea bird up close. Pesky critters they were, landing on the Givi top box and trying to eat whatever they could. Their behavior reminds me of crows or ravens in the states. Signs were posted saying not to feed them so I didn't. They are alpine parrots, olive green in color with some reddish orange under their wings. I got to do the "cha cha" with one on a fence rail. They were quite inquisitive and not very afraid of humans with high vis jackets and helmets on. By the time I made it to Greymouth it was drizzling rain. Some young men at the hostel I was staying in asked me if I wanted to go to a rugby league game this evening and I said "YES". I bought their extra ticket. The New Zealand Warriors were playing the New Castle Knights (Aussie team) for a charity match in memory of the 29 miners lost in the recent explosion at the Pike River mine. New Zealand won and after the game it began raining.

Sunday, February 6 The weather was wet again on the west coast, so I decided to head east and ride some new roads. I rode toward Reefton and stopped for breakfast where two riders were sitting outside having coffee. I had the muesli again and asked the two men if I could follow them down to Hanmer Springs. They said yes and I followed them down through Lewis Pass and we found a backpackers place and ended up having a Thai dinner together.
The town had hot springs you could soak in but I passed since the weather was hot enough for me anyway. As usual, the ride was nice and scenic all day after the fog cleared. Warren and Richard were riding a gravel road to the northeast for approximately 200km the next day which I had to decline. We met several foreign travelers from Latvia, Holland and Germany. All had interesting tales to tell. Some ride buses, some ride bicycles, some just hitch-hike but they all get around somehow. You meet them everyday and its great to hear and swap stories.

Monday, February 7. I got up early and planned breakfast on the road. It was a good morning to ride, just as the sun was coming up and illuminating the higher peaks around Hanmer Springs. I had a great ride all the way to Kaikoura and I went in to a cafe for the usual. As I was eating, it began to rain and I thought it would be a good day to do laundry and find a bar with the superbowl on. It went according to plan. It's still raining but is supposed to be clear tomorrow and I will head further north toward my ferry trip. I may even have a tear in my eye when I leave the south island.

Tuesday, February 8. Kaikoura looked really nice this morning as the fog lifted and I got to see the mountains for the first time. It was time to go north so, like the rest of the tourists, I packed up and got on my trusty steed and headed for Blenheim on route 1 which paralled the coast. Nice ride and the temps were comfy and the sun was out. I took route 6 to St Arnoud just to ride a different road and I guess this was the most straight stretch of road I have encountered in the south island. But it was a pretty, wide valley, with high mountains on both sides. Vineyards bordered the road a good portion of the way. It just seems like you can't find a road here with BAD scenery. Which is good! As I neared Tanaka I had to climb (Tanaka Hill) the mountain, and I don't know why they call it a hill but back home it would be a mountain. Great views from the mountain and you could see the ocean in the distance. Curvy and steep the road was and populated with many large trucks. But it was all fun and I found my next hostel with no problem. The guy running it said he could keep me busy for 5 days just looking at the major stuff. We shall see but I have planned to proceed further north in less than five days?

Wednesday, February 9 I got on the road early to a Wainui Bay and had to ride about 1km on gravel to get to the car park. There was a group of people, looked like all retirees gathered in the parking lot as I pulled in. One gentleman took me to a map and instructed me on what I could do there and gave me a few good tips on avoiding getting caught in the tide on the beach. I tagged along with their group of about 15 and got to talk to several of them during the trip. The beach and mountain just behind it were great and it was an easy hike to get to Taupo point where a few of us took a "brief" swim in the Tasman Sea.
The water was cool but refreshing they say here. We were on the trail about 2 hours and I headed back to Takaka and decided to go to Farewell Spit and ended up taking a guided tour in a "made for sand" 4WD bus. It was good and the driver was a pretty good talker and guide. The tour did not end until 915pm and I had to drive back to my room in the dark. I feel more comfortable riding the bike at night here because I have yet to see any large road kill on the side of the roads. There was almost no traffic also.

Attachments

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Tuesday, February 8. Kaikoura looked really nice this morning as the fog lifted and I got to see the mountains for the first time. It was time to go north so, like the rest of the tourists, I packed up and got on my trusty steed and headed for Blenheim on route 1 which paralled the coast. Nice ride and the temps were comfy and the sun was out. I took route 6 to St Arnoud just to ride a different road and I guess this was the most straight stretch of road I have encountered in the south island. But it was a pretty, wide valley, with high mountains on both sides. Vineyards bordered the road a good portion of the way. It just seems like you can't find a road here with BAD scenery. Which is good! As I neared Tanaka I had to climb (Tanaka Hill) the mountain, and I don't know why they call it a hill but back home it would be a mountain. Great views from the mountain and you could see the ocean in the distance. Curvy and steep the road was and populated with many large trucks. But it was all fun and I found my next hostel with no problem. The guy running it said he could keep me busy for 5 days just looking at the major stuff. We shall see but I have planned to proceed further north in less than five days?

Wednesday, February 9 I got on the road early to a Wainui Bay and had to ride about 1km on gravel to get to the car park. There was a group of people, looked like all retirees gathered in the parking lot as I pulled in. One gentleman took me to a map and instructed me on what I could do there and gave me a few good tips on avoiding getting caught in the tide on the beach. I tagged along with their group of about 15 and got to talk to several of them during the trip. The beach and mountain just behind it were great and it was an easy hike to get to Taupo point where a few of us took a "brief" swim in the Tasman Sea.
The water was cool but refreshing they say here. We were on the trail about 2 hours and I headed back to Takaka and decided to go to Farewell Spit and ended up taking a guided tour in a "made for sand" 4WD bus. It was good and the driver was a pretty good talker and guide. The tour did not end until 915pm and I had to drive back to my room in the dark. I feel more comfortable riding the bike at night here because I have yet to see any large road kill on the side of the roads. There was almost no traffic also.

Thursday, February 10. I was planning on another hike to a different bay but needed to book another night in my room. I was too late and they had rented it , so I headed for Picton to catch the ferry back to the north island the next day.

Friday, February 11. I caught the 10am Interislander ferrry for Wellington. About 30 motorcycles showed up, most were going to a Triumph rally in Whanganui. I got a good tip on a festival in Napier with a car show, concerts, art deco stuff? for Feb 20 but a motorcycle race in the town of Paeroa is on the same day. I think I will focus on the race.
A good Kiwibiker,(Hawkeye) Kenny offered to meet me at the ferry and he was there when I got off. He finished his work day while I took a cable car to the top of the hill in downtown Wellington. Nice ride and then we rode to his place where he met his 11 year old daughter and computer wiz. We freshened up and took the bikes back in town and they showed me a few sights (Mount Victoria) which has a great view of the city, harbor and airport. The airport is built on land that was raised during an earthquake and was previously underwater. We rode up a real nice hill in Paekakariki which had a stunning view of Pukerua Bay and Kapiti Island in the distance. Wouldn't you know the helmet cam battery died before we got there. We had pizza for dinner and went back to Kennys' place.

Saturday, February 12 . I slept in until 7am and Kenny cooked breakfast. We rode back into Wellington with Chloe riding pillion on Kenny's Katana 750. We went looking for a spare battery for the Hero cam but it was not to be found but I did find out where one was at further north. So we took off riding around Wellington (Mirimar Loop, Kiaro to Makara and took in the Te Papa museum in town. A very nice museum that needs plenty of time to enjoy it all. We were standing in a park with windsurfers all around when I noticed a plaque mounted up on a pedestal. I read the plaque which was in memory of US Marines who camped there during World War II and later fought and died on the South Pacific Islands. I told Kenny and Chloe that my dad and brother were both US Marines and my dad had served in the South Pacific, my brother in Vietnam. This plaque was on Pauatahanui Inlet. (for all you current and former Marines). I know there will always be a soft spot in my heart for the Marines. Kenny and Chloe have been great hosts and I hope he will come the US someday so I can return his hospitality.

Attachments

Top Bottom